*NO* Legend of Zelda 3 'Agahnim's Curse' *FT*

Liontamer

LT: A week shy of 3 months, I figure that's close enough.

I submitted this on July 14, 2004. It has not reached the judges panel, and I have been told that this a definite fall-through.

Contact Info

ReMixer name: chthonic

Email address: chthonic4@hotmail.com

Userid on the Forums: 5670

ReMix Info

ReMix Title: Agahnim's Curse

Name of game ReMixed: Zelda 3

Name of individual song ReMixed: Hyrule Castle Theme

Thanks for listening.

-chth

Wow, this is a MUST HAVE in vgmix. I cant imagine how it wont get a NO with that kinda status.

hmm...

NO

Short, simple, lots of sfx. The big problem is during the main chorus. Not nearly enough of a 'full' sound. Lack of bass and accompany. Following that, a pretty straight forward 'techno' transcript from the original.

Towards the end, it finally starts changing up, then suddenly ends.

Please make this 1.5-2 minutes longer with some real rearrangement, otherwise its just a simple techno transcript.

The electrosynth lead at :27 is just too generic, while the beats are alright. The stayle change at 1:08 was really cool (YAAAAA!), so you should keep that. Very cool sounds. The techno stuff you started with was way too generic, but I loved the return of the bassy electrobeats at 1:28; awesome fusion of your electronic base with some ethnic instruments to really give the source material a different feel.

The lead at 1:51 isn't that good, IMO, and suffers from the same lack of fullness Prot mentioned earlier. 2:09, I'm meh on the accompaniment being obscured again, but hot on the arrangement. That was over all to quickly as you moved into 2:40.

That kind of ending at 2:40 is REALLY anti-climatic and unoriginal, believe me. Scrap it and work on some rearrangement expansion for this, along with some possible different sound choices that move a little bit away from the extremely exposed saw wave or wuteva that is. Just didn't feel that it worked here, which is why Prot's pointed out the distinct lack of bass or accompany for sections such as :33-1:08 (among other places). You obviously have some accompaniment in place, but it's very obscured, so beef things up there and get the sound balance working more in your favor.

Hit the WIP board and some other electronic mixers for advice, Ben. Genuinely looking to a resubmission of this. A little more dedication & development could get this here. Didn't like everything here, but I generally enjoyed so far.

NO (resubmit)

My biggest issue with this mix is the dull synth lead that's constant throughout. No alterations, change-ups, trade-offs, nothing; just the same detuned saw for three minutes (except for the violin at 1:43, which was welcome). Beats are fine, some harmonic accompaniment OK, but the whole arrangement is very 'thin' - no sonic padding, instrumentation bare. Repeating bassline is tiring. Some parts are just awkward, like the beat transition at 2:15.

Very little texture to very dry synthwork, and a bad ending.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is pretty damn good. Lots of buzzy synths, but nothing wrong with that. Not much reverb or delay going on here, but sometimes (like here) that's a good thing; don't have to worry about muddiness or messiness. It's a nice, clean, straight forard sound. Good beats too.

I like the section with the low pizzacato + clarinet; the clockwork beat works really well in tandem, and the progression from string to clarinet to violin is seamless. Low choir at 2:00 is a nice subtle touch. That wonky transition around 2:12 seems off at first, but it's a great change-up; VERY danceable.

Other judges may disagree, but this is way over the bar for me. YES

(if you DO get rejected, RESUBMIT please)

Man. MAN.

I was so ready to put the smack down and YES this remix. I was. But damn. That tempo change right past the 2 minute mark, followed by a very lax ending killed it.

Utilize the other judges' critique, fix that ending, and you're game.

There is a LOT here to like. I really do enjoy this, and the first two minutes are rad. A very good example of how to do a good, enjoyable dance remix.

Gah...... Please do something with the ending and give it back to us.

Maybe even if you just have a big crash at 2:12 and let it fade out before slowly bringing back the mix - that would be fine.

And even if you just add another few iterations of the main melody with some modifications to lengthen it a bit - you're totally game.

I rarely ever say this, but - PLEASE RESUBMIT.

NO(please resubmit i really want this in etc etc etc etc)

-D

P.S. Please resubmit