Phantasy Star Online 2

Strike911

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/15/phantasy-star-online-2-spotted-on-sega-tgs-video-stream/

Announced at TGS along with a trailer for release in 2011 on PC. I'm desperately searching online for the trailer.

A kick back in the right direction might be a dream come true. Pretty exciting.

*continues scouring the internet for more news*

Other than that, I am super excited if they go back to the good old PSO roots. I miss that game so badly!

EDIT:

I found the trailer. Nothing really in it outside of info on a sequel to PS portable and the PSO2 announcement graphic. That's it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yUJiLyMWjc&feature=player_embedded

No gameplay yet. Still, I'm psyched to know a real sequel to PSO is coming out soon.

Man, that music really brings back good memories. PSO was one of the few games that really had a wonderful online community... up to a point... but still. I remember meeting up with some of you guys YEARS ago and playing it late into the night back in the day.

• 7 months later...

Here's a nice bump from a random person.

I'm required to inform you that... this game is looking pretty good. First screenshots and in-game footage revealed today:

Phantasy Star Online 2 -- First Video Footage

Normally I'd prefer to link PSOW, but they don't have any good coverage yet. I'm most interested to see how well they've pulled off randomly generated areas. I think PSU wasn't as cool in that regard, because the randomness only existed because pre-determined chunks were separated by loading screens.

I'm still horrendously excited about this, but a friend of mine who actually did play PSU saw some similarities and said that turned him off to this. :(

Still, jump and dodge. The game has changed.

Same for me, the PSU games weren't great, this just looks like another console entry of PSU. The PSU games on PSP aren't that bad, but the portability helps. I still am holding out hope that because they are calling this PSO2 means that it will be the next evolution of the classic PSO formula. It makes me happy that they showed a Forest area, at least. Any news on a release date? I haven't heard anything much about the project since TGS, and then today.

• 11 months later...

Necromancy hoooooooy!

Just some fun stuff - Japanese closed beta applications opened today if anyone happens to be interested.

Additionally, it's been announced that the game will be f2p with a cash shop. This includes the client being free to download.

The game is set to be released for the Vita, PC and smartphones (only iOS and Android). The PC and Vita versions will be identical, but while the smartphone versions will share character data, they will be simplified single player games with some social elements.

Not entirely sure how I feel about the f2p thing, while it's good from a "I-don't-have-to-pay-anything" standpoint, it could end up being a barrier stopping the game from coming over to the west if the cash shop doesn't do so well in Japan. I guess we just have to wait and see.

Necromancy hoooooooy!

Bahahahah!!!! If this forum had reputation system, you've be swimming in it right about now.

I have watched a few gameplay vids - it looks fun, but I really don't know much else about it. F2P as in no monthly fee, or quite literally free to download with no initial purchase?

I was hoping this would be everything we loved about PSO and PSU (because there was a ton we hated about PSU)...

I have watched a few gameplay vids - it looks fun, but I really don't know much else about it. F2P as in no monthly fee, or quite literally free to download with no initial purchase?

I was hoping this would be everything we loved about PSO and PSU (because there was a ton we hated about PSU)...

Based on what Japanese news sites are reporting, completely free to play, no monthly fee, no initial purchase. The only monetary transactions will be cosmetic changes from a cash shop.

I'm also hoping it turns out to have all the parts that made the PSO/PSU/PSP games so much fun to play. I guess we'll find out!

• 4 weeks later...

Double post but I wanted to give some impressions from playing the closed beta these past couple of days.

It's awesome. That is all.

To be more specific, combat and movement are extremely fluid (it easily rivals TERA's manouverability), customisation is awesome (as you probably already know if you've played around with the character creator which anyone can download regardless of beta status here. It plays much the same as PSP2, parties are easy to drop into and there's a lot of fun to be had with a balanced team of four.

The cash shop is currently limited to mostly superficial things, I'm not sure how the conversion rate of real money to Arks Cash is going to look, but the closed beta started with everyone at 1,000AC and most things only cost around 10AC (11AC to create a seconds character). Unfortunately, it looks like one of the superficial things you have to purchase with Arks Cash is your personal quarters for which you pay a rental fee (30AC per month). My room is horribly empty right now... the only thing it currently has is a plant pot in the middle of the room...

My only gripe so far is that the Japanese keep treating me as a filthy baka gaijin because I momentarily forgot it was a Japanese beta during character creation and gave myself a name in roman letters. Oh and I refused to comply with their demands to join the unofficial dedicated gaijin segregation server. They don't like that much either.

But screw them! They're not ALL bastards... I've had some decent conversations with a few of them.

Some screenshots (excuse the low graphics settings, I'm playing on a relatively low end, two year old gaming laptop at second lowest settings - it runs smoothly with good framerate even on shoddy hardware! :o)

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this counts as news and I'm not even sure I'll play because I know jack squat about PSO :P But the signups are now in open beta. Though the official server links aren't up yet or something.

Someone on reddit left this album of images to help.

http://imgur.com/a/rg0Xk

Comment thread if you wanted to see that is here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/u0omi/phantasy_star_online_2_open_beta_signup_guide/

My brother had a great time with the CBT. I just registered for the OBT.

While you wait, though, you can discover how bad PSO really was :-P: http://schtserv.com/ I'm not hating on it or anything; it just happens to be very glitchy. :banghead: The admins of the server have disabled some quest rewards, but all quests are playable, and they do have the ability to add new ones. The server is free. I first played PSO this February on this. My main char is GravSuit, lvl 92. If you want someone to play with sometime, talk to me. :)

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention the community of it. It can be hit and miss, but other than that, I found a team that I enjoy being in. :)

Thanks man. Registered for OBT and downloaded the client. Now we just wait for the servers to go back up. I'm excited. I played the crap out of both PSO and PSU.

EDIT: Slight bump to ask: is there any info on when the servers will be started for OBT?

• 4 weeks later...

Well the OBT started. I loaded up the client, downloaded the new patches, and it gave me a DX9 error. Installed that and it opened up just fine. Can't make a character yet. The servers are all too full. I'll have to check it out tomorrow. Anyone else here gonna be playing?

• 3 weeks later...