OCRA-0018 - Final Fantasy V: The Fabled Warriors ~I. WIND~

DarkeSword

Short and sweet, OC ReMix veteran and judge DarkeSword put together an excellent new album with seven other ReMixers honoring the music of Final Fantasy V. Better yet, it's only the first album of FIVE FF5 albums he's planned for the next 2-3 years!

Dear OC ReMix veteran and judge, you may be sweet but are you actually short? :D

Okay so maybe I should write something more substantial about the album? Maybe later.

Loving the album from the first track, to the last.

Glad to see another FF collab. But a massive 2-3 yearly collection!? Sweet

V is definitely a treasure that many may play only once.

*but music is something that goes on through time. And I think that is what "Wind" defines.

I've listened to the album a few times now and enjoyed it very much. I like the smaller album format and hope more (but not all) future OCR albums do something similar. It's hard to pick out any specific favorites as all the tracks ranged from good to great. As someone who gets excited whenever an FFV arrangement gets posted on the main page, having five FFV albums lined up for the next couple years is too good for words. I'm looking forward to the next album.

It makes me really happy that such an underrated game and soundtrack from the SNES era is getting the attention and accolade it deserves. I never thought I'd ever see FF5 get this treatment, but sure enough...

I really enjoyed this album. I listened to it, then promptly had to play FF5. All the different styles the artists bring help make the album stand out.

I love the rawk Sixto brought to the main theme. The high energy really fits.

The Fire Ship theme. I have to admit I don't like it. But then I heard what Nutritious did with it, and... yeah. Wow. I love it. I'm even going to be bad and say that Edge of Valor ended up being my favorite on this album. I'm always really impressed when people can take something I don't like and turn it into pure awesome.

And.. I'm bad with words. I hate to 'leave people out' but I really think everyone did a great job, even if I don't go into specifics. <3

Although I do have to say In the Shadows? Fit Thief like a glove.

And Jose did a great job with the trailer, as always. I find that when a project comes out I really look forward to seeing what he puts together for the trailer.

I'm sad to have to wait so long for further releases, but really looking forward to what you guys are going to do with other themes I adore from FF5.

Quick reviews, gonna try to not look at who made them or anything and just write my first honest thoughts while listening:

The Path to Glory ~Theme of Bartz~

This is fun! Sounds like a terrific Dwelling of Duels entry. Excellent guitars and synths, impressive solos. High quality stuff, I dig it!

Edge of Valor ~Theme of Knight~

Slow start; samples aren't bad. I hope this picks up. It's pretty quiet. Very abrupt transition. Ending is pretty cool but otherwise a bit dull for me personally.

Gentle Fist ~Theme of Monk~

Really uninteresting, sorry. Very repetitive, poor quality samples, drowned in reverb, percussion is dull and arrangement is uninspired.

A Healer's Touch ~Theme of White Mage~

Nice guitars. Love the FF piano theme in the background. Lost my interest about halfway through, though it's probably pretty cool if you dig folky/minimalist songs.

In the Shadows ~Theme of Thief~

Cool synths. Ooh, when the percussion and bass come in this makes some pretty interesting sounds. Could have done more with the percussion. Overall some very interesting sounds here, pretty cool.

Little Black Book ~Theme of Black Mage~

One minute in and it hasn't done anything yet. Ton of reverb in this too. That choir sample is persistent and isn't great. Piano arrangement is fun. Mix is very quiet and doesn't go anywhere.

Lore of the Ancients ~Theme of Blue Mage~

Opening synth has some poppy noise going on, sounds unintentional. Reminds me of one of the FF4 remixes I liked a lot (same lead synth I think). But this is less playful. Some really cool sounds in here though, not bad!

Vessel of the Void ~Theme of Exdeath~

Interesting opening. Loving the retro sounds. Whoa, this really picks up! Guitars don't quite have the impact they should is my only complaint. Overall very solid, probably my favorite track on the project.

See You Next Time ~WIND~

That pan flute or whatever sounds very nice. Way too much reverb, had to turn down the volume. Main theme in the background is cool. Choir sample sounds familiar ... wow that was short.

Anyway, there you are, quick 'n dirty. Thanks for putting the project together!

This is no knock against the remixers involved in the project, but FF V has always been my least-favorite of Uematsu's post-NES FF soundtracks by a pretty big margin. So these remixes had a steep hill to climb to get me to like them. And... they're partially successful. While I don't like these tracks as much as VotL, I would say they're at least on par with the FF IV project.

Sixto's opener has great energy and arrangement, but there's something about the production that makes my ears feel like they're ringing... I suspect this has to do with either compression or possibly a low-pass filter? FWIW I'm listening to this on Sennheiser HD280 Pro's.

Gentle Fist and Healer's Touch are my other favorites from this release.