*NO* Griffey's Winning Run 'Play It, Kid!'

djpretzel

Soundclick only let me stream, not download, for this. What a click, indeed... - djp

DJP-

So... yes this is a remix of a sports game. The menus had pretty good music though... but it was on SNES, so I decided to give it an overhaul. I've gotten alot of mixed feedback from the WIP forums... people either liked it or hated it... no one was really on the fence... so I hope enough of you are in favor of this one to let it pass... if not, I'll try again later.

The remix itself is called "Play it, Kid!" and it is downloadable from my soundclick account

Thanks for your time!

-Digital Alchemy

I'm gonna rip my comments on this from my WIP:OC post on this. Still have yet to hear the source material. Guess he never checked what I wrote though:

The vox is cheese-ing this up, but I wouldn't necessarily get rid of it. If you can change the voice used, it might better accentuate the track. The transition from orchestral to techno at :30 didn't work well the first time (just a subjective opinion; it could grow on me), but it worked more when you transitioned back from techno to orchestral and then merged them together briefy. Orchestral samples don't sound realistically sequenced though. They actually sound like they skip during the intro, which isn't what's literally happening, but that might as well be.

Lots of flimsy-sounding electronic synths that could use some effects (even support stuff like the claps). The synth that came in at :44/2:15 sounds fairly lifeless. Good groove from 1:12-1:40 though, and I liked the lead sound there along with the glassy-sounding reverb. Again, the strings here are really poor sounding the way they're used. I'm meh on the sounds, but I'd guess that the arrangement here is alright (though of course I need to hear the source material).

Not bad with the structure, though the samples are pretty dry. Not even a borderline NO for me due to the delivery here, BUT that doesn't mean that there isn't a lot of potential here that could be explored since you plan to work on this further. Anything you can do to beef up the sounds so that they don't sound flimsy without drastically changing the presentation of the mix would be good. Does need a little variation returning to the techno at 2:06 as you pretty much repeat everything you had before. Try and make some types of changes (addition, subtraction, or arrangement-wise) to not let things become repetitive in a mere 2 minutes. Beef up and/or articulate some of your sounds, and throw some additional ideas in.

NO (resubmit)

vox is fine. Bass is soooooooo quiet.

You got the majority of the song playing the crystal piano synth while its rather hard to hear any accompany or bass. Later on that gets better with the string. Nevertheless, thats the biggest problem. Makes the whole song sound mono. I would certainly fix that.

Transition at 2:16 is rather rough edged. Things like this should really be reworked.

Finally, percussion is low fi, simple, and rather tame. I would work on spicing that percussion up a bit.

Better ending would help as well as the song seems to end far too soon.

NO

is this the first-ever submission from a sports game? maybe there's a reason for that.

the remix sounds harsh in lots of places.

the transitions are particularly rough. the softer sections sound pretty good, but that jarring synth is really akward.

i'd focus on making your dynamics more subtle.

NO

Not a very smooth transition point from orchestral to electronica. I did like the parts where the synth bells carried the mix. It's hard to tell from the stream, but I'm hearing a lot of audio crackling problems. Why did you make this only available by stream? Needs more compositional and polishing work. Close to a yes, but borderline NO.