OCR01250 - Secret of Mana "Tidal Sequence"

djpretzel

Omg I didnt expect a track to top my favourite remix "Pachelbels Ganon" anytime soon but it happened.

Maybe because I love Secret of Mana, maybe bcause SoM has the best title theme ever or maybe its just because the remix is done by my favourite remixer. :)

The shift at 3:33 and the last part are so wonderful, would have been sad if djpretzel hadnt included it!

of course not having ready the reviews,

im posting... so a lot of what Im about to say probably has been said already...

absolutely captivating Is this peice.

The song flows very nicely from one segment to the next with intamate detail towards all the individual instruments.

Especially around 3:12 does this peice express itself in a very sexy fashion.

I never got into the secret of mana... maybe i should holy crap I like this mix.

• 2 weeks later...

Hm, the tidal elements to this song does much to alleviate this weary heart...I hate having to face past fears/wrongs and attempt to recify them.

Anyway, this song is very good at carrying the melody through various interpretations, while maintaining a steady rhythm and beat, giving a feel of meshing through various phases of life. The first section set the pacing of the song, the trippy element to it. It started simple, and gradually got bolder. At 2:08, it started to show its celtic influences at an attempt to lighten the mood, helping to maintain that trippy feel to the song. Towards the end, it starts to crescendo with orchestration with a sense of something greater out in the horizon.

I must say that I'm new to the OC Remix, but I'm impressed by what I've heard so far. All mixers keep up the good work.

As for this mix, I fell in love with this song as soon as I heard it. It now has a permanent home in my playlist.

I was especially impressed at about 0:23 into the song. I played this song for a close friend of mine and she loved the song too. I hope to hear more like this from you djpretzel.

No less than a 9/10 in my book.

• 5 weeks later...

Ah ha! I knew this was djpretzel's work around the 1:27 mark... reminds me of the gloomy Lunar piece he did. I really enjoy listening to this one; it's a unique hybrid of styles and I adore the string/ocean wave solo around 2:09. I heard this song by chance on ormgas moments after some very disappointing news was made clear to me and this song reflected exactly how I felt.

So crisp and bittersweet, tumultuous at times. I find this to be a very inspiring and well-layered remix. On the top of my playlist, for sure.

-Steph (aka Cre8vSteph)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is outstanding, djp. I always appreciate "Orchestronic/Electrestral" music... whichever you prefer to call it.

This has that power to it that seemed to be conveyed in the original, only with a little bit more... force?

Oh. My. God. [2:09]... that is a beautiful violin, sir. Clear, emotional, powerful, independent, yet supportive. I love violins, and you have placed one perfectly. Awesome.

This is, once again, excellent, sir. Awesome job.

I've been becoming slowly suspicious lately that the stuff I hear at OCRemix is actually significantly better quality than anything else you can hear in the charts, or in fact just about anywhere these days. This track confirms my suspicion. All I can say is we have a very odd distribution of talent and success in today's world, musically speaking.

• 3 months later...

I most definately started listening to this with high expectations. I mean, it is DJP. And you know what? They were more than exceeded. I loved the general blend of instruments (though I play guitar, I think that if you use them right, string sections are absolutely amazing) and the ambience of the song was amazing.

If I could do one thing to this, I would add maybe the sound of ocean waves to the background in the beginning, and occasionally brought it back out within the mix. Then again, I also want to do a track over highway noise.

• 8 months later...
Must download this!

Already done. :wink:

I concur with everyone, this is symphonical master-piece. The way it begins you think that a funky techno beat will follow this track to the end, but I don't think that it cannot be more wrong than that. The piano and strings enters almost at the same time, and essences like guitar and violin caught me off-guard.

To see how this arrangement changes from the beginning seconds to the middle and the end, while always having a beautiful tone to it, it fills me with ave. This deserves some more listens later today. Those who haven't listened to this really should, it's one of the many proofs why Djpretzel is the one running this site.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Overly familiar source melodies are in no better hands than The Pretzel's Hands.

There is a very satisfying combination here of elements that shouldn't gel but do, like the blending of contemplative moments with full-sounding orchestral support, as well as the more obvious clashing dynamics of the electronic and orchestral genres.

Classic rise and fall delivery, excellent arrangement; it's all pretty standard pretzel praise, I'm afraid. As I've come to expect, production is top-notch. The piano and the violin especially are put to stunning use, serving as standout points in an already rewarding, expertly crafted piece.

• 8 months later...

You know, I don't think I've heard a djpretzel mix yet that I haven't liked. Even though the source has been done to death and I thought I never wanted to hear it again, he managed to put a fresh spin on it and make it enjoyable to listen to. It's like every track he touches turns to gold.

Okay, I think I've fulfilled my lavish praise quota for today.

Wow, I can't believe I haven't heard this one yet. I'm pretty familiar with the source and this is a pretty cool take on it. What I really like about this is how it doesn't stay in one place; the intro has vaguely Asiatic groove/feel to it before alternating to a more piano centric section. There's also a comfortably weighty atmosphere throughout this mix. Truly awesome and a must download.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I really like the pacing and soundscape here; it feels like the aural equivalent of someone taking a lot of time to really sculpt waves out of marble. It's that well defined to me. It also has some really cool eastern ethnic overtones that just seem to glue everything in this mix together. This is one of my favorite mixes on the site and is on my playlist that I listen to as I go to sleep.

• 3 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01250 - Secret of Mana "Tidal Sequence"