Pokémon R/S/E Abandoned Ship ReMix

I have been going through teh OCR archives and hitting my favorite games, so this review might be a little... harsh. Remember that I love you, and I express that love in hate for whatever it is that you have for me today... (pokemon track)

I'm liking the atmosphere right off. Nice and mellow. I think something should be done to kinda ease into the first piano notes. Either hints of them sooner or a better lead up. Something to smooth that out.

Now, the piano solos that you have have the potential to be epic, It's just... Not really epic now. I think epic, like wrong sounds suddenly made right in the 12+ minute songs I'm used to.(dream theater, x japan...) The off chords and keys is interesting, but just not working for me as is. If you wanna keep that theme and make it work, this must be flawless. It can't sound like a 'hey. look what I can do!' moment. (no offense)

Drums in this are on auto pilot. Not much/any variation. Lay down a beat you like, but you gotta change it once in a while.

I'm pretty sure the static on the piano is intentional. It's a neat effect, but it's not what I like. (this is me, the me show in this comment, all about me, I personally don't like the static) I'd much rather hear a deep echo, or something else. Just... not the static.

The end chords kinda come out of nowhere. The ending needs reworked imho. Or that chord idea needs some coherence with the rest of the song.

Hope that helps.

-H

I have been going through teh OCR archives and hitting my favorite games, so this review might be a little... harsh. Remember that I love you, and I express that love in hate for whatever it is that you have for me today... (pokemon track)

I'm liking the atmosphere right off. Nice and mellow. I think something should be done to kinda ease into the first piano notes. Either hints of them sooner or a better lead up. Something to smooth that out.

Now, the piano solos that you have have the potential to be epic, It's just... Not really epic now. I think epic, like wrong sounds suddenly made right in the 12+ minute songs I'm used to.(dream theater, x japan...) The off chords and keys is interesting, but just not working for me as is. If you wanna keep that theme and make it work, this must be flawless. It can't sound like a 'hey. look what I can do!' moment. (no offense)

Drums in this are on auto pilot. Not much/any variation. Lay down a beat you like, but you gotta change it once in a while.

I'm pretty sure the static on the piano is intentional. It's a neat effect, but it's not what I like. (this is me, the me show in this comment, all about me, I personally don't like the static) I'd much rather hear a deep echo, or something else. Just... not the static.

The end chords kinda come out of nowhere. The ending needs reworked imho. Or that chord idea needs some coherence with the rest of the song.

Hope that helps.

-H

Don't worry, i can take critisism! After all, it's why I'm on here in the first place; to get other people's opinions on my work, so I thank you for that. It actually wasn't too harsh :-o

For the piano, I am definately gonna alter the filter; I sort of liked the effect that the static gave; sort of muffled to make it sound like it was coming from inside something, or underwater, but I think it probably had a little bit too much. I am really gonna add some nice echo to that too, and build on the changes. Those changes were just ideas I had at the time, so a definate expansion on all of those is definately gonna come up. I like where i was going with it, and feel that extension would be really nice for it :) Not essentially 12 minutes plus, but longer, no doubt.

Regarding the drums, I am working on a smooth changing drum line. This usually tends to be my weakest points; I'm not normally a guy to feature their percussion section, but I've always really wanted to expand on that. So yes, a drum line is coming :)

The first end chord is the chord that occurs right after main melody; at about 0:58, where the piano is featured. I believe its an A chord (going by ear). The second chord is the chord of the key the song is in, Db. The ending does have to be reworked though; perhaps a build to those chords :D