Final Fantasy V: The Fabled Warriors

DarkeSword

This thread is a general Q&A/detail thread for Final Fantasy V - The Fabled Warriors, OCR’s FF5 album series.

About

There are 5 albums in The Fabled Warriors: WIND, WATER, FIRE, EARTH, and DAWN. Each album is comprised of arrangements written as character themes of important characters in the game and the job classes made available by the respective crystals. The fifth album doesn’t correspond to a crystal, as there is no “Dawn” crystal in the game; instead it covers the additional job classes available in the Gameboy Advance re-release.

Schedule

• WIND was released in September 2010.
  • WATER was released in May 2016.
  • FIRE is targeted for 2018. This is not a release date or a promise, just a goal.
  • EARTH, and DAWN have no target dates.

Tracklist

Character Description Source Style Artist(s)
Faris The reckless and courageous pirate captain. Pirates Ahoy!   open
Gilgamesh The eight-armed sword hunter. Battle on the Big Bridge An eight-member rock super-group called “The Eight Arms of Gilgamesh” collaborating to create a denser, more varied take on the source. Sixto Sounds, hakstok, OA
Beastmaster “Trainers whose open hearts and strong wills allow them to capture and control enemy monsters.”   aggressive Sir_NutS
Geomancer “Harnessing the power of their surroundings, they easily avoid pits and floors with damaging effects.” Cursed Earth heavy and rhythmic anosou
Ninja “Stealthy fighters who excel at surprising enemies and can wield two weapons at once.” Intention of the Earth fast and mysterious OA
Bard “Musicians whose dulcet tones soothe savage beasts…or kill them.”   melodic and lyrical RiverSound
Ranger “Nature-loving archers who can call on local wildlife for aid.”   adventurous open
The Prelude The classic prelude theme from all Final Fantasy games. The Prelude relaxing DarkeSword

Signups are open. The Fabled Warriors runs on an audition-enrollment system. To sign up for a track, please provide a sample of your work that illustrates you’re able to compose and produce in the style required.

If you have a Final Fantasy V remix you’re already working on and want me to put on the project, chances are I won’t take it. The Fabled Warriors has a very specific concept, and I’m not looking for music that wasn’t written without the concept in mind. That said, I still encourage you to submit your remix to OCR, because there is always room for more FF5 remixes, whether they are on the project or not.

Feel free to ask any questions you have about the project.

Well, I guess I'll ask a couple of questions.

First, if I can't ask when this project will end, then when did this project get off the ground? How long has everyone been working on this?

Second, will the other four albums be roughly the same size as Wind (10ish songs)? Or will Dawn be smaller/larger? Or will they all vary in length given the stand-alone nature of each album?

And since it's not a review of the music, I'll just compliment the great album art and hope that the other four are the same impressive style.

Okay, I'm done. :D

We started early last year, actually. The roster changed a couple of times, but the music had actually been done for quite a while. A lot of time was spent waiting for a good time to release because certain things besides music needed to get done.

The other four albums get progressively smaller. Water is 9, Fire is 8, and Earth and Dawn are 7. I'm considering adding other tracks to the last two but I'm not really going to worry about that right now.

The album art style is going to remain consistent; only the overall color scheme of each album will change.

Are you asking the artists to pursue a different sort of theme for each album? Or are you granting full creative freedom and just asking for the best track they can make? Basically, I'm wondering if you're pursuing different styles for each album where I can listen to Water for example and have that evoke a certain mood, and then listen to Fire and walk away feeling completely differently...

I think you sort of tried to go for that in Wind with the ending flute piece, personally I thought it would have been cool if the entire album was based around wind instruments. I'm wondering how you plan to evoke the elemental themes in the coming albums.

Are you asking the artists to pursue a different sort of theme for each album? Or are you granting full creative freedom and just asking for the best track they can make? Basically, I'm wondering if you're pursuing different styles for each album where I can listen to Water for example and have that evoke a certain mood, and then listen to Fire and walk away feeling completely differently...

That would be kind of hard to have an overarching mood for an entire album and then have each individual track have its own mood at the same time!!! 0_o

That would be kind of hard to have an overarching mood for an entire album and then have each individual track have its own mood at the same time!!! 0_o

No it wouldn't. Majora's Mask is a great example of an overarching melancholic and creepy mood, despite the many non-melancholic and/or non-creepy songs in it. Same could be done with an album, just tell the artists what the mood is and they'll bring their own perception of it (and their own style) into their respective sources (which has a mood to begin with), so you've got three different sources of mood, easily woven into an overarching one.

Dunno the plan for the project, but a mood-based project would be cool. I was actually considering something like that as a solo project. Not sharing what that is tho. :P

Also, DS, count me as interested in one of the later installments. Need to get a few other projects out of the way first.

No it wouldn't. Majora's Mask is a great example of an overarching melancholic and creepy mood, despite the many non-melancholic and/or non-creepy songs in it.

There's no overarching melancholic and creepy mood if the songs in it aren't like that.

Also I'm going to try and do my best to get a shot at being on this project. :D

Edited by Neblix

I think you sort of tried to go for that in Wind with the ending flute piece, personally I thought it would have been cool if the entire album was based around wind instruments. I'm wondering how you plan to evoke the elemental themes in the coming albums.

No, the concept is limited to the character themes.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Just wondering if this project is still happening. Volume 2 was scheduled to come out in Q1 of this year...and we're well in to April with no sign of it. What happened? :(

Either delays with production or the really long ass Album queue here on OCR.

As someone who just got into Final Fantasy V recently, I loved the first volume and really look forward to the 2nd volume. V has a really great soundtrack

• 2 weeks later...

At the time of my posting this, four more FFV mixes have been posted (three are from Wind, and one intended to be), with one more on the way. Looking at the YouTube channel, I find the last one to be a halc mix, but even more important than that, its title: Sinking Deeper.

That sounds water-related, if you ask me. :-D

It's a coincidence. Halc's mix is great, but it's not a remix from Water. Not that that's a bad thing. Having more FFV remixes—album or not—is always a good thing.

Water is coming along. Got some progress on some pieces. I realize everyone's anxious; I'll try to step it up.

Oh, well. Its like my theories on TV shows. Its fun to do, but I'm almost always wrong. XD