Soulcalibur 5

PriZm

Hello,

there is talk about a new Soulcalibur being developed, and the producer (Harada Katsuhiro) has expressed interest in being closer to the community for this one. He has asked 8wayrun.com, which is the main hub of the American competitive community, to provide opinions on what should and should not be in the game and to verbalize their interest by way of a petition. I know petitions are usually useless but this time it is a bit different, seeing as the producer himself has asked for it.

If you are interested in signing the petition and providing ideas for the future game, you can find it at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Petition-to-Namco-for-Soul-Calibur-5/139645629404991.

But more importantly, I was thinking it would be awesome if OCR could be involved in the soundtrack for this game like you were with SF2HDR. It would probably be a good publicity stunt, would cost nothing to make and would certainly be well-reviewed everywhere if the music is of the same quality as the other projects.

Thoughts ?

8wayrun.com are a bunch of lames trying to be like SRK

Hey man if anything, the Soul Calibur "community" needs something like SRK. They need more awareness, they need their own Seth Killian, Daigo, Justin Wong, and more prominence in EVO. In fact, the same could probably be said about all Namco fighters(Tekken, Soul Calibur), since it seems that they just put them out there and then leave it at that.

I don't think I've ever seen a community like Street Fighter's for any other fighting game.

They also need less broken games/Star Wars characters.

I think that most 3D fighters have the impenetrable barrier that is being in the third dimension. Whereas games like Street Fighter IV have been able to simplify things to an extent(less worrying about pulling off a move and more strategy), games like Tekken, Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter, and even DOA have an extra layer of complexity, since you now have different buttons for guarding, and can side-step/8-way run/counter, and all sorts of things you don't generally see in 2D fighters.

Due to this, it's hard to create that mainstream appeal and awareness. I have friends who on occasion will play some Super Street Fighter IV and even the horrendously unbalanced Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, but won't go near Dead or Alive 4 or Soul Calibur IV solely on the grounds that they don't do 3D fighters. I have other friends who have a hard enough time pulling off Hitomi's first chain combo in DOA4(granted this guy has the reflexes of an autistic monkey on marijuana).

Then of course as I mentioned before, there's no real long terms support. Harada could really learn something from Ono and take a larger interest in extending the community life span and relevance of the games he makes. To me, that's one thing that Capcom's done all across the board that really sets them apart from a lot of other game companies.

That being said, I joined the group about a week ago and would totally be down for a Soul Calibur V, which would hopefully fix the following:

1) Character creation. Either make this a robust feature or eliminate it all together. Personally, I'd prefer the latter. It's bad enough that I have to see all the "xXxNarutoxXx"s when I'm on Xbox Live without having to see half assed plagiarisms of random characters. This honestly takes me out of the experience big time. Make something creative or GTFO.

2) Character balancing/broken characters. It can be said that Kilik is pretty much SC's version of Ken, and this is mostly true; except the part where he can spam one or two moves and win the match(of course this is mostly related to my next point). When a game has so many broken characters that are banned in tourneys, you know something's wrong. Obviously in a weapons-based fighter, certain characters are gonna have different playstyles/advantages, but a bit more balancing would still be appreciated.

3) Netcode. This is what killed Soul Calibur IV for me and I'm sure many others. It's a bit strange that up until Super Street Fighter IV in 2010, it seems to me that the fighter to do the best job of integrating (semi) decent netcode with a great lobby system in my opinion was DOA4 released back in 2006. And trust me, when you start seeing stickied threads with strategies revolving around lag play, there's something very wrong. It's also the case for a lot of people(including myself) that either don't have fighting game fans as friends or aren't near a scene to have a decent lobby system and netcode for the game. SCIV had neither of these.

I guess smaller complaints would be related to the single player modes which felt pretty bland and the plot, which probably isn't supposed to be the main focus of the game, was just too WTF for my tastes.

TL;DR: I want SCV with a lot of things fixed.

The characters are also becoming absolutely, horrendously cartoonish in terms of physiques and design. I'm all for creative outfits but not when it looks like it would take hours to slip into it and it only barely covers the nipples/crotch/ass, if the outfit actually does any of those things at all. VOLDO. IVY. SOPHITIA.

Also they'd do well to be more creative with game modes. I know a lot of people complained but I personally enjoyed SC3's little pseudo-RTS story mode, and the lack of anything resembling a story or a mode in SC4 kind of took the wind out of my sails in a way that not even Hilda could salvage.

i mostly agree, except on those points:

1) Complexity. I could understand if you were talking about tekken where you need to memorize the timing of complex 10 hit combos or whatever, but really I think soul calibur is easier in terms of execution that most if not all 2D fighters. Usually the biggest combos are something like 5 hits and it does not matter if you cannot pull them off because they don't do much more damage than easier stuff. In soul calibur you have 1 button for horizontal attacks, 1 button for verticals, 1 for kicks and 1 for guard. For most characters the hardest input you have to learn is a QCF (hadouken). Really complexity and difficulty in execution is what turned me off from blazblue and super street fighter and why I love soul calibur so much.

2) Broken characters. You are right about Kilik I guess. A Kilik that spams 2 moves can win the match just like a Ken that spams hadouken and shouryuken can win the match. It's a cheap tactic for beginners because it is quite hard to defend against, but once you find out how it becomes as easy to beat as a 'flowchart' Ken. Also there is arguably 1 banned character in Soul Calibur 4. I don't see how balance is an issue.

Netcode I totally agree should have been much better.

Let me say a few things SC is kinda of a attack base game. im fine with then but when i just ATTACK for the reason of killing you or doing a critical finish if your blocking that dumb. critical finish sucked and killed the game so befor you guy talk about Complexity,Broken characters,cartoonish charactcters fix the game system is the biggest problem, because there are 2 types if players, attack base players(Ryu and Ken) and Turtle base players (Gulie and Barlog) and because Im waiting for a opening my soul gauge breaks and i die.

you guys will never see SC2 again if (project soul) is making the game

SC3 was the reason i got into fighting games and i want it to be done right

critical finish in Soul Calibur is the equivalent of chip damage in Street Fighter. It's just a way to punish turtles.

that being said, it doesn't happen very often at all, especially at high level play, but i guess if you don't like it, you don't like it

thats the biggest B***S*** answer i've ever heard and it doesn't matter if it doesn't happen very often. IT'S THERE. it's a lame ass win and its a joke and you know it

I don't think I've ever even seen a critical finish happen in sc4 maybe that is because I play with people who are actually good at the game instead of with people who spend the entire time losing and complaining that the game isn't as good as Marvel vs King of Guilty Gear 12 Tournament Moe Edition

critical finish in Soul Calibur is the equivalent of chip damage in Street Fighter. It's just a way to punish turtles.

just did a little test. you have to block 60 hadoukens, 12 metsu hadoukens, or actually get hit by 20 hadoukens to die. suddenly dying from blocking 20 attacks doesn't seem so ridiculous. also mid low mixup and throws beat turtles, not lame gimmicks for kids and weeaboos.

Well, DJ Pretzel would have a say in that (or, at the very least, a judge or someone who has organized projects in the past).

Just for the record before I write all this, I'm a forum lurker, not an official representative of the OCRemix group. That being said, let me address your point...

I'm not really sure who approached whom for the SSFIIHDRMX soundtrack. It'd be a little presumptuous for OCR to approach someone who may not have even heard of the site before, and I'm sure they could approach DJP if they truly wanted to. The bottom line is: while a higher-up is showing interest in ideas for the game, he's not really asked for people to come in and take over part of the design process that may already be done.

It's not "PR for free," either - it's a heavy investment of time into music creation/intepretation, as well as the other behind-the-scenes tasks usually done for the large-scale projects at this website (many of which take well over a year to complete - SoulCalibur games come out every 3 years, and SCIV came out in '08, which gives us a year until fans would anticipate SCV). Heck, people haven't even remixed the other SoulCalibur games here, unless you count Soul Blade, of which there is ONE remix. Most projects on here are of games that have a strong following. While the debate is heated in this thread, the forum-goers and the remixers aren't the exact same people.

There might not be an overlap between the two parties for this kind of thing. I'm not saying OCR or Project Soul/Namco won't. I'm just saying they probably won't want to.

...But what do I know? Like I said, I just lurk.