Ok so I guess plagarism is cool now guys

Benjamin Briggs

I think P.Diddy sampled the Police song because it's among the most classic tracks out there in terms of the songwriting and production, and it really resonated with Puff. AFAIK he didn't earn a single dime off the track - basically all the track royalties went to Sting. It was really just written as a wistful goodbye to his good friend, and he picked that song to sample because it spoke to him the most. Cheesy maybe, but that's a legit reason for sampling.

I disagree with all of you who think this sucks. They aren't plagiarizing, they're covering (kinda). Since most of those artists have had a ton of other famous songs come out before these cover songs, I don't feel like these guys are talentless or rip-offs. And some of them are pretty good. My favorite would probably have to be Coolio's version of Fantastic Voyage.

More songs that may not have been mentioned in this thread are:

Sexual Healing:

Big Poppa:

On the topic of very good sampling, how about this Ludacris song using Quincy Jones' Soul Bossa Nova? Love it.

Come on, this comparison doesn't work at all. OCR does what it does with the intention of honoring the original music and talent. What's more, most of the artists here don't find tons of money and success by doing it.

The same can't be said for many of the examples posted here. Personally, I like hearing some of these examples. Also, anyone ripping on Kanye for using Daft Punk needs to listen to this:

PRETTY sure all the songs that have been posted so far are pretty clearly sample, and while they're making money off of it most, if not all of them have paid royalties, and they're sampling it BECAUSE it's identifiable and people know the original, so they're not exactly taking credit for writing the original song.

I mean...really if we're going to write a thread bitching about sampling in hip-hop, we might as well start a thread about using a double bass pedal in a metal band.

Kanye didn't sample a Daft Punk song because he was stealing it, he was sampling a Daft Punk song with the intentional of honoring the original and talent.

Oh shi-...

There are so many things wrong with this thread. Let's look at two:

1) There's the "plagiarism is cool now" part for a song that was popular 13 years ago.

2) There's the fact that Sting, who wrote the original song, gets 100% of the royalties from the "new" song.

You'd almost think that "I'll be missing you" was a loose cover with changed lyrics, released with full permission from the original artist as a tribute to an important friend who had recently died. I'm sure that's never happened before..

Relevant to the whole Daft Punk thing:

I love samples and covers, it's one of the things that led me, uh. Here. Cover game music? NOWAI! I should point out a background story: I got the Talkboy like you saw in Home Alone 2, and spent about 3 hours making a DKC soundtrack with it at funky flights and the King K Rool theme. Back when it first came out and I was 10? To find people doing this stuff is great.

As long as the integrity is there. Yeah, cover that. Just don't claim it as yours if it ain't.

VERY RELEVANT LINKS!

http://www.cracked.com/article_18500_the-5-most-famous-musicians-who-are-thieving-bastards_p1.html

I disagree with all of you who think this sucks. They aren't plagiarizing, they're covering (kinda). Since most of those artists have had a ton of other famous songs come out before these cover songs, I don't feel like these guys are talentless or rip-offs. And some of them are pretty good. My favorite would probably have to be Coolio's version of Fantastic Voyage.

I had never, ever, even heard of Diddy or Coolio until their respective "covers" were released. And to this day, I could not name one song either of them has written aside from the previously named songs. Here let me hand you the hole for your logic. There we go.