Microphones for Live Recording

Jago

Greetings OCR,

After purchasing the Zoom R16 recorder, I'm interested in utilizing it for live recordings, which would be primarily my army concert and jazz bands. They typically utilize a stage that's 30x40 feet. Currently I've been using the Olympus LS-11 recorder, and it has produced outstanding results. The problem is that placement is always an issue in terms of the audience. Several recordings the band sounds great, but because the recorder is in the audience, it clearly picks up various ambient noises that sound like they're in the recorder's face. So I get ambient noises that sound close while the band sounds far away - not good.

One way to solve it is to place the recorder in front of the band, dead center and above. Problem is that my commander will certainly not go for that for live performances, so I'm looking for a pair of microphones that I can use with the Zoom recorder. It'd be nice to utilize 8 tracks for recording, but I also have to play in the band, so that would be overbearing in terms of setting up the recording gear with 8 microphones, then set up my instruments, music, etc., you get the idea. So a stereo microphone setup will have to do for now.

Next problem is that there are so many microphones out there that I don't know which to choose. I've heard good things about AKG, Neumann, Earthworks, and Shure, but I'm still at a lost. After doing some research, it seems that small diaphragm, condenser mics with balanced XLR output are the best to use for live recordings. The Zoom recorder also has 48V phantom power, so I shouldn't need to buy a pre-amp (unless anyone has recommendations). I'm willing to spend up to about $2500.

Anyone willing to give some tips? Thanks for reading.

AKG 414's are fairly standard, really good alround mic you can use for alot of things and are quite rugged with a variable directivity pattern. However, they are on the fairly obease side compared to Neuman KM 184's or 84's and will stick out like a sore thumb so your commander won't appretiate that too much.

If your willing to spend up to $2500 then you can't go wrong with DPA 4011's, really nice condenser cardioid microphones, or the 4015's with are the super cardioid version. These are very pricy but the sound quality is amazing, mainly studio mic's really but again have the problem that your commander might not like having them in his field of vission.

You could opt for a spaced omni configuration of mic's rather than an XY pair, or be really fancy and go for the full blown decca tree. That way the mics won't nessacerally be in front of your conductor, although to get a descent stereo image they might have to be in more awkward possitions than the XY pair, depends on the stage setup really.

Personally i would try and stay well away from ribbon mics on brass bands, especiaslly live ones, as the ribbon can break if dropped or gets the wind blown up it by an over enthusiastic saxophonist. But if you wanna use them by all means, try the Coles/ STC (can't remember which one has the pattent nowerdays) 4038.

Basically you want a pair of small diaphragm condensers of some kind (read above suggestions, all good) and if you've got the luxury of time maybe mic up the drum kit properly up close.

You only really need 3-4 mics to do it. Shure sm57 on the snare and kick, and 1 or 2 overheads (414's or any cheapish condensers work fine). You don't have to shell out on drums mics, people are used to the sound of sm57's on them.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was a little impatient (my own damn fault) when I was awaiting responses, so I took a gamble a got two KM183 Neumann microphones. I couldn't be happier! The quality of these microphones is quite amazing, and paired with the Zoom R16 recorder produced steller results. You can hear a recording I made here, which I was playing in the concert band for a live performance:

http://www.mediafire.com/?dd9sbl7la2cq4

I also decided to get two more mics, a pair of AKG C214s that will be used for the brass and percussion sections. I really wanted to get a pair of Neumann TLM 103 Anniversary, but the $2500 price tag was enough to turn me away. If I was recording as a profession, then I'd probably would have picked them up. Right now this is just a side gig just to gain experience in recording, and I'm doing it because many members of the band like to have recordings of performances. So I'll gamble with the AKGs and see how they sound.