Piano--try it on my computer vs. live performance?

Hi, I know close to nothing about writing/producing music on the computer. I have written a piano solo that I would like to play on a grand piano and submit to OCR. (Here: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29686)

My problem is that I'm a college student with a budget of $0, without any access to a grand piano, much less a studio with recording equipment. As I'm trying to sift through the endless amount of options, it seems to me that the grand piano sounds that are reported to be good cost $50+ (not that I know how to use them anyway). I do have a midi keyboard for the next seven days which I can hook up to my computer, and I have a midi file of my (not-very-professional) performance.

My other problem is that I don't know anyone else with a grand piano and a studio.

Is there a good grand piano sound out there (good enough for a solo) that would make it worthwhile for me to try to clean up my performance and learn how to get the midi to play the piano sound? Or should I look for someone else who can play and record the piece for me? (I have sheet music written out.)

College student, eh? If your school has a music department, they probably have a grand piano that you can use if you ask. Depending on what programs the music department offers, they may also have students who would be willing to record (or play) things for you.

If you want to go the MIDI route and are willing to do some digging around, there is a very good free piano VST called the Giga Continuous Velocity Piano that TASCAM released several years ago (Windows only, unfortunately). TASCAM got bought out, though, and their site no longer offers the download, but you might be able to find it elsewhere online (I haven't looked).

anvil studio is handy and free, just hook it up to a midi keyboard then as someone to put a goos refill/sample to it. :)

look on ebay, seens some good deals on there

saaw ur piano video,, AMAZIng.

Anvil studio is a great daw but

try to save up for a good daw like fl studio, OR u can always

Deadman_Pirate_flag.jpg

bay-area-oil-spill.jpg

but please try and buy :(

fl studio has a grand piano library i think of a stineberg

then get a nice midi keyboard of your choice

Well, for now I'm trying to see if I can get the TASCAM thing working (I've invested at least 7 hours in this thing and I've had to restore my computer to a previous state twice). :banghead:

Now everything seems to be working but there's no sound. There are no presets for me to load. I've searched online and I can't seem to find an answer that I can decipher--the best I've found is "Dont just copy dll, install it and set path to shared Vst directory. dll just itself won't play." <If anyone can tell me what that means and how I go about doing it, I would be extremely grateful. I see there are .dll files so I assume that's what he's talking about, but what path where?

I guess I know how my mom feels every time she tries to do add pics on Facebook... :-(

Well, for now I'm trying to see if I can get the TASCAM thing working (I've invested at least 7 hours in this thing and I've had to restore my computer to a previous state twice). :banghead:

:-(

try to stay away from usb interfaces, fire wire is good tho if your sound card supports that, but usb is know to lag and have problems with interfaces i hear/experience.

unless your talking about the cpiano vst thing then usually you copy all content of the vst to your main vst folder your host creates

If you're comfortable with your midi performance, I can render it for you. I got a few good-sounding options.

If you understand the human performance well enough you should be able to humanize a stiff performance/writing or tighten up a sloppy performance (without quantizing/making it mechanical). It won't make it awesome, but it should make it passable.

Yeah, you can send it to my hotmail account, see my messenger contact info for that one (right side of the post header, or check my forum profile). Not gonna write the gmail one on here. I'll upload the wav when it's done and mail you the link.

Also, any preference asto how you want the piano to sound? Close or distant, warm or cold, resonant or... whatever...? Some of that stuff is best done in the instrument itself.

I'll render it and get it to you tomorrow when I get to my "studio".

(why is there suddenly so much that I could do there now and rarely anything when I'm actually there?)

edit: uploaded and emailed. :D