Donkey Kong Country "Percussion Hijinx"

Jean Of mArc

Hey All!!

It's been a super-long time since I've posted anything on these forums. Not because of lack of interest though!!

I don't know if this counts as a ReMix so much as an arrangement (so I won't submit it) but I arranged the "Jungle Hijinx" music from Donkey Kong Country for a percussion ensemble I was a part of during my University years. This is a recording of us playing it for the first (and only) time live at our concert.

Get it here: http://jeanofmarc.bandcamp.com/track/jungle-drum-hijinx-donkey-kong-country-live-percussion

Looking back, I wish I could have kept the tom drum going through the whole thing, and it's not perfect, but I think that anyone who enjoys DKC should enjoy it. :)

Performers:

Marimba: Ken Shorley http://www.kenshorley.com/

Xylophone/Wood Blocks: Jean-Marc Giffin (Me!)

Tom Drum/Glock: Jayme Keddy

Vibraphones: Adam Campbell

Drums: Trish MacAulay

Could be done better, but it's cool. Hard to not smile when listening to this. :D

Counts as a ReMix if it's posted on OCR. If you're comfortable with it, do some volume boosting and sub it, I think it's interpretive enough. That'd get it more attention, which it deserves. Might want to fade out the applause at the end if you sub it. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I actually tried to get this to happen when I was in percussion ensemble myself, but I never did. Performance isn't stellar, but this is still really cool. Thanks for realizing an old dream. :) I don't really see why this wouldn't count as an OCReMix. Submit it and see what the judges have to say, at the very least. They've been pretty easy on live performances before (since it's hard to make any improvements once the recording has already been done). Recording quality is excellent, too. I have to say though, you guys deserve louder applauses... how many were in the audience, 3? :-P

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I'm surprised by how well this is being received!! Since you guys consider this to be a valid ReMix, perhaps I will submit it after all! I'll check with the performers to see if they'd mind. Thanks for the input! I'll master it and take out the applause first though.

Sorry for the looong space between post and reply... I was off getting married and such haha. :)

Sorry for the looong space between post and reply... I was off getting married and such haha. :)

Congrats!

This was wonderful, and an interpretation of the song that manages to be incredibly fitting and still new. By all means follow the advice others have given you as far as cleaning it up, and submit it; it never hurts to try! Good luck!

Wow, I'm surprised by how well this is being received!! Since you guys consider this to be a valid ReMix, perhaps I will submit it after all! I'll check with the performers to see if they'd mind. Thanks for the input! I'll master it and take out the applause first though.

Congrats on getting hitched! :-D

The remix is really awesome and, although the mixing isn't quite as full as I'd hope for, since it was all a live performance I bet the judges would probably give it a bit of leeway on that front. The remix itself is really cool and I'd like to see it on the site, personally!

• 1 year later...