OCR02098 - Chrono Trigger "Third Eye"

djpretzel

I both like and dislike how this almost purposely avoids the source melody for most of the mix. It was like, "When's it going to drop?" and then finally, bam! The build-up is good, and I like how the track treated the various parts of the source. It's not my favorite Schala mix, but it's a fun listen. Nice work.

I guess there are going to be obvious comparisons to "Through Time and Space" which is one of my favourite mixes on the site, and quite rightly. They both have a similar feel, almost as though they could be part of the same track. In that regard, I liked Through Time and Space a bit more, since it had something of a more magical feel, taking the haunting tones from the Chrono Cross and building around them, whereas this doesn't really anchor itself to the original terribly close. Like DA said, I like and dislike that aspect of the mix.

On a whole, this doesn't really work for me. It honestly feels like it builds up for so long and then I don't really get the payoff that I was hoping for that entire time. But! I will say that it is a pretty good take on the theme, and upon further listens I can appreciate the value of letting the meat of the original melody sit in the background for the most of it.

ANOTHER schala remix...really?!...I just can't stomach anoth.....oh....wait....what's this? ..umm wow.....It's good. It's great. Totally different feel from many other Schala remixes. I'm really glad the remixer was not persuaded to avoid making this due to the high volume of Schala remixes. This really does have it's own personality that stands on its own. Great work!

(Great enough to persuade me to post my first post to OCRemix! :D )

I haven't reviewed a song in over two years, but I had to post this brief blurb. I am really pleased to find an enjoyable Schala remix. Schala's theme is, in my opinion, one of the most difficult songs to remix. It has such a unique sound that to mess with it is usually to take away from it. I have not enjoyed a schala remix ever, I'm sorry to say, with the possible exception of the One Up's lounge-style version (Cd1?)

That said, I love this remix. You've done trance without going over the top with the bass (which is one of those beginner errors that even advanced mixers make) and have kept the main theme subtle, understanding that that is how it should be. Orchestral mixes always get it wrong... they power up the main theme when if you listen to the original, it's actually the percussion that is brought most forward with the bells and wind being a background element.

Schala's theme is a piece that we are meant to strain to hear and the fact that you've accomplished that with trance is impressive and worth my time to comment on.

I actually really enjoyed this as well, continued proof that there is no such thing as an overmixed source as long as the variety is there. The subtlety of the source tune is what makes this so good, that schala vibe is there but it's hiding a little bit, and certainly takes a while to get started, and because of that, this doesn't feel like "oh god another Schala mix," which from the writeup is what I was expecting.

I also really like trance. so that surely helped, but as far as Schala mixes go this is right up there for me!

• 3 weeks later...

I like this a lot, despite it's very techno-y feel. Perhaps it's the title of Third Eye, the breathy feel that DJP describes, or a combination of the two, but it put me in mind of Unipulator's "Kizukaseru" here on OCR, and listening to it I can easily visualize a calm samurai being jumped by a few dozen ninja and using his "third eye" to emerge unscathed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

To be fair, I'm a little tiresome of the Schala coverage, and a trance enterpretation of this didn't seem so much of a good way to go on paper. However, what ABG did was basically kept the mood intact with the choice of sub-genre, while still being able to show as welcoming image to fans of the genre. This and "Through Time and Space" seem to compliment each other a lot, so you may expect some comparisons. But for what it is, I actually quite enjoyed this :)

And yes... I also read through djp's lament as well. As a passionate Crash Bandicoot fan, I still want to see coverage of that up there, and if I don't do the first remix (which achieving that alone is still mega unlikely), I will gladly reward that first person who does, however I can >_>

• 1 year later...

I'm not 100% sure I like the build up to the source, it comes a little close to being repetitive, but not quite. But it still almost half the song before the source shows as far as I can tell.

Over all it's a fun trance mix.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Oh damn, this is slick as hell. I frankly LOVE the build-up to this one. With a source as familiar as this one, it's very easy to mentally fill the source in the spaces that it isn't there. Dave gave us hell all those years back on familiar sources and yadda yadda, but honestly this wouldn't work with a source that people were NOT very familiar with. It's a very clever approach that resolves a few issues all at once: how to make a song fresh, how to make something in more traditional Trance style that remains connected to the source, and how to make a great piece of music (that last one's being solved by all of us in various ways, though, lol).

But yeah, great track by ABG. I really hope he makes a grand re-entrance one day, since his style is really clicking with me.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02098 - Chrono Trigger "Third Eye"