*NO* Final Fantasy 9 'Save the Queen'

djpretzel

email sub file Final Fantasy IX - Save The Queen (OC ReMix).mp3 - djp

ReMixer name: Uboichi

E-mail: Uubjacobson@quicknet.com

Remix Info:

Game: Final Fantasy IX

Original Song: Rose of May

I was listening the other day to orchestral mixes of Final Fantasy games in general, when I realized there we’re hardly any orchestral mixes of Rose of May. How could this be possible!? No orchestrated version of my favourite Final Fantasy song!? Something had to be done about that! So I decided I’d make an orchestral ReMix of my own!

Samples are used pretty poorly. The wind lead at :13 sounds very unnatural, drums at :40 are pretty flat. Find out how to articulate your sounds better for a more natural feel.

I felt there were sound balance/separation issues at 1:36 once a lot of elements came in. The strings and winds sounded very shrill and overbearing at this point. More of the cluttering happens around 3:42 for the big finish.

Basically felt like 2 lengthy iterations of the material with no real dynamic contrast happening throughout the mix which comes across as minimal development (even if you factor in the drums returning at 3:42). 4+ minutes of this isn't particularly interesting.

NO

Orchestration is more than just using orchestral instruments. There is a lack of understanding of compositional and soundstage issues here to create an orchestral set up. For one, there's no orchestral placement. Everything sounds centered.

There are tonal problems here too like around 1:40 with both ify notes and the brass just doesn't blend well in the mix with the strings.

Not bad at all, it's average. I suggest you work more on your style, orchestration and execution. Listen to more orchestral music and perhaps buy a book or two on the subject. Keep up the work. Orchestration is perhaps the most difficult musical art. Keep learning and better luck next time.

NO