Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (Password Entry)

Wesley

Hey guys! So I wanted to do a remix of a song not yet posted on this site, and I decided to do the Password Entry music from Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. As of now, the name of my song is The Secret of the Beans. A quirky name, if anything. :P

So far, it's not really more than what the actual song is. Right now I'm just laying down the basics. More variation and original work to come in later. Please do keep in mind that this is a work in progress and there's still a LOT I want to do with this. Anyways, leave criticism, comments, feedback, something you think I should add, etc. I want all the help I can get with this. Oh, and don't worry about trying to be nice. If you think something sucks, let me know. :)

Here's the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx56HzrNLVI

Here's my remix (WIP V1):

stats.png

Clap sound is HORRIBLY thin. I can barely even tell it's there. Needs more mid range frequencies, and it needs to stretch a little more. Right now it sounds like 2 peanuts hitting the floor.

Synth lead is pretty bland.

Also, one of the synths needs some EQ, there's a bad frequency resonance somewhere with one of those sine synths.

And there's no chords :(

At 1:17 this needs lots of, well. Stuff.

The sounds you have are okay as far as what they are, but there isn't anything else there. Chords, pads, harmonies. You need stuff to give you a fuller sound on top of just a lead with filter automations.

Some EQ would help them a lot, especially the hurty in the high frequencies.

I like the idea of that set, but lose the claps and throw in a strong sound there. Rimshots or heavy effected snare back beat. Something. Also, the hats are thin alone, they need some weight to them. Some echo/verb couldn't hurt either.

It's a very slow progression getting to the meat of the theme. When it gets there, the theme is very conservative. When you expand on this, play with the bits you like and have fun with it. It's a killer source.

Clap sound is HORRIBLY thin. I can barely even tell it's there. Needs more mid range frequencies, and it needs to stretch a little more. Right now it sounds like 2 peanuts hitting the floor.

I actually rather like the sound of the clap, but I suppose it is a bit thin. You should take an old-school clap like a 808 or 909 and layer it with the existing one. Or perhaps a low-pitched snare turned down really low in the mix to help the nifty-sounding clap thicken out a bit.