Star Fox 2

SubNormal J3

Polygoooons!

Also, the only reason i am happy that Star Fox 2 was scrapped is that it allowed Ninty to release the most awesome Starfox 64.

Incidentally enough, we get to play both, due to that leaked mostly-done beta.

Best of both worlds if you ask me.

Edit: Now I want there to be a Dragon Quest monster called Polygoon.

In my opinion, Star Fox 2's cancellation was crime. It blew the first game away on so many levels, and since it was that far along and the first game was so well received, it should have been finished and put out on the market. Sure, Star Fox 64 is fun and it borrowed from SF2, but there was more than enough room for both to see the light of day. And who knows what new things they could have come up with to add to SF64 if SF2 had been released (to help it expand over SF2, like SF2 did over SF).

Yeah, we get to play it anyway, but I would love to have an official SF2 cart sitting with my SF and SF64 ones.

There were like 6 characters in the StarFox 2 to choose from right, or am I wrong? The gameplay they were adding in StarFox 2 looked pretty cool. I gotta be honest, I do miss the original 4 characters and the team they formed. The latest StarFox games seems to be pushing new characters down everyone's throats (a la the Sonic series) and the aesthetics and gameplay have just veered off course with it. Not that gameplay is terrible, but the earlier games (N64, SNES) are just hands down better games. Assault just felt watered down, imo, and Command had some interesting aspects but it too didn't really feel right.

Ah, but yeah. The music of StarFox 2, from what I've heard on YouTube, sounds great, keeping up the tradition from the original. That's one thing I wish transferred over from the SNES version(s) to the N64 one, was the music. Complete shift in sound which is about the only thing I didn't like; still I'm a fan of SF64's tunes. :)

I miss the way games were back in the day, not necessarily the graphics mind you, but a lot of these older titles were just pure unadulterated fun that I don't experience as much anymore in this day and age. I could remember playing the original StarFox and StarFox 64 for hours on end, and to this day I would still be willing to play them. I don't know if I could say that for more than 1 or, at maximum, 2 games in this generation or the previous one. I don't know that I would ever replay any of the games this generation a few years from now. I don't know that I'd replay a lot of them right now (with a few choice exceptions). ha.

A sad state of affairs that is.

The music of StarFox 2, from what I've heard on YouTube, sounds great, keeping up the tradition from the original. That's one thing I wish transferred over from the SNES version(s) to the N64 one, was the music. Complete shift in sound which is about the only thing I didn't like; still I'm a fan of SF64's tunes. :)

Koji Kondo and Hajime Wakai focused for a much more orchestral and cinematic sound. It was excellent in my opinion, but I see where you are coming from. The SNES Star Foxes had a certain hybrid of genres that was really interesting and that you didn't hear in other games. Looking at OCR's database information on the composers, it appears that Star Fox 1 and 2 had different composers entirely, but they still sound very similar in both musical style and instrumentation. Though I must say that Star Fox 2 had a much more melodic approach to some of the tracks. The first Star Fox was just plain fun, honestly. I'd play it right now if I still hadn't sold my old consoles :sad:

I think one of the things that made Star Fox so popular was its edge in the graphics department. After SF64, it had lost most of that, and the childish characters were further developed to compensate for that. Honestly, the characters were always cheezy to say the least, but when the gameplay and graphics were so good, you looked beyond that or at least saw it in a different light. Similarly to how most gamers feel about Mario or Donkey Kong. It was the beginning of the end, though, when voice acting was added in SF64. Graphics and awesome gameplay kept SF64 very popular, but after that Star Fox headed into all sorts of directions, developing story to compensate for graphics and game play. There were some fun moments in the later Star Fox games, but they were a far cry from what it had been. To Nintendo's credit, Mario had some awesome sequels. So did Zelda, even when they collaborated with Capcom, and of course, Metroid Prime was incredible. Only some franchises like Star Fox bit the dust :D

Star Fox 64 is a bit of a mix of Star Fox 1 & 2. But Star Fox 2 was completely boundary-less (within the map of course).

Anyway, what I wanted to see Star Fox 2's battle mode. Unfortunately, that was already scrapped from early beta. The music to that is nostalgia of its own (I first heard it at VGMusic a long time ago).

But what really irks me is that Fay & Miyu were never picked up. In the movie industry, wouldn't that be like finishing the filming of a movie, then deciding not to release it, essentially canning the actors?

I don't know, I really like those characters.:(

I think one of the things that made Star Fox so popular was its edge in the graphics department. After SF64, it had lost most of that, and the childish characters were further developed to compensate for that.

I think you're right on that, though I never considered it myself. Maybe that's why they were showing Starfox 64 on the 3DS...

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I love the soundtracks for all of the games, but the arcade feel that the original had was really sublime. And yeah, the characters are cheesy, but it's a good kind of cheesy that fits. Everything about Star Fox works as long as it doesn't take itself seriously and focuses on blowing the hell out of stuff. And yeah, when they started compensating by putting an emphasis on story the series started to stagnate. Still, Star Fox is by far one of my favorite series.

I even have an old promotional SNES Star Fox Poster from 1993 right above my computer and I wouldn't trade it for the world. haha.

EDIT: Okay... maybe the world, but still...

There were like 6 characters in the StarFox 2 to choose from right, or am I wrong? The gameplay they were adding in StarFox 2 looked pretty cool. I gotta be honest, I do miss the original 4 characters and the team they formed. The latest StarFox games seems to be pushing new characters down everyone's throats (a la the Sonic series)

Star Fox is nowhere near as bad in the characters department as Sonic. At least Star Fox will kill off/get rid of characters from time to time.

I had the poster as a kid, it came as an insert in an old GamePro magazine, but being a kid and moving a few times, it got kind of trashed after 15 years of being pinned to a variety of walls. So about 2-3 years ago I hunted down a new one and by some miracle (after a a couple weeks of searching) I found some guy selling the April of '93 magazine on eBay and it actually had the poster in it. So fortunately, for a couple bucks, I was able to replace it.