OCR00509 - Phantasy Star IV "Last Breath, First Breath"

orkybash

Phantasy Star IV 'Last Breath, First Breath'

Can I really say anything bad about djpPretzel's remixes? Regardless of the answer, I wouldn't have to here. Very well orchestrated, and very emotional. The high quality samples are the icing on the cake. My favorite moment has to be around 2:40 when it bursts from the quiet piano and strings into louder instrumentation, a transition that though simple is very inspiring. I dig mucho.

• 1 month later...

I like it when DJP branches out. The results are always interesting and in this case I'd say near perfect. The tune has been arranged very well and the emotion has been enhanced greatly with the new instrumentation. I want to see more like this from DJP. Whether you have played the game or not, I feel that this ReMix is worth a download and can be appreciated by all who like good music and don't limit themselves to lisrening to just a few different genres of music. Just 'cause it's "slow" doesn't mean it's bad.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This bring is extremelly well done, with a mix of orchestral and some accoustics and piano, this makes something that you dont quite see every day, but that i wish we did.

DJP's Least Breath First Breath is one of those pieces that should be in orignal soundtracks.

Good job agani on this one.

Oh boy, after playing this series just for this song, it's amazing how much was expanded from the original. The original was very minimal, almost awkward sounding. Listening to this reminds me of all the games I've played. You always come across a sad part. Makes me want to cry :'|

I don't play this much because I'm not in the mood for sadness a lot.

Ugh, can't say much, just listen!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I am not sure if this is quite the right place for this but it goes under "Appreciating the Song" so anyway. Shortly after I first heard this piece I "showed" it to my friends and my Dungeon Master for Dungeons and Dragons was one of them. He listened to the whole thing, asked where I got it and got a strange look on his face but I didn't think anything of it at the time. A few days ago we had a funeral for one of the characters because the guy who was playing him is moving away. My DM pulled out this CD and put it in a stereo and when we got to the eulogy he played that song and just hit repeat. I swear to God, everyone, including me (who had listened to the song a bunch of times before) had tears in their eyes. It was just the perfect song, so full of emotion and sadness and yet full of hope. Well just wanted to throw in my two cents.

• 3 months later...

I personally felt Alys' death far more than Aerith's death. This song welled up many emotions within me. Many of them being variations of pain and sadness. A song is truly a masterpiece if it does that to a person. I usually refrain from listening to sad or depressing music, but every now and then, I load this one up and just let the emotions flow. It's good to know someone else out there truly felt the depth of this remix's original song.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Too bad I haven't played any Phantasy Star, this song sounds like something you need to have listened to. Djpretzel creates a very tragic mood to it using violins (excellent choice) and a piano, but somehow brings some passion into it with an acoustic guitar. It almost wants you to shed a tear for Alys. I don't really get the title of this remix, it doesn't make much sense, but poetry fits into this scene quite well.

We may have lost a PS character, but that event gave birth to this remix. Thank you djpretzel.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

beautifully written with a great choice of instrumentation. This has quickly become one of my favorites of djp's mixes. Very emotive, and at the same time something is always moving in the song. Its a great song to listen to when you are down because of this. Some slower songs achieve the same level of sadness and emotion, but this is one of the few to capture that feeling while keeping the song interesting, unpredictable, and refreshing.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Holy guitar sequencing. :o

When it gets to the higher registers, it doesn't sound as strong, but the lower stuff is beautifully emotive. A few of the backing elements could benefit from stronger samples, notably the cello, but they don't specifically drag the mix down, just breaks a bit of the illusion. Piano throughout is great though.

Really emotive work, I like it a lot. It makes a pretty good case for checking out the PS4 soundtrack.

• 1 year later...

Love the choice of instrumentation, as you can really feel the sense of melancholy that Chaz is feeling after losing his mentor and friend. This is in my iPod, right now! Wish there was more PS on here, the source material from the series is excellent, IMHO.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Never posted here (I'm surprised), but the arrangement here is excellent, with genteel yet solemn instrumentation. This one's vastly underrated.

Even back in the day, the variety and creativity within the community was strong, with djp leading the way. The genre diversity's grown since 2002, but the focus on creativity has been there since the beginning.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00509 - Phantasy Star IV "Last Breath, First Breath"