Guitar Rig vs. Amplitube vs. Waves GTR vs. Revalver vs. ....

LuIzA

I do too. though I've been trying to get as close as possible to a mic'd bass cab sound, very underrated.

God dammit computer. I had a post here but it decided to get eaten.

Anyway, good luck getting a mic'd bass cab sound without actually doing that because the software world still discriminates against us bass folks. >:-o

Regardless, I use Amplitube Metal for my guitar sound, and I think its great. I use Korg Ampworks Bass for my bass tone, its a little box I can take to live shows and things as well. I'm not entirely sure if they sell it anymore, so trying to go for that could be difficult.

That's all I got for now, I may chime in later when my lappy decides to NOT completely own my entire post.

This was probably not helpful.

EDIT: sixto, sampled bass sucks, don't do it.

• 2 weeks later...
Also, anyone ever used Native Instruments' Rammfire?

Okay, I gave this thing a try. Horrible. Sounds as bad as the Gratifier model. Totally unusable low end, in my opinion. Keep your eyes peeled for Line 6's new POD HD, though. It might be pretty cool. 16 brand new amp models, designed from the ground up. Supposedly sounds even more realistic than the modelling in the AxeFX.

Okay, I gave this thing a try. Horrible. Sounds as bad as the Gratifier model. Totally unusable low end, in my opinion. Keep your eyes peeled for Line 6's new POD HD, though. It might be pretty cool. 16 brand new amp models, designed from the ground up. Supposedly sounds even more realistic than the modelling in the AxeFX.

watchu talkin bout willis

Reading this thread and talkin with others remixers, I felt a slight preference for GR, but I dont find a consensus about Hi Gain Distortions.

Lately I found out Recabinet, an impulse cabinet simulator, and I'm getting interesting results while combined with Waves plugins and Pod farm stuffs.

Anybody here uses impulses or Recabinet?

Anybody here uses impulses or Recabinet?

I find TH1 routed through custom impulses (like Recabinet) gets me close enough to "that" sound.

ex: http://www.tindeck.com/listen/lyqp

of course, a LOT of it is proper stereo imaging, compression, double tracking, and getting the bassist to do what he's supposed to...

• 2 weeks later...

I am using Line 6 software with my 7 year old GuitarPort as hardware device/dongle. Basically grew up with their developement in this area (GuitarPort, Gear Box, PODFarm 1 and 2).

Meanwhile I have a PODFarm 2 Platinum bundle that gives me more amp models that I could ever dream of. Thing with Line 6 is that you need alot of time to adjust the sound. I think other amp simulators are better for that matter.

I am surely kinda biased through all those years of using Line 6, but no other amp sim I ever tried gave me the same ease of use, look and feel - so I stay with it.

Keep your eyes peeled for Line 6's new POD HD, though. It might be pretty cool.

Yeah, they look interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

when I have the time to mic an amp, I never bother with a second mic, too many phase problems to deal with.

EDIT: just a few moments ago, I re-recorded a project's rhythm guitars using 2 mics, my good ol' SM57 and my brand new AKG C-214, placed the SM57 an inch from the gril, off axis and the C-214 about a foot away facing the very center of the cab. Took me about 10 minutes to move around the C-214 to get the best sound I could for the time/patience constraint. But really, I was quite pleased with the result, while I could still use the SM57 signal alone, the C-214 signal complements it to come alive, though the latter doesn't sound good at all on its own.

• 2 weeks later...

Having tried Guitar Rig 4, Amplitube Metal(made specifically for Metal guitar), and many free guitar amp sims, I have to say Amplitube Metal is the best thing next to a real amp.

It has tons of really nice sounding presets, and you can tweak just about anything on it. I can upload a sample of how it sounds if you'd like. It works very well for both rhythm and lead. :wink:

You can make a good tone with GR4 depending on your guitar. It sucks with my 7-string and I find the modeling in other sims is better. :3

I think Fishy uses GR4, I could be wrong -- his tone is pretty great.

Also if you were serious and weren't actually joking about making metal, you'd be the coolest kid in school. Just sayin'.

I use GRig3 'cause I'm too cheap to upgrade.

Actually that's not strictly true. I use GRig for leads (which it works well for), however for really heavy rhythm guitar I find it doesn't cut well. For these if there's one around I use a Line 6 amp or pod of some kind. I pretty much hate digital distortion of any kind but it's my only real option in Canadia.

Once I get home you'll be hearing nothing but Ibanez > Suhr Riot > Cornford > SM57. Mo' pure.

For the Record:

All Line 6:

Omnislash

Echoes

Black Wing Metamorphosis

Just Go (this tone got rave reviews for some reason, it's just my normal lead patch with Wah)

All GRig3:

Mako Eyes

Aire Tam Break

Beneath the Canopy (although listening back I have no idea how I ever thought that tone sounded good, I suppose it fits kinda)

For the Record:

All Line 6:

Omnislash

Echoes

Black Wing Metamorphosis

Just Go (this tone got rave reviews for some reason, it's just my normal lead patch with Wah)

All GRig3:

Mako Eyes

Aire Tam Break

Beneath the Canopy (although listening back I have no idea how I ever thought that tone sounded good, I suppose it fits kinda)

Awesome, great to know. I still know a few people who knock ANY kind of soft or soft-hybrid processing, which irks me. Line 6 can sound ridiculously awesome if you pay enough attention to it. Also, I may have to check out GRig3 at some point again.

I'm totally listening later today.

Edit: Gotta say, after listening, I'm a big fan of the SM57 or the combined but not EQ'd. Straight AKG sounded massivly middle-focused and EQ'd sounded better but got ride of that great low-end feel of the SM57.

I would place that condenser a liiiiittle bit closer, maybe only an inch or two away from the grill and I'd put that 57 right up against the grill to where it's touching. I'd also maybe angle the 57 a little to get a warmer, darker tone and I'd aim it to the point where the center of the speaker meets the cone instead of aiming it dead-center.

I would place that condenser a liiiiittle bit closer, maybe only an inch or two away from the grill and I'd put that 57 right up against the grill to where it's touching. I'd also maybe angle the 57 a little to get a warmer, darker tone and I'd aim it to the point where the center of the speaker meets the cone instead of aiming it dead-center.

I'll experiment with angling the SM57 next time.

I did try putting the condenser near the grill, off axis at the other speaker, but I liked it better where it is on the picture. I didn't experiment moving around the SM57 though.

Alrighty, I scrolled this thread for any mention of Axe FX and this is the only one. I don't suppose any of you have played extensively enough to comment vs the other options discussed here?

Neko I remember in IRC a few months back you sounded like it was only a matter of time before you grabbed an Axe FX Ultra, did that happen?

Additionally, now that the Pod HD series is out I would love to hear about them too.

Basically; Your statement up there was a bit shocking Sixto; I would certainly be surprised if it is true.

I was going to go for the AxeFX until the Pod HD series was unveiled, just got the HD500 a few days ago. Can't really do any real remixing without any headphones though, so I am hesitant to record anything and put it up without being able to properly mix it.

Looking forward to hearing some clips, as soon as you can record.