Automated panning?

I'm trying to find a VST plugin that will pan a channel between the right and left automatically and sync to the tempo of the song--right now I'm using mda RoundPan but it doesn't sync to the tempo, I have to do it manually.

You can hear the effect I want in the hi-hats in the beginning of Devin Townsend's Things Beyond Things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j--lwDc0DY&fmt=18

I wanna be able to do that but synched to the tempo. Kind of like how Fruity Delay works, I dig that plugin.

What DAW are you using?

...really?

I was gonna suggest mda Roundpan for the lazy way to go about it. More technical approach would be to right click the pan knob for the VST (or mixer channel if you have it routed to one), hit edit event, when the new window pops up go to the top left of it (the arrow button), scroll to tools, and click LFO. You can then go as crazy or as basic as you want and set it to go in sync with your tempo.

I'm trying to find a VST plugin that will pan a channel between the right and left automatically and sync to the tempo of the song--right now I'm using mda RoundPan but it doesn't sync to the tempo, I have to do it manually.

You can hear the effect I want in the hi-hats in the beginning of Devin Townsend's Things Beyond Things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j--lwDc0DY&fmt=18

I wanna be able to do that but synched to the tempo. Kind of like how Fruity Delay works, I dig that plugin.

if your on ableton, then use the Auto pan in audio effects library, if in fl studio 9, use fruity panomatic plugin.

...really?

Yeah, I'm with you. :P

Fruity Panomatic has a built in LFO setting, works great and it's included with FL.
if your on ableton, then use the Auto pan in audio effects library, if in fl studio 9, use fruity panomatic plugin.

Thanks a bunch, I'll give that a try at home over the weekend. There's so many of those included plugins, half the time I forget they're even there...

There's no tremolo plugin like this in FL? In this, you could just set the phase to 180° and you'd have an autopan sync'd to beat with a custom shape to the pan envelope. The image is of Logic's built-in tremolo, see if there aren't any appropriate VSTs you could use.

Or if you can sync a tremolo to beat and change its phase (either 180° or by inverting it), you could just route the audio to two buses, apply tremolo, change the phase of one of the tremolos, and pan the buses opposite one another.

...really?

/facepalm

Sorry, I forgot which forum I was in. :P

More technical approach would be to right click the pan knob for the VST (or mixer channel if you have it routed to one), hit edit event, when the new window pops up go to the top left of it (the arrow button), scroll to tools, and click LFO.

In all seriousness, I'd suggest this solution. The problem of getting it re-centered could be solved by editing events for each pattern that uses that instrument and just resetting it to 50% by drawing it in. It's a bit of a hassle, but it's really simple.

EDIT: Actually, depending on the plugin/sample, you should just be able to go into the INS tab of the channel window and set a panning LFO there. Then, automate the AMT knob and drop it back to 50% when you need to turn off the panning.