Kingdom Hearts' "Simple and Clean/Hikari" Electronic Remix

Damashii!!

NOTICE: due to my doctor putting me on a 2-week parole for tendinitis observations I will probably not get to complete this remix for a long while...:( but all advice and critiques are welcomed since I'll have plenty of time to take note of them while my hand is healing.

Anyways, even if you're not a KH fan/slave I think "Simple and Clean/Hikari" is a very beautiful song. Here it is (for reference to see if I strayed too far or stayed too close)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyEZHfCDzqM&feature=related

and then here's my WIP so far.

Click here to listen to Simple and Clean prototype.mp3

basically, if you've ever heard of the duo "Ratatat" then you should be able to tell what I'm trying to emulate... but it's pretty early in the morning so I couldn't record the whaling alien guitar parts and wake up my neighbors:sleepdepriv:. next time.

peace

*Wailing. Not whaling. :P Whaling alien guitars would be pretty awesome tho. :D

Frequency balance needs work, the whole track is way too quiet, and I'm not sure the sound design is kosher on ocr (tho I guess if chippy stuff is fine, this should be too). At least some of the leads are too simple, I think. I heard sprinkles of source from time to time, but am lazy and am not gonna check if it's substantial and interpreted enough, someone that knows the source better can do that. It's definitely an interesting style and would make a nice addition to ocr's increasingly varied style gallery. :D Cool start.

It's really more glitch/experimental electronica than acid house. Not a bad start. The idea is definitely good, but this mix needs quite a bit of work. I am going to echo Rozovian's comments and say that synth design is very simple and lo-fi. Drum/percs sequencing seems cool, but these are also way too much on the lo-fi side. I don't think you can get away with that, since your remix is not really a densely arranged nostalgia-invoking chiptune.

You definitely need to beef up your arrangement as well, it is pretty sparse as it stands. Even if you improve your synths and overall sound quality, there is not much going on in the mix for a while to make it interesting. But the glitching here and there, the darkish tone, and the vocal sample make this WIP stand out as having potential. Keep at it!

*Wailing. Not whaling. :P Whaling alien guitars would be pretty awesome tho. :D

oh yeah, I forgot. it's kind of an inside joke between an old guitarist friend and I to reference guitar moans as "whale calls" and I guess I've gotten way too used to it.;-)

Well, so far, everybody is saying I need to add much more to it but I purposefully made some of the synth parts simple because I thought it sounded like too much... but I guess I'll do some more work on it and eventually insert some of those wailing guitar whale calls I mentioned. thanks for the comments.