OverClocked After Dark - We're BACK! 01/18/14 - You can't handle it all

Level 99

So, the minecraft server had an issue last night that basically caused it to completely break for now. New server is up and running at the same address, same general config, but none of the world is the same. I will be debugging the java.lang.nullPointerException myself hopefully soon and figuring out how to unbrick it all, because the world is still there but trying to run it results in a crash.

Feel free to play the new server in the meantime, and many apologies about the inconvenience.

So, the minecraft server had an issue last night that basically caused it to completely break for now. New server is up and running at the same address, same general config, but none of the world is the same. I will be debugging the java.lang.nullPointerException myself hopefully soon and figuring out how to unbrick it all, because the world is still there but trying to run it results in a crash.

Feel free to play the new server in the meantime, and many apologies about the inconvenience.

It must've been me. That's the only explanation. It was just fine until I had to start playing.

Nope, it appears it was my fault somehow. Flik had just hopped on, server was super busy with 8 or 9 people on at one time, and I was going to show him my newly constructed tower and cannon (!) but just as we walked through my house into my tower, the server crashed, booted everyone, and spat out a "BeatdropMusic: illegal stance" error. Sorry guys :( I must have accidentally moonwalked or something.

I encourage all to embrace the new temporary world as though it were the original one. Spawn point is right next to a little obsidian island (?) upon which I erected a welcome sign and a bunch of torches, but there isn't any other landmasses in extremely close proximity, so you'll have to pick a direction and branch out. Might I suggest leaving signs on the obsidian spawn point pointing in the direction in which you travelled?

The obsidian island was my doing. It was a philosophical message that this temporary server be as stable as the obsidian upon which you spawn, and that it be only an island as the continent proper of OCADia is fixed and returned to normal. Indeed, embrace this one as if the other was gone forever, but keep up the hope that the giant bridge and whatnot shall return.

As to what happened, I've seen issues where illegalstance instances cause things to break, but never embeded into the java files. The server executable itself can generate new worlds and run them just fine, even using previous files (such as the properties and list files). The issue is coming from how the world files (.MCR) are being read and processed by the app. Something got bugged in the world layout, and I think that figuring out a way to edit, or at the very least roll-back, some of the world data could fix the issue.

I am going to take the broken bundle and email notch + crew, plus probably make a post on their forums, so the people who already might have some knowledge of the issue can go take a look. If anyone else is interested in the broken server files and wants to take a look, let me know and I'll upload it and post it for people to get.

• 2 weeks later...

Episode 53 - Brian Fortress and the Castle of Bambi features the return of Sivak, creator of Battle Kid and the Fortress of Peril. We grill him on what Battle Kid 2 will contain, amongst other things, including Bambis pooping Bambis.

Episode 54 - Rock on Jimmy, SHIT features Grant Kirkhope, the composer of Goldeneye 007, Banjo Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, and more! We chat with him about working for Rare, making music as VG composer, and what it is like to speak the Queen's English.

Episode 54 - Rock on Jimmy, SHIT features Grant Kirkhope, the composer of Goldeneye 007, Banjo Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, and more! We chat with him about working for Rare, making music as VG composer, and what it is like to speak the Queen's English.

Grant is an awesome human being. Have you taken him out to drinks yet?