MAC and PC Music Production Experiences

Everyone.

I'm going to be in the PC/MAC market this semester to purchasing one or the other for Music Production. I haven't the foggiest clue on what to pick up, and instead of asking the question, "What should I pick up for the best music production duuur", I'd rather ask what are your expereinces for the platform you have chosen for music production.

If I read something that hits the mark of what I'm looking for, I'll dive deeper into research about it and see if it's what I like and go ahead and purchase that system. I'm also starting this thread because I really am interested in everyone's opinion on the software/platform they have chosen. Hrm... I think it's fair to just state that I'm looking for something that I'll be able to use orchestral samples on further down the line, but not to the extent of maxing out all my channels. Thanks everyone.

I think you're approaching this question slightly wrong.

You're better off looking at which music production program you think is best for you and buying the computer system you need for it.

I can tell you right now that 90% of studio level music is recorded/produced with Pro Tools and the majority of film music composers use Logic Pro these days. Logic requires a Mac, Pro Tools can be either pc or mac (so most studios have both installed on one mac). Pro Tools is VERY expensive, don't buy it unless you actually need it for whatever course you're doing. Logic is cheap but macs are not.

The majority of hobbyists around here will recommend the cheaper alternatives of FL Studio, Reason, Cubase etc. These are pretty much all pc compatible and viable options.

If you're getting them for a music production course (which I assume is true as you said the word semester), ask the course director which program they are going to be using most and get that. In terms of using orchestral samples, you have to buy sample packs anyway and they usually (...usually) work the same on every program (although macs cannot use VST libraries as simply).

If you have a free choice of program just download lots of demos of programs on your existing computer and see what you like.

I see what you mean.

Well to let everyone know this is going to be for work. my budget Is going to be around ~$3,000+, so if the price is within that range I'm good to it.

I'll look at some software on both platforms when I get a chance. Just to let everyone know as well, I'm familiar with FL Studio, Finale, Sibelius, Soundtrack Pro.

In regards to sample packs, any recommendations?

macs cannot use VST libraries as simply

More like Logic&GB can't. Reaper loaded KORE Player just fine as a VST a while back when I tried. iirc.

But as for the thread, Fishy's right. You can get good tools on either side, so there's no better platform for this kind of work. Look at the DAWs and go with what you're most comfortable with/suits your needs/preferences/convenience for (school)work and go with that.

For samples, Komplete by Native Instruments should get you just about everything you need sample/synthwise, tho if you need really convincing specific instruments you should either get a product specifically designed for just that or get a live player which is probably easier than learning how to use another tool.

(although macs cannot use VST libraries as simply)

Is there a way to make VSTis work at all on Mac OS X if the binaries are compiled for Windows? Most reputable companies distribute everything as AU now so it's become less of an issue.

Also I agree with Fishy. Make sure that you're also happy with whatever OS you end up using too, since Mac OS X and Windows work differently, and that you get a machine that is going to fit your needs for the duration you own it for.

Is that $3000 for the computer alone, or is that including software, monitoring equipment, samples, etc?

As for software, huge swaths of music making stuff is cross-platform now, with the PC having a tiny edge in compatibility when it comes to obscure plugins and a few products (ex: Cakewalk stuff, FLStudio). A huge number of plugins and software are cross-platform now, including Reason, Reaper, and Cubase.

Well, Logic is a solid choice for composing on the mac side. For PC Cubase is very popular among schools/colleges and a few professionals (Hanz Zimmer uses it). FL Studio is very popular around here but it's layout favours pattern-based electronica (before zircon shouts at me you can make anything in it, but you can't argue that's not what its layout is specialized for) so there are arguably better choices for orchestral music.

Reaper is free, always worth a try for free and it is ridiculously efficient CPU wise (in my experience).

Is there a way to make VSTis work at all on Mac OS X if the binaries are compiled for Windows? Most reputable companies distribute everything as AU now so it's become less of an issue.

I've heard you can get AU 'wrappers' that can make any VST work as an AU, but I've never tried it personally.

That doesn't leave you with too much cash left over for software/samples. Most of the pro software (Cubase, Reason, Logic Studio) cost a few hundreds so keep that in mind when choosing a computer. Good monitoring can also run you up some money (and I do recommend good studio monitors, or high-quality headphones).

You can save money if you go for Logic Express or other "lite" versions of the software though.

I think Fishy, Rozovian, and I all use some breed of Logic :)

You can get an excellent iMac for music production for about half of that budget - less with an educational discount, and even less if you get a slightly older model (still very functional), and a great music production PC for $1000 or less. That leaves a considerable amount of money for everything else. With regards to samples, you should just get Komplete 7 from Native Instruments when that comes out. It's something like $500 (again, possibly less w/ edu. discount) for an unbelievable amount of samples, synths and effects. You'll also want to pick either headphones or monitors - I personally recommend headphones to almost everybody, but you get what you pay for - and of course a ~$100 mic and ~$200 audio interface won't hurt either. That leaves, at worst, about $500-700 left to play with. You can spend that on a MIDI controller plus some other toys.

Zircon really nailed it.

But I would personally go for PC just because you have more freedom for upgrades and part selection, and if you want that on a Mac you have to pay $2500 for a Mac Pro even at the lowest configuration offered, and that's just the tower.

Unlike other Macs, the Mac Pro isn't an all-in-one with a monitor attached to the computer.

And also, FL Studio is really powerful (so even though Fishy said it was cheap, that doesn't sacrifice its power at all), so if you prefer that (or another Windows only) DAW, getting a Mac for it is useless because it's a Windows program, and without OSX a Macbook Pro's/Mac's hardware isn't any better than a regular PC with same specs (What I'm saying is that if you buy a Mac and replace OSX with Windows it's just an overpriced PC with a shiny case and glossy monitor.) I'd only get a Mac if you absolutely just want Logic Studio (or other DAW's with OSX versions)

Main point is don't get a Mac unless you want your entire production suite inside of OSX (which isn't bad, but expect to dish out a lot of money and to get used to a different operating system)

I made my decision. I'll be going along the roads of a PC primed for Music Production, pick up FL Studio, Komplete 7, and headphones. Does anyone have a brand of headphones to go with? I've been using sennheiser HD 201, which is literally the first rung of the ladder, so almost anything recommended could probably top these. Thanks everyone.

I made my decision. I'll be going along the roads of a PC primed for Music Production, pick up FL Studio, Komplete 7, and headphones. Does anyone have a brand of headphones to go with? I've been using sennheiser HD 201, which is literally the first rung of the ladder, so almost anything recommended could probably top these. Thanks everyone.

I use a set of AKG K702 headphones and have been really happy with them, but they're on the expensive side ($250+) and have a lengthy burn-in period.

AKG K240's are (i hear) really good.

Make sure you purchase the FL Studio Signature Bundle at the student discount, because it's $180. This is basically the entire FL Studio Producer edition suite (with all wav slicing, recording, effects, and demo's of Image Line synths and stuff) and it includes Sytrus, Maximus, and Soundfont player. I can personally vouch for Sytrus, it has one of the easiest to use and coolest synth interfaces I've used (once you get used to it, and it's not hard to learn) and it has a ton of options. Also with a ton of options is the Maximus compressor. I've used the demo, and I liked all the controls I had. Soundfont Player is good for getting your not-as-industry-standard patches and sounds into the mix.

If you bought a computer at a flat $1000, (and assuming you get those headphones i included in the very beginning) that leaves you about $1140 if you had a $3000 budget.

That's room to squeeze in East West Composer's Collection. ;) If you want it, make sure you have a huge hard drive, because Komplete is 90 GB and East West is like two times more. If you decide not to bother, get a nice 61-Key MIDI Keyboard. The Axiom 61 is (again by talking to people around here) a very good choice (but it's like 400-500 dollar D: ). It's weighted, so it feels like a real piano. If you don't want that, the price gets cut in half (more than, depends where you buy it) and you can go for the Oxygen 61, which is like $149. If you want a more expensive keyboard with onboard sounds, Zircon uses the Korg x50 (as revealed in his youtube studio mini-tour :P). I looked at the video review for that one, it has really nice patches. (it's $600)

As for your computer, contact the prophet about PC part recommendations if you want to build your own (which should be "industry-standard" in and of itself. If you can't build it yourself, he can, and he'll ship it to you for a fee.)

Open

AKG 702

AKG 240

Senhnheiser 650

Closed

Shure SRH 840

Audio Technica ATH-M50