Chrono Trigger: Chrono Symphonic - History

Claado Shou

Yes! Finally, regular internet access, my own room, my own phone, and some music to listen to!

I've listened to all of the new/updated pieces, and though it is a bit disappointing, after almost three months of available remixing time has passed, to see only a few additions to the plethora of music already created for this project, I am nonetheless very happy to see progress has been made, and good progress at that. I think the overall feel of epic-ness has been masterfully achieved, one mixer at a time, one mix at a time. I don't intend for this to be a very short process, and quality is key - it seems we've established that.

That said, I don't intend for this to be an incredibly lengthy endeavor either. My max time limit before I hit the Fleet is around 16-20 months (depending on additional schooling - Naval Nuclear Power Training Command is a bitch), and though that is the MAXIMUM, I'd like for the actual mixing to be done much sooner...somewhere in the 6-8 month mark, preferably. 4-6 is good as well, but...we'll see.

Anyway, as I said, schooling is a bitch, so my free time (roughly -4 hours a day, which cuts into my sleep time) will be only on the weekends. Errands/studying/school will be my life during the week, and as a result, Friday evening to Sunday morning will be my only window for anything related to Chrono Symphonic. Sadly, my life in the Navy will be rather stressful the next few years. However, the money and education make up for it.

My first plan of action (this weekend) is to reconnect with everybody that is related to this project. PR is a big step towards getting this back together around a singular goal, and focusing the now-defunct inspiration for this project back on music. Also, I want to try and organize some new efforts (such as website layout/structuring and database construction) in order to better accent the music, since this is going to be more than just an album by the time we're done. It's going to be a movement.

My second plan of action, as the weeks pass, is to address the script. With nearly four or five months of no access to the script, many things will change, all for the better. Hopefully. I'll minimize the change this makes to the music's input, and since the music has now influenced my own perception of the movie, believe me...the script will better reflect the soundtrack accompanying it.

So, yeah. Everybody involved, expect some sort of communication in the next few days. To all of the mixers that have continued to put forth effort into the project, even while I was incapacitated in Great Lakes, IL, I thank you beyond all measure of appreciation. You have helped defend the reliable nature of all OCReMixers and helped this project forward through dark times. Congratulations.

With all of these things said, please feel free to post and contact me even when I may not be looking. The weekend is a long time during which I can do many things. And every person counts. So for now, I bid you adieu and goodbye.

~.C.S.~

Alright, every mixer (except Rellik, since I IMed him) has been sent a PM about the project's direction, and you should all check out the front page as well. It has some new info, and other cool stuff like that as well.

So please, once again, continue working. Update, update, update. Fifty posts about one song's progress is better than no posts until it's done. You're leaving your fellow mixers in the dark, and that's just being unkind.

Also, my next priority is to get free hosting, so I'm off to see the Google, the wonderful Google of Oz. Or something.

~.C.S.~

Wow, Mr. Wu. This is...amazing. Beyond perfect. In fact, the product you have right now, despite being 2:00 under the time roof, is absolutely perfect for the scene. And I'll tell you why.

There are several points in your song (2, really) where I envision the song cutting off and then picking up several moments later, where no music fills the scene at all. PLUS, I think I may have miscalculated the time a bit, since most of the scene is fast-passing dialogue, and it just sounds so complete and perfected the way it is right now that I'm afraid you accenting it or extending it will ruin it.

So, if you so desire (which I hope you do), consider your song finished. I will update accordingly.

Also, would you please re-render the song without any lyrics and put it up somewhere online so that I can hear what the in-movie version would be like? It would be very helpful. Kthnx.

~.C.S.~

Before I address sephfire's questions, let me say this...

I posted this last night, but considering the occurrences of March the 7th, the message was erased, and I don't particularly have time to rewrite the entire thing. So, here's the bad news:

Unknown is off the project.

Many reasons were cited, some of which were lack of inspiration, lack of time, and a general disinterest in the project. He did, however, say that he had confidence that this team of fine mixers would be able to take up the slack and probably accomplish his song better than he could have himself, a high compliment from a famous name. So consider yourselves stronger for this, and not weakened...Unknown may be gone, but we all remain.

Onto sephfire's question...it has always been my intention to get this moved to the Site Projects forum once we have a website and some hosting space, so that instead of posting dozens of different web addresses for song links, they can all be downloaded off of a single site, and so we can also have something to show for the title "OCR Site Project". I take that distinction very seriously, and once I think we deserve it, I'll renew my request to be moved to that forum. Believe me, it will all come in due time.

Anyway...I have to go sleep (goddamn you, night study watch!) so I shall biddeth thee good night. And remember that this is a team effort as well...though I consider it my responsibility to procure webspace and do the initial design, some pointers in the right direction would be nice. Know of some free space with unlimited bandwidth and unlimited filespace that will actually host MP3s? Please drop me a line. The help will be appreciated, trust me.

~.C.S.~

Hm...no posts for four days...this seems very strange...

Anyway, I have a few things to put out there for everyone. As you all know from the topic already made about it, Chrono Trigger turned 10 years old only yesterday, which makes the year 2005 the 10th anniversary. This may not seem like a big deal to everyone here, but I think it would be phenomenally rewarding to a majority of the Chrono Trigger fanbase out there to receive something so substantial - the movie soundtrack to their favorite game, just in time to celebrate an occasion of this size.

We already have 51% of the game done, as you all know, and if we can get the rest done within a reaosnable amount of time, we're well on our way to giving CT a great birthday present.

Also, you have all certainly seen the third and newest Site Project be released, Hedgehog Heaven. Though there are bound to be many, many Sonic fans in the audience, including some of the people that participated on the project, I can tell you right now that the work displayed in Chrono Symphonic is much more impressive than what the completed whole of that project has.

This project is DESTINED to succeed. Pretty soon, we'll be the ones with our names on the front page, the ones getting all sorts of fan letters from unknown listeners, the ones whose works will cause a Slashdot effect and shut down the site for a day. That can - and WILL - be us, and very soon.

I've not had much luck or time finding anything that will host a site for free with the things we would need. Perhaps the best thing to do, and all we can do for now, is wait until the project has reached 75% or above in completion, and then ask DJPretzel for some hosting space. With its completion practically ensured, I'm positive he would consider the option.

For now, I think the best idea, to get every song into the same space, would be to submit them all to SoundClick under the band name "Chrono Symphonic", to allow for one page in which all songs would be available. It would only be temporary, and wouldn't have an interface or a design, but without webspace available...I'm afraid options are limited.

Also, what I'm about to do right now is start super-editing the script, while I have some free time. I'll let you know right now that I do intend to add one of the removed main characters, but in an altered form, so please don't read the new script expecting Ayla to come punching onto the scene or Robo to malfunction and save the group from a collapsing building. That type of comic-book stuff was removed for a reason...what I plan to add will be adhering to the feel that the CT movie has already established, a serious and epic persona. Just remember that as this new draft emerges in the near future.

Anyway...that's all I have. Edits must be made, and all that good stuff. So I shall say goodbye...

And happy (belated) birthday, Chrono Trigger!

~.C.S.~

So far, my only responses have come from Reuben Kee, Mr. Wu, mv, sephfire (as if it were a surprise), SirRus, and Unknown. I asked a mixer a short while ago about joining the project (FM, an incredibly talented orchestrator), and he is considering the task, so we may have a "replacement" (if you can call him/her that) for Unknown rather soon.

Otherwise...I've been having second thoughts about making this a Site Project, or rather, waiting to do so. At the moment, this is the only established project that ISN'T in that section of the site, and while that sets us apart, it also makes us much less visible, and it requires that we bump this thread constantly.

So, my question is, to all the mixers on this project: should I ask for this to be moved to the Site Projects forum forthwith? Please post your responses here, and I'll see what happens.

Anyway, school beckons, so...

~.C.S.~

I'm still in. It might be a good idea to get it moved to site projects, although does it really matter?

Oh, also, whilst i'm here, could you possibly send me the script portion for schala's scene? I'm trying to fit in Lavos's theme music (good idea? bad idea?).

Would it be possible to know the length of the track as well? i'm guessing at about 5-6 minutes, and i think i've got that much material

Alright, so another mixer accounted for and 2 votes for a Site Projects move.

Also, Mr. Wu, 5:00-5:30 would be awesome. The original was 6:30, but I've since decided to cut that down, so...5:00 would be fine. And Lavos' theme? That might be cool...let's see how it works out. Just remember that it slows down at the very end for when they go through the Gate, so...yeah.

Anything else?

Bump. (so it doesn't end up on page 2)

I've been following this thread since the first post, and I can honestly say that I extremely excited about what you're doing here. Even some of the WIPs are on my mix CDs now. Can't wait til this is done. It's gunna blow all the previous remix projects outta the water (and that's saying a lot) Good luck.

Site Projects Request = Yes! It never hurt to ask... and honestly I would like to know the criteria we do not yet meet to get us moved in there. Does Darkesword have a better insight into this (ie what exactly we need to do to get moved in there)? I only ask because he is involved with this project and is a judge... and a moderator.. and knows stuff like this.

Alright, then I guess the general consensus, from the few people that have bothered to respond, is that the Site Projects forum would be a step in the right direction.

Accordingly, I shall prepare something to submit as evidence of our worth, which won't be hard considering we have such a grand amount of quality work. Thus...stand by.

~.C.S.~

Well...for the 600th post of the thread, I, once again, have filespace online for all of the music...and this time, we have AMAZINGLY fast download times, so we aren't in the predicament we were last time.

I'm going to look into some sort of frontpage design or something of the sort, but I don't have any experience in that area, so...may take a while and some communication.

Keep submitting stuff!