*NO* Guardian Legend 'Liquid Corridor (ReBirth)'

Liontamer

J-link

Ryu7x

Michael Drosos

ID# 286

The Guardian Legend (Goardic Gaiden)

I made this in 2005 and never got around to submitting it.

It was my final remix.

It was my final attempt at remixing the same tune as my first submission with the added experience from the years:

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00576/

After looking at the comments, people say "Liquid Corridor Clean Mix" did not bear well over time...and I agree.

I dug this out, dusted it off, gave it a listen....much better than the "Clean Mix"

I thought to my self...why didn't I submit this to OC ReMix?

Regardless of the outcome, this is my final submission and I want to thank the staff for everything.

(Which has probably changed since I have been around.)

djpretzel, thank you for giving everyone else and myself the opportunity to shine on your amazing creation.

Michael "Ryu7x" Drosos

-------------------------------------------------------------

http://ocremix.org/chip/1686 - Track 3

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00576/ - "Guardian Legend Liquid Corridor (Clean Mix) OC ReMix"

Since this is an upgraded version of OCR00576, it also has to be evaluated as whether it's different enough than the first version. Obviously this quite the sonic upgrade.

The synths at :12 sounded pretty generic, same at :27 when things picked up, though the overall texture was much stronger at :27.

This definitely was a huge improvement over the original ReMix, and put a lot more meat on the bones of the source tune. The supporting synths actually seemed too loud compared to the melodic and the whole soundscape was on the cramped side. The new countermelodic writing at 1:50, 2:02 & 2:15 were welcome additions.

For people that hate these kind of synths, I could see why they'd dislike it. The whole thing sounded a bit bread-and-butter and somewhat dated, but listening to sections like :38's, the energy was strong and the textures were capably put together after what was a weak start, IMO. I'm willing to give it a very borderline YES, for the whole ultimately being better than the sum of the parts, but I could be swayed against it. Best of luck on the rest of the vote.

Not too much to add to what Larry said here. There is a definite upgrade to sounds, although it still is a bit dated sounding. Once things really kick in it's a fun listen with a nicely filled out soundscape, though, so I can't fault that. I personally don't have a problem with the sounds, although they are a bit generic.

There are times when it feels like the background stuff is a bit overpowering to the lead synths. It's nothing too major, but it is noticeable.

Overall I feel like this has enough qualities to make it onto the site. As Larry said, it's the sum of the whole that works out, although it has it's small flaws. YES (borderline)

There's a slightly mechanical hi hat, and the samples are simple, but effective. This is really driving though, with a lot of really good energy. The additional writing is awesome, and the whole thing is really catchy. The ending still isn't awesome, but it's feeling better than before. Transitions are strong, and I love the bass part. Very strong arrangement. :-)

Maybe grandpa Vig will have an issue with this, but I sure as hell don't.

Yes

Not really cutting it IMO. It's got a really dry, generic sound to it, and the synths are static and uninteresting. Very mechanical, very busy, and the buzziness of the saws and bass give the whole thing a kind of drone.

Arrangement isn't bad, but this really feels like it's going through the motions. Needs more dynamics.

NO

Grandpa Vig? Haha.

Okay, I'm puzzled as to why you would start with the chiptune in one key for the intro and then suddenly change to a different key when when the new instruments come in. ...Buh? The pitches sound sour at 0:24, and there are definitely some clashing notes from 0:30 to 0:40. The sounds, although better than before, are still pretty dated and generic - and it seems like they're used in a predictable way as well.

This is definitely an upgrade from the first mix, but I still don't feel it's quite up to today's site standards. (Had you submitted it back in 2005 when you first reworked it, that would be a different story!) I'm really sorry to hear that this will be your last submission. I hope you'll reconsider and continue to working on this one, or start something fresh! :>

NO

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty surprised there are so many YESes on this. Generic and cheap sounds, blocky sequencing, a lot of cut-and-paste of drums and pads, and overall, background-sounding. The new writing is a highlight, but I still don't see how this is a great arrangement, considering the level of cut-and-paste and blockiness. On top of that, the intro is quite weak. No offense to Mike, because standards have been raised a fair bit since '05 (my '04 Lifeforce mix sounds about this level of quality), but I think this would be a mistake to pass. Just call me Grandpa Vinnie.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

Err..yeah. So what I meant was, this is really loud. Nice work. The mixing is pretty solid. The reason this isn't flying is that the sounds and writing are rather generic. It sounds like a very typical dance adaptation. There's really nothing here that hasn't been done before far to many times. Not trying to be too discouraging; this is pretty tight all around, but it doesn't sound very inspired.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember liking the original Liquid Corridor Clean Mix back in the day, although I'm sure that's more because The Guardian Legend rules than anything else. This is definitely a big step up from that mix, but it doesn't quite meet the current standards. It's a fine dance track, but not really anything beyond that. Plain sounds, some balance issues here and there (the worst is 1:32-1:50), and a not too inspiring arrangement (although the original stuff from 1:32 on is very welcome). Sorry. :-(

NO