I just launched SolidComposer - a web app to help you manage your projects

I think you could be right. On the other hand, while I absolutely want people to sign up for the free account and have fun, I want to at least give the suggestion that people sign up for the paid plans. If everybody went free, I'd be paying to keep this service alive out of my own pocket.

Advertising and sponsorship, maybe? But it also depends on your business model - if you're looking for a niche, core market, or if you're preferring a larger market.

Since I'm not one of your stakeholders I can't really say anything about what you should do :)

To be honest I don't have any stakeholders. It's just me, trying to get it off the ground. I don't even have a co-founder yet.

But! I decided to make the free plan more obvious, like you said. I also upped the amount of space you get for free and tripled the amount of space you get for paid plans.

Oh, and JH not to worry, I'll get that edit competition button done soon. I gotta catch up on homework and my real job for a week, and then I'm back at it!

This is really well done, awesome idea, sounds like it must have been a lot of work. I couldn't find out how much space a free account comes with anywhere though. Maybe I'll use this in the future. I'd recommend forming a business model with sponsors or advertising so you can make money from free users too. I have a phobia of paying for monthly online services so I usually only use free things. You'll get a lot of free users.

Good point Zephyr - I should have added that to the Plans page.

Every time you start a band, it is initialized with 500 MB of space. If you have any "extra space" in your account, you can freely give and take space from any band you are in. (You can only take what you've already given.)

I'll add that information to the plans page.

I will certainly look into advertising and stuff, especially since all the users of the site are obviously musicians and ads for synths, gear, etc would be effective.

Wow, that was fast! I remember last time you talked about this in IRC with analoq, back when this was still a concept site with a built-in compo system.

Looking neat and refined now, though it's too bad you haven't been able to find a co-founder yet.

If you can capitalize on this great idea, and keep adding new features and capabilities, you should be able to widen the target audience in no time.

I'll be keeping an eye on SolidComposer in the future. Best of luck in this venture Andy! ;-)