Selling Remixes

Kurayami311

Heya

Just thought I ask that question seeing that it's bugging me for a while. I just wanna know if there is a possibility of selling the remixes and/or originals you've made online somewhere, just to gain some steady profit. Knowing that the original music has been copyrighted, if my arrangements are copyrighted then that's a problem. Can anyone clarify this theory for me? Cheers. :)

I find this very strange.

Not to disagree with the earlier posters as they're right, however in certain events such as Comiket you have bands/groups/artists selling arrangements/remixes of original music seemingly with little to no complaint from the actual creators. Is this just under law of the land or more?

Never really thought about it till now.

A few points of clarification:

1. It is not almost impossible to sell arrangements of existing music. In fact, it's extremely easy in the U.S. - there is a provision in our copyright law that forces copyright holders to allow their songs to be covered and re-sold, provided the cover artist pays a royalty of 9.1 cents per song (per album) sold. Of course, this rate can be manually negotiated IF people so desire, but that is the automatic default which can't be contested. Furthermore, there is even a website/organization (Harry Fox Agency) that allows people to purchase licenses of existing music all in a webstore. No waiting, just type in the song info, # of copies and hit purchase. Couldn't be easier.

2. I can't speak for events LIKE Comiket, but at Comiket itself a lot of the music is arrangements of Touhou, whose author put it in the public domain for anyone to remix/arrange/resell. That's why it's so popular, or at least, one of the reasons.

1. It is not almost impossible to sell arrangements of existing music. In fact, it's extremely easy in the U.S. - there is a provision in our copyright law that forces copyright holders to allow their songs to be covered and re-sold, provided the cover artist pays a royalty of 9.1 cents per song (per album) sold. Of course, this rate can be manually negotiated IF people so desire, but that is the automatic default which can't be contested. Furthermore, there is even a website/organization (Harry Fox Agency) that allows people to purchase licenses of existing music all in a webstore. No waiting, just type in the song info, # of copies and hit purchase. Couldn't be easier.

Well I thought the OP meant without having to go through royalty stuff. :(

• 1 month later...

I've pressed albums with covers on them. You need the correct paperwork signed and delivered before they will print the CDs at the plant. This is a mechanical rights (actual sound) vs. song rights (abstract notes)issue.

As for using your own covers in an open source game... I can't imagine anybody would sue over that, until there was money that started flowing. I think it depends on the game / artist.

For CDs, yes (at least, if you live in the US). For live performances, I'm not sure, though I remember hearing something once about venues in which live music is performed getting a license to cover those costs. Although, that might apply more to a band playing in a bar as opposed to specifically organizing a concert. But as far as selling the music itself, and not tickets to a live performance of the music, yes, that agency would probably be the one to talk to.