Extremely slow boot time

kitty

My laptop running Windows 7 Pro x64 has extremely long boot time. It takes at least 10 minutes for it to boot into Windows. I have an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz and 4gb of ram. I used to run Windows 7 Ultimate Beta and RC1 x86 just fine with fast boot times.

If I recall correctly, my laptop booted slow ever since I reformatted and installed the x64 version. Though this may have been after I installed the graphics driver. I did uninstall that driver and reinstalled it and installed other graphics drivers several times but there has been no effect. I've tried messing around with BIOS settings and making sure I had the correct chipset drivers installed but still no effect. Any ideas?

I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but have a look at the event viewer for any errors or warning during startup. Just start typing 'Component Services' into the search bar to get access to the event viewer then check under 'Windows Logs >> System' for anything that stands out.

The kernel starts to save information to the logs early on in the process, how early I don't know. I do believe that it is early enough to record problems with drivers loading or services having issues. Another option is to boot into safemode, which in past versions of windows showed everything being loaded.

i'm betting that something's causing a conflict - probably one of those poorly coded proprietary laptop drivers - and that's what's causing the long time. where does it hang in the process? on the windows symbol? or the fancy blue screen that's right before it pops up with the desktop?

i usually suggest a reinstall in this type of situation - clean, on a fully formatted drive (none of that fast format crap).

no, but your laptop might have either a really poor set of drivers to begin with, or they might not be optimized to run with x64.

this might be a dumb question, but with only four gigs of ram, why are you using x64 anyways? i doubt your laptop can go any higher on the ram it's got installed, and it's not like you're gaining much unless you've got a monster discrete video card with tons of VRAM in your laptop (which i doubt with that processor). i'd just stick with x86 regardless in that situation - fewer issues with compatibility.

I'd like to get use out of the 4gb I have instead of just the 3gb that x86 would get me. I was going to see what I could do to overclock the processor once I get a new BIOS on here. My graphics card is a 9600m GT 512mb so it's not that meaty at all. But it does squirt out enough FPS to run L4D2. The processor is the only thing bottlenecking this rig anyway.

Is there some way where I can see if Windows is hanging on a certain driver or not while its booting?

you'd get about 3.3 or so with x86. if you can actually use all 4 gigs, more power to you - but my desktop has 4 gigs with 3 useable, and i've ran out of ram playing games twice.

booting into safe mode should give you a list of drivers that it's loading. does it take just as long booting into safe mode? if not, then it's because of one of the 'extra' things that's not MS-certified. go into msconfig, turn off everything on the startup tab (for now), and see if it's still laggy. if it is, start turning off services until you isolate the one that's causing it. then do a google search on what it is, and whether or not you can get rid of it.

Don't bother unchecking everything, just go to the General tab and select Diagnostic startup. This will narrow it down to services and basic device drivers that you need versus ones you don't and if it still takes forever to load...back you stuff up and reinstall Windows from scratch.

Welp since my laptop has nothing important on it I just decided to reformat and reinstall to see if that helps. I'll keep you updated.

EDIT: Reformatted and installed Firefox and the graphics driver from nvidia. Everything seems to be running smoothly and I booted into Windows in less than 10 seconds.