Phantasy Star 4 - Sakura Storm

Guifrog

Going ahead with my world tour, it's time for Japan!

Remix:

*update!*

http://ocrwip.fireslash.net/?fid=901

Source:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61IAHniwWWw

I was highly inspired on bLiNd's work for this one, so there's lots of synths, effects, melody etc. What do you guys think, do you actually see cherry-blossoms around?

Please comment/criticize :D

Holy! It's that guy who made that cool DKR mix :) All 3 of my siblings also loved that mix because it was one of the few games we all played together years ago. Awesome stuff.

This new mix is pretty tame in comparison, but I get that you were going for beauty. I'm still new to all this, so I might be missing something wrong with the mix. That said, I love it.. very calming. I envy how quickly you seem to have grasped the art of playing a theme several different ways to keep things fresh. I'm half tempted to ask you for lessons!

But yeah, I'll leave this up to the pro's to critique. The only thing I can say for certain was awkward for me were how the harp stringy thing blended together using delay around 1:00. That could just be a "me" thing, though.

I'll be following your work, man. Keep it up :)

I like the drums and the groove. Not liking the really off rhythm and (sometimes) off key koto/harp thing at 1:00.

1:24 Synths are pretty 90's techno generic-ish...

1:49 Same problem. The lead synth doesn't pack any punch and sounds like a general MIDI soundfont orchestral hit.

I'm not gonna comment on anything else till you fix those problems, because they're in a lot of the mix.

Arrangement's pretty cool, but whenever you have a chorus or any section with a beat and a main melody you're neglecting to give it chords, which makes it sound empty and like it's an intro rather than a main part.

Thank you guys, and thank you neblix for the crits! Just one thing though, the off-rhythm koto playing was intentional, as I wanted it to slide through the break without sounding as sequenced as the rest. Maybe I overdid it, but I feel like waiting for more feedback on that ;P

But I've followed your other recommendations, and adjusted some mastering issues as well. Linky:

http://ocrwip.fireslash.net/?fid=901

:D

I like most of it, 1:51 feels like there is too much in the middle when you could have a more contrasting bass vs treble part, then you could slowly fill in haha.

Right after that i feel the koto is all by itself with too much bass. needs some support in the treble, a little bit more? When the flute comes in around the 3 min mark it is definitely good though

Starting at 4:22? When the koto/flute are basically both having the lead melody, I feel like that part could be longer and I want to hear the two harmonize rather than having some of the same notes!

other than that, intense and I like it.