OCR02087 - Tales of Symphonia "The Fall of Iselia"

djpretzel

I may be biased because I love Usa a ton, and am working on a lot of stuff with him.. but this is simply incredible. I hadn't heard this before and didn't even know it was up for submission. Really beautiful performance. They're not quite hollywood strings but they sound fine to me. The piano needs a ambient mic. LOL Sorry Usa ;-) I'm kidding!

Post your opinion

Gee Kyle, I didn't know you would post IM messages quoting me without asking first XD

Just for clarification I said that the 'sad' part is more mine than the happy one, it is because I did most of the "changes" (which was just some harmonies and some melody notes) on that part. But again, Usa did like 80% of the composing work there (and 100% of the orchestration) :P

It was pleasant at the beginning, but when it modulated I was all "damn, that's nice". This really does feel like a unified vision of a track, as opposed to a collab, which I think is actually a pretty good compliment or excellent teamwork. Interesting that this song was completed beore I even started my remixing at all too, and it's finally posted. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I remembered Usa's solo version fondly from the album. Guess it's been a long time coming to hear the updated version.

To me, the piano felt rather unchanged from the original mix, and the adaptation to the source material there was still really pretty. It does capture that more serene quality to the town at the start of the game, and played well to Usa's piano arranging strength back at the VGMix days.

And then hearing the moody part come in, in regards to writing, all the sweeping strings that managed to come in seemed to fit somewhat of a clarity to the quality to it. I think TheDeath's contributions seemed to be a completely different mixing down of the string part of the original, though for some reason a lot of the sound quality is very similar to Usa's original handling of it. Even back then it was a great adaptation to a minor key there, capturing the fall to the Desians to a T. And that sweep back into the happy part at the end was still pretty too, seeming to capture that moment of hoping to rise and bounce back against the Desians.

I may have got my thoughts completely wrong though, even down to any mixing differences, but comparing the original album cut with the track description, there comes the $20,000 question - if TheDeath was credited even for some of the writing in the original mix, how come he wasn't credited on this track for the album cut? :| I went in thinking there might've been an overhaul of the soundscape, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Clarification, Kyle?

Still a good track after all these years though, without doubt. Let's hope TheDeath comes back providing sweeping orchestrations soon, and similarly let's also hope Dan keeps upping his game for equally classy arrangements here :)

• 8 months later...

Amazing piano in this ReMix. Sounds absolutely gorgeous. That dark turn was pretty powerful, especially with the piano still going as this got a little rougher. Strings and piano make a pretty sweet combo here, and it really keeps the attention going, which is always nice. Overall, a very cool ReMix that I will greatly enjoy for a long time.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02087 - Tales of Symphonia "The Fall of Iselia"