OCR02088 - Metal Gear Solid 2 "Solid Snake's Cigarette Break"

djpretzel

Heh, there's no doubt that the Russian piece is the inspiration behind the Hideo's franchise theme, they're so similar. This doesn't constitute plagiarism, I don't think, because the two themes differ enough. But, as it has been pointed out, the MGS rendition is waaaayy better. And the jazz is nice btw

EDIT: I think it was plagiarism if credit wasn't given to Sviridov, as it seems it wasn't since it took everyone by surprise when the similarity was pointed out. But I don't know that it constitutes copyright infringement, since the creative works differed enough. I'm not sure, though, since, at least in the original MGS theme the whole structure seems to follow Winter Road so closely. I dunno

Also, I take back that the MGS theme is waaaay better. After listening to Winter Road several times, I think it's extremely beautiful

Edited by a_d

I love this kind of jazz, and this is one of my favorite remixes in recent months. I wasn't sure it would work for this theme, but I think you pulled it off. The harmonic choices were good, the tone warm and fuzzy, the development of the theme nice. I'd like to hear that melodic line get a little thicker and/or more ornamented in places. But overall very nicely done. :-)

• 2 years later...

Didn't really feel much of anything until the music really kicks in about 1:20. After that, it was like someone woke up and picked it up. Very jazzy and cool, but not exactly my kind of jazz. Still, aside from the slow start, I dug this ReMix a bit more than I thought I would. Not bad at all.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I enjoyed this one when it first came out, and still do.

The performances are nice in this one, and the source chosen is complimented in this style.

The recordings are very retro, and it kind of feels like you applied every recording technique that was used back in the jazzy days here. It of course sounds a little clearer, but still, great job on that.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02088 - Metal Gear Solid 2 "Solid Snake's Cigarette Break"