ReMixer name: evory

Email: jeremyngyd@hotmail.com

User ID: 31417

Submission Information

Game arranged: Age of Empires III

Song arranged: Age of Empires III Theme

Game information: Stephen Rippy and Kevin McMullan; Windows

Source:

Additional information: This remix is unorthodox in the sense that it adapts the orchestral-style source into an orchestral-style remix. However, I do feel that I have made enough changes to the material for it to be considered a remix rather than a cover. This remix is very much a story more than a simple piece, telling the tale of the march to and from war. The remix starts off by introducing the A theme of the source with a couple of twists in the melody and chord structure, serving as a prelude to war, before the interruption of fanfare from the horns and trumpets. The remix leads into a strong percussion-based passage representative of war, before lapsing back into the A theme, as the battle is won, albeit at a cost. A minute tempo change is meant to disorientate the listener slightly, showing the chaos and uncertainty of war even as victory beckons, before the end of the war is signalled with a sound of the gong. The piece quotes the theme from Chopin's Funeral March, before blending it together with the B theme of the source, as the woodwinds and brass bring out the melancholic aftermath of war. Yet, casualties are an inevitability in war, and after the mourning comes a brief, hesistant yet triumphant reprise of the A theme.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Not bad, not bad at all. There's some very smart writing here, some great development and direction.

Production I'm not so sure about. The entire thing sounds like it's in a small room with some reverb applied. Timpani rolls also sound mechanical. The percussion-heavy section also sounds like it has a drumkit's kick drum in there; sounds out of place initially, especially in a straight orchestral piece like this.

I'm gonna go ahead and say YES (borderline). Not sure if other judges will have the same issues I do. Nice piece.

Going to agree with Shariq here; there is a lot of good part writing in here. It took me a few listens to pick out the theme in a few places I didn't hear before. I think the arrangement is pretty solid overall, although the minute (approximate) of pretty much original material could use some source reference to really make things solid there.

The drums are definitely the thing that sticks out to me the most. I'm not really feeling the sounds at times, especially that sort of kick-drum feel Darke mentioned. The entrance at 1:24 is what gets me the most; it just feels so...out of place because of the drum sounds. I'd say overall things feel just a bit mechanical, and it would be great if you could add some humanizing factors to this and really bring it to life.

I'm on the fence with this one, but I think the changes will really help, so I'm going to give it a NO (resub)

• 2 weeks later...

I like the different moods that the song goes through, but I do think the room sound is way cramped, like the orchestra is doing a last minute run-through before a big performance. The ideas presented are good, and the arrangement is generally solid, but the room sound, mechanical feel to some instruments, especially the drums, and the somewhat lackluster ending mean that it's close, but not quite there for me. I'd adjust your room reverb, humanize that percussion, and make a little more satisfying ending, and send it back. :-)

no, please resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty cool interpretation of the original piece through a variety of moods. Good accompaniment writing, and an interesting usage of the Age of Empires melodies. However I can't say I was feeling the middle section much. The drumkit was out-of-place in the orchestral setting, and there didn't appear to be a lot of cohesion with the rest of the song or much build to justify such a switch. It was the weakest part of the song to me, and I think it needs some rethinking, not just better production.

The rest just needs a more solid execution. What you have is good, but the weak spots should be fixed up (the drums, if you decide to keep that section; the reverb; the fake-sounding brass at 3:31). I'd like to hear another version of this.

NO (resubmit)

Ouch, the brass sample earlier on (french horn?) is a little painful. Luckily, it's only briefly used. As everyone else has pointed out, the drums feel out of place, and the orchestra doesn't sound full enough - probably due in part to the type of reverb you're using.

I also feel like the middle section, while interesting, doesn't quite gel with the rest of the arrangement. There's got to be a way to integrate that a little more. Right now, it feels kind of like a separate movement in the middle of the piece, like you've condensed all the movements into a couple minutes.

You're off to a great start here, though! I'd definitely like to hear an update on this.

NO (Resubmit)