Chrono Trigger: Chrono Symphonic - History

Claado Shou

Haha. Well I just posted those to own Piejacked, but I guess Blue Skies Over Guardia (the very last one, I think) is pretty evocative and self-explainatory. Just think about walking into Leene Square and seeing all of the amazing things that the fair has to offer, on a beautiful, cloudless day.

Holy crap. I think we just found our Millennial Fair piece remake. The only problem would be the piano-type thing in there, which could be replaced by strings quite easily. And you're right, it does explain its visual by itself. Otherwise, one track out of 25 has been already created.

This also means, DarkeSword, that you're accepted. Congratulations.

You really want to replace the piano? There's already strings every where in there. It's really an integral part of the track. I could change it to something else, but it won't have the same effect.

Well, I want to say I think you should leave the modern style drumsets out. Once again, this is sideline talk since I won't be remixing, but I really think it would take a lot away from the John Williams style symphonic soundtrack. I think sephfire is right, good fast paced battle music can be done without drumsets. Just think of all the battles from John Williams scored movies! Star Wars alone would be great reference.

To be honest, I don't think we're going to be able to get John Williams to work on the project. And to be honest again, I don't think we're going to be able to get a real orchestra to record us all kinds of brass articulations to get that punchy sound. Considering that we have to work with free SF2, I think allowing drumsets is a wise decision.

Really, the free SF2 thing has not been a problem for me so far. They are actually better for Orchestral than Sampletank is (in general; SampleTank certainly has its strong samples when it comes to orchestral, but it doesn't have a huge range of useable stuff). But I don't think that using just free SF2's anybody but an expert would be able to make something truly pumping in a battle type sense. This is what I have so far of my audition entry: http://www.tjhsst.edu/~alederer/Music/Rellik_-_CT_Open_v2.mp3. As you can tell, it's not exactly energetic, and this is as energetic as I have been able to make it (without using a drumset or guitars or anything) since I'm not an expert.

Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery nice. I can clearly imagine this being in the opening to the CT movie, even though it's not finished. The use of your brass section is very impressive, especially near the end.

Just, uh, you know...finish it. And give us a visual. I'm sure you'll have no problem whatsoever with either of those things.

You really want to replace the piano? There's already strings every where in there. It's really an integral part of the track. I could change it to something else, but it won't have the same effect.

The thing is, I'm very set on saving the piano exclusively for the ending theme, and if you could try something that worked as well as that (or even slightly less well) it would be a perfect piece. I understand if you don't want to...either way, you're still accepted. :)

I guess you could say I don't know any better. I've heard some amazing orchestral stuff come from remixers, so I assumed you guys could do just about whatever you needed to. Of course, the work I most think of as relating to this kind of project is Jeremy Robson's Final Fantasy VII Philharmonic Suite. Perhaps I'm thinking a little to boldly.

And no, I didn't quite expect John Williams quality work (no offense) to come out of this, but I was using him as the quintessential example of orchestral movie scoring.

By the way, I know you guy's are on top of things, but did you think about maybe doing a couple collaboration pieces with klutz? He's so good with the piano, I thought it might work really well with someone else's symphonic back-up.

Well, if you can give me a week or so to come up with something, I'll have incredible samples. Thanks to some good grades on my progress report, my mom's buying me Quantum Leap Silver, with me contributing my saved up fifty bucks. I found the demos of this sample thing to be incredible. However, I'm not sure if my computer will be able to handle it when it arrives.

But anyway, i know a lot of you will say that I'm stupid for buying samples,because anyone with good master abilities can make bad or free samples sound incredible, but I've really been dreaming of getting Quantum Leap Silver Orchestra. I'm really losing the electronic interest and I'm only really interested in doing orchestral music, so I guess this sorta justifies forking over 350 bucks.

Well, if you can give me a week or so to come up with something, I'll have incredible samples. Thanks to some good grades on my progress report, my mom's buying me Quantum Leap Silver, with me contributing my saved up fifty bucks. I found the demos of this sample thing to be incredible. However, I'm not sure if my computer will be able to handle it when it arrives.

But anyway, i know a lot of you will say that I'm stupid for buying samples,because anyone with good master abilities can make bad or free samples sound incredible, but I've really been dreaming of getting Quantum Leap Silver Orchestra. I'm really losing the electronic interest and I'm only really interested in doing orchestral music, so I guess this sorta justifies forking over 350 bucks.

I wish my parents would buy me stuff just for having good grades like that :(. They did buy me energyXT for my birthday which I love... but that's $40 vs. $350 (I'd rather buy energyXT myself and have them buy me EWQLSO silver, but that'd never happen :() Anyway, congratulations :D EWQLSOSE sounds great!

Unfortunately, you're only going to be able to use it on this project if the rest of us also have QLS. So unless you're willing to buy it for us... it's still gonna have to be free SF2's with little expception.

You can take three weeks (from yesterday) if you like. But just know that if you're using non-free samples in your piece, it won't be considered for the mandatory soundfont set. All samples used for the actual mixing stage must be from the same free set.

Oh, and $350? Well, $300 of that is your mom's, so...that must've been one damn good progress report. :)

ok claado... so you're post was really long and I read it fairly fast.... but are you actually planning on MAKING the movie? Cuz I didnt' see that part in there, but what good is a script and a soundtrack if you're not going to make the movie?

Also, did you say you TOOK OUT Ayla and Robo??? I hope I read that wrong... how do you just Take Out two Main characters??

1. No, I do not plan on making the movie. I have expressed a hope that should these two aspects of the movie come together, somebody will be willing to help create the third, namely the visual. But for now, the OST and the script are the only two finished products we're shooting for.

2. Yes, I took out Ayla and Robo. Along with them, I took out nearly an hour of unnecessary and confusing sidequests/backstory which would have drowned the movie with more than it needs. So know that my decision was well-thought-out, and the resulting product is not hurt, but instead is helped because of it.

...But Robo's my favorite :(

You can take three weeks (from yesterday) if you like. But just know that if you're using non-free samples in your piece, it won't be considered for the mandatory soundfont set. All samples used for the actual mixing stage must be from the same free set.

Oh, and $350? Well, $300 of that is your mom's, so...that must've been one damn good progress report. :)

I've sorta been begging her for a while. It's not even the end of 1st quarter yet. :lol:

Anyway, when you say the same free "set", does that mean we have to use the exact same samples?

Anyway, when you say the same free "set", does that mean we have to use the exact same samples?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Use what you like for the audition process, but just remember that in order to achieve the feeling of this entire thing being performed by the same orchestra, we need to achieve the sound of a single orchestra. Which means, one sample set.

Sorry if that douses your plans, but it's necessary.

The thing is, I'm very set on saving the piano exclusively for the ending theme, and if you could try something that worked as well as that (or even slightly less well) it would be a perfect piece. I understand if you don't want to...either way, you're still accepted. :)

I really don't think there's a problem with using piano in pieces. Piano is used a lot in film score music as a PART of the orchestra. I'm not highlighting the piano as a solo instrument here; it's part of the texture of sound. :P

ok claado... so you're post was really long and I read it fairly fast.... but are you actually planning on MAKING the movie? Cuz I didnt' see that part in there, but what good is a script and a soundtrack if you're not going to make the movie?

Also, did you say you TOOK OUT Ayla and Robo??? I hope I read that wrong... how do you just Take Out two Main characters??

1. No, I do not plan on making the movie. I have expressed a hope that should these two aspects of the movie come together, somebody will be willing to help create the third, namely the visual. But for now, the OST and the script are the only two finished products we're shooting for.

2. Yes, I took out Ayla and Robo. Along with them, I took out nearly an hour of unnecessary and confusing sidequests/backstory which would have drowned the movie with more than it needs. So know that my decision was well-thought-out, and the resulting product is not hurt, but instead is helped because of it.

Awww, is widdle Zaphwin gunna cwy?

P'zoned!!!

yes... lemme alone

Yeah, leave Zaphlin alone. He's simply being the CT fan we all know he is. Understandable attachment to a likable, though unnecessary, character.

Also...you know what, screw it. Use the piano. ZeaLitY's right, there's a crapload of time between the two pieces. Besides, it works.

SCRIPT UPDATE: I took out a scene and redid some of the earlier dialogue, which I hadn't done any revisions on. I also tested out an idea on a new version of the script that I thought might work out, but I realized it wouldn't at about page 20 (ZeaLitY knows what I'm talking about). So yeah...thar ye be.

I still need to get around to reading this thing. I've only played through the game once, but I thought I remembered Robo being vital to their quest...

Oh, and this is getting WAY ahead of ourselves, but I wonder if eventually you could put a sound play to it? Get together some reasonable voice actors (could be anybody, I don't mean professional ones) and act out the whole movie using the music in the background and everything. Even find some good special effects sounds for when needed. Damn, that would be fucking awesome. I would just sit back and listen to it and imagine the movie going on in my head.

Oh, like a radio show? That might be kinda cool.

Oh, and Robo was only vital to their quest when it came to accessing the Factory in the north. But since the Factory went bye-bye, so did Robo.

I find it amusing that nobody's said anything about Ayla yet. Apparently cavewomen are at the bottom of the likeability food-chain. :)

Oh, like a radio show? That might be kinda cool.

Oh, and Robo was only vital to their quest when it came to accessing the Factory in the north. But since the Factory went bye-bye, so did Robo.

I find it amusing that nobody's said anything about Ayla yet. Apparently cavewomen are at the bottom of the likeability food-chain. :)

Heh, Ayla was one of my favorite characters, but since the movie isn't being made, I really don't care that much.