distortion pedal and accustic-electric guitar

If you're not plugging into an amp and speakers or using a digital amp sim plugin you're going to want some kind of high end roll-off or a lo-pass filter otherwise you're going to have nasty, uncontrollable fizz. If you want something cheap take a look at Behringer pedals. Here's a Tube Screamer overdrive clone and here's a distortion/feedback pedal.

Am I the only person who can't stand the tone of acoustic-electrics? :(

Many years ago when I was a total guitar noob, I heard about the magical acoustic-electric guitar and thought to myself, "Wow! I can get that yummy acoustic guitar sound through an amplifier." So I saved up enough money to buy an Ibanez Artwood A/E. A pretty penny at the time. Took it home, plugged it into my little practice amp, strummed a chord, and immediately went into a suicidal depression.

Then I had another thought. "Wait, what if I run it through some distortion? Maybe it'll at least make a decent electric practice guitar." So that's what I did. Then I vomited. Most horrible guitar sound ever.

The moral of this story:

Keep the acoustics acoustic and the electrics electric.

I tried this idea before and it doesn't work well. I personally didn't like the sound of an acoustic mimicking an electric. It felt hollow some how. I cant really describe it. So i'd go with what sixto suggests if you decide to try this. Have some kinda filter to go with the distortion and see what you find.

But really, I do agree with suzumebachi. Want an electric guitar sound? Get an electric guitar. It's just a better choice.

yeah I would have gotten a pure electric but I needed an acoustic to get into this guitar class... so I figured for both >_>

but it looks like these people got some decent distortion so it's not so bad huh?:

I wanted rock tones though... I'm hopin there's a pedal optimized for acoustic-electrics =/