OCRA-0018 - Final Fantasy V: The Fabled Warriors ~I. WIND~

DarkeSword

The Fabled Warriors is a series of five albums that celebrates Nobuo Uematsu’s classic score for Square Enix’s Final Fantasy V. Each album is comprised of themes for important characters in the series as well as the myriad of job classes that made the game famous.

I have always felt that Final Fantasy V’s soundtrack has a bit of lightness to it that other Final Fantasy soundtracks eschew in favor of darker, moodier themes. This game always struck me as more of an adventure than any of the others in the series, and Uematsu’s score grabs that and runs with it. This is nowhere more evident than in “Ahead on Our Way,” Final Fantasy V’s main theme, and in my opinion, the best main theme for any Final Fantasy game.

The Fabled Warriors will be released in five parts over the course of the next 2-3 years. The first four albums will follow the four crystals in the game, with themes arranged for all of the corresponding jobs, and the last album will cover new jobs introduced in the Game Boy Advance release, as well as serve as an endcap to the project.

I hope everyone enjoys this tribute to Nobuo Uematsu’s wonderful score. We hope to make each album better than the last.

-- Shariq “DarkeSword” Ansari

21038-1283965696.png'

Wow that's a surprise for me, I didn't knew that a FFV album was in the work...

Interesting idea to make 5 volumes, maybe I'll wait until they are all out before listening it...dunno, I haven't played the game yet.

Waiting for all of them to come out before listening defeats the entire purpose of releasing them as separate volumes. Please listen to it right away.

http://www.projectcoe.com/blog/2010/09/10/want-final-fantasy-v-remixed-ocr-has-us-covered-ffv-thoughtsrant/

Well...I did my job in shamelessly plugging myself and spreading the news of this albums' release. Beware of long post filled with analysis, rants, and preliminary impressions of Sixto's track! :P

Good job, everyone. Keep 'em coming.

Final Fantasy V is my personal favorite of all the FFs, in terms of gameplay, characters, villains, and sidequests, it is the absolute most enjoyable to me.

The SNES FFs are my favorite by far (along with FF1 and FF3), but V is the one that to me most personifies the series and what it should be: a grand adventure. The characters are cheesy but well-loved, the premise is absurd (a tree in a suit of armor?), and it's full of humor with just the right touch of drama to keep it from being some pretend sob-fest. I could go on all day about how much this game rocks (specifically the GBA translation of the game; which in my opinion is THE version of FFV to play, bar none).

I'm glad (and surprised) to see this game getting the loving touch its amazing score deserves. Downloaded, and I eagerly await the next releases!

Final Fantasy V is my personal favorite of all the FFs, in terms of gameplay, characters, villains, and sidequests, it is the absolute most enjoyable to me.

The SNES FFs are my favorite by far (along with FF1 and FF3), but V is the one that to me most personifies the series and what it should be: a grand adventure. The characters are cheesy but well-loved, the premise is absurd (a tree in a suit of armor?), and it's full of humor with just the right touch of drama to keep it from being some pretend sob-fest. I could go on all day about how much this game rocks (specifically the GBA translation of the game; which in my opinion is THE version of FFV to play, bar none).

This is the first time I've ever heard a fan love V more than any other game in the series. Wow. How ironic that I just (sort of) berated the game because it's not as popular as the other installments. Wonder if there are more people like you in the world? You don't happen to be from Japan, eh? 'cause if you are, I can understand your love for V since you've most definitely played the original version.

I haven't played V, but my discussions with other people in the internet lessen my interest of actually trying it out someday.

Dude, FFV is just FUN. The countless ways you can just set your party up for maximum (or minimum) ass kickery trumps previous entries, and the job system is a lot more fun to use than the Esper system in VI (which was fine, but when that happened I basically just made my party into Ultima-spamming bastards).

I LIKED FFV before I played the retranslation on the GBA. However, when I did, I full out loved it, and finally came to appreciate it for what it was. The translation is really just perfect, better than the spotty PS1 job and the other fan-translations out there.

I know the folks that like FFV the most is a rarity; most prefer the classic appeal of IV, or the greatness that is VI (which i might argue is the BEST game in the series, but not the most fun), but this game is just being a kid and playing make-believe adventure with your friends. Even in the 'dark' moments it has this atmosphere that I really prefer to the more brooding and melancholy stuff of later FFs. It reminds me of the fun armosphere of Chrono Trigger and Skies of Arcadia (don't get me wrong though; CT is WAY better than FFV, but that goes without saying since CT is one of those 'just about perfect' games).

Well, this was a short album and imo, probably one of its most accessible factors. You can listen to it in one sitting :D

So... track by track review:

The Path to Glory - Theme of Bartz

Well things start with a bang. Imo Sixto Sounds is the undisputed king of rock on OC Remix, and this shows why. Playing and production is top notch, and its very enjoyable. To put it simply, this is classic Sixto Sounds. One of my favorite tracks on the album.

Edge of Valor - Theme of Knight

From rock to orchestral. Very solid stuff from Nutritious, great arrangement, very dynamic and epic. Classical Music isn't something I listen to by choice but this will get a few repeated listens for sure :D

Gentle Fist ~Theme of Monk~

This is a great chillout track, but it does command attention when its playing, so chances are you'll end up listening to it when its on in the background and you are working on something. My only complaint here is that its too long, but thats a small complaint. A great outro.

A Healer's Touch ~Theme of White Mage~

Level 99 and Avaris are a fantastic combination for a collab, and this shows with this remix. Level 99 doing acoustic by himself is formidable, but Avaris really brings something a little extra to the fold with his background instrumentation which serves to enhance the soundscape. Another favorite!

In the Shadows ~Theme of Thief~

ANOTHER SOUNDSCAPE!!! Pizzicato Strings open this one and are joined by some heavily delayed synth leads. Then the drums come in with AnSo's trademark Bells taking the main melody. Its a pretty engaging listen for sure and the track is kept interesting throughout. I've always found AnSo's sound choices interesting, he has a very unique sound, and this track continues that trend. I'm not sure how much I like this one atm, but each listen I like it more, which gives me the impression its a grower :)

An impressive track, but hey its AnSo, thats to be expected :P

Little Black Book ~Theme of Black Mage~

DarkeSwords second track on the album. This one starts off well with a bass riff played over a pad. Reminds me of Illusion of Gaia music.

The soundscape in this one is pretty haunting and dark. Seems to have a playful nature however, its sort of halfway between chillout and hyperactive, thanks to the rapid fire hi-hats.

Good stuff from DarkeSword

Lore of the Ancients ~Theme of Blue Mage~

GREAT leads in this one. I approve strongly. Very solid stuff from AeroZ, with alot of creative use of the sounds, with some pretty cool syncopated drum sequencing.

Arguably my favorite track on the album but time will tell.

Vessel of the Void ~Theme of Exdeath~

Well guys what can I say about this one. Its ZIRCON. DnB Drums with heavy metal guitars, orcestral elements, and some crazy leads and a cool solo at the end. Things climax pretty quick which is a trait of zircons - it seems like he enjoys hitting you full force from the start.

A powerhouse of a remix.

See You Next Time ~WIND~

This is pretty much the perfect outtro for the album. The flute (I'm actually pretty sure its not a flute but I can't remember for the life of me what it is) causes the hairs on the back of my head to straighten, but damn its not long enough. Darkesword, you sir, are a tease and I bet you are laughing at all the people who are left crying for more :P

Conclusion: A great album, some great tracks and some AWESOME ones.

Like I said, leaves you wanting more. Congrats on the release and I look forward to the next installment darkesword.

Edited by WillRock

I haven't played FF5 through recently (although I've played through the first continent recently) and so far, the sound track hasn't really grabbed me. The first two songs felt very, VERY bland. Tracks 3, 4, and 5 however were quite good. I'm writting this as I listen to keep this fresh in my mind btw. Track 6, also qualifies as good. Track 7 looks like its gonna win my favorite track of this set. I didn't like track 8 much, it felt like it was trying to do too much and felt too distorted. Track 9 made a great contrast to track 8 btw. I stand corrected, as Track 9 is my favorite of this set.

If I were to compare this to the Donkey Kong Country 2 remix, I would have to say clearly Donkey Kong Country 2 wins. The songs in that just grabbed me more. The FF5 ones for the most part were good, and I am looking forward to the next crystal, Water, but I don't think I'll be going out of my way to listen to the Wind tracks.

Hopefully this is the sort of feedback you guys wanted on this.

All I can say is this.

ABOUT FREAKIN' TIME!!!

Absolutely sublime, guys. I'll post more detailed in the individual remixes, as I hope and expect they all get posted. I mean, c'mon. For a square game FF5 is horribly underrepresented on OCR.

This album is an absolute touch of brilliance though. Having the styles directed by jobs and the flavour of the art is fantastic, and really opens up to a wide variety of mixes. I personally can't wait for Samurai and Dancer. Is beastmaster going to be a total rofl mix? I might be able to handle that..

Also, very nice, releasing the project in chunks. Analogous to Half Life 2 episodes 1 and 2 - released small and quick. Hopefully you guys don't follow valve's footsteps and make us wait forever for episode 3.