Chrono Trigger: Chrono Symphonic - History

Claado Shou

Cool song, Ben. I'm glad you finally finished it...a bit too late, however.

As for the rest of the posts made in my absence, I REALLY appreciate the fact that you guys aren't calling for our public executions. It means a lot to me that you guys are willing to go through one disappointing release date after another all for the sake of the music. And Larry had it right...no one will remember the long wait, they'll only remember the glorious first listen, and the second, and then the many ones afterwards.

So again, sorry that St. Nick didn't bring you Chrono Symphonic for Christmas, but maybe St. Claado can bring it to you for New Year's. Or something equally clever.

<3 Compy.

~.C.S.~

I've given up hope for Duke Nukem Forever. I think that's how long it will be before it's finished. I'm counting on ""Duke Nukem 360", or heck ""Duke Nukem: Viva la Revolution".

This project though, it's something worth waiting for. Let we get glitchy music that freezes when I save wrong or put on the damned wraith mask at the wrong time!

<3 Computerfoxes

Alright...well, StarZander has finally gotten all of the site layout stuff revamped, as per my request, and though you can't see it until the project is released, it is AWESOME. I had to take some artistic liberties with what I had, but the end result is still a feast for the detail nut.

Anyway, the official site addy will be http://www.vizzed.com/chrono and is active now, although still in the un-updated state. However, this will be the site that the OCR sub-domain forwards to, so check it out until then. See you all when I have more updates to give.

~.C.S.~

Some news about the release(s):

:arrow:Chrono Symphonic will feature 25 tracks only!

That means that the audition tracks won't be included in this release. The "Regular Edition" will be a mp3 only version as of late, too.

The release date is still a thing to be posted, but it will be "this year". Not 2006!

:arrow:Chrono Symphonic will also be released as "Special Edition"!

Before anybody screams that we do a mp3 only release: The Special Edition will be released as lossless version (only). Or in other words - CD images. A Special Edition won't be one without some "bonus material". I won't spoil anything yet, but one thing is for sure... the waiting is totally worth.

The Special Edition will be released in January. No set release date either.

I keep you updated...

Which of the releases is going to be tracked on the OCR tracker? You need to work out the logistics of this release.

I would recommend that you just release the special edition as the normal one, even if it takes a little more time, rather than doing a stunted MP3-only release, and then setting up a brand new torrent for the special edition.

If it goes by me, the MP3 only version via the OCR tracker. DJP offered me the first time this came up to do an additional seeding on his tracker, too, if there will be something like an 'enhanced edition'. He just needs to adjust his tracker on the mainpage.

The main reason we do a mp3 "only" release are bandwidth issues (as in some listeners are still on dialup, especially over the holidays). Of course there can always be changes in the last minute (like maybe adding a lossless encoded version), but if you remember - "Relics of the Chozo" was also first released as OGG version only. A couple of weeks later (and due to popular demand) came a CD ISO.

I mean... "Hedgehog Heaven" was released as MP3 only project, so was "Bound Together" (not OCR), "Duck Hunt: Repecussions of Foul Lamentation" (also not official OCR) or "Relics of the Chozo". "Kong in Concert" was released as lossless version from the start, "Dark Side of Phobos" and "Kirby Rise of the Star" was released as "multiversion" (mp3/flac). Not to sound defensive or impolite, but do we really need to stick to that standard?

That's what the "Special Edition" is for.

It's like a DVD release - take the "Lord of the Rings" DVDs for example. First they were released 3/4th a year later than the cinema release to fresh up the storyline for the next part, and a couple of week/moths later came a Special Extended Edition. It's kind of similar for our case too. First we release the "Regular Edition" to celebrate the "10th Anniversary" of Chrono Trigger (better late than never) and a couple of weeks later, to keep the party "running", we release an enhanced version and show even more hommage for this game.

BTW: The "Special Edition" is planned to be released as Torrent via "Studio Compyfox" as main tracker. Mirror/Backup is ThaSauce so far. Of course a lot can change till the release of the special edition. That's why I said I can't go in-depth on that yet.

More soon.

I just think that it makes more sense to do a multiversion like we did with Doom and Kirby. Have the mirrors host the lossy-encodes (MP3s), and have the torrent distribution contain both lossy and lossless encodes in a selectable multifile torrent. Bandwidth issues solved.

Two versions creates more confusion for the end-listener, and if you do ONE torrent, it'll have a longer life than if you run two torrents parallel to eachother; running one torrent is more efficient as well as far as tracking and leeching.

Chrono Trigger was released in March '95 in Japan and August '95 in the US. We're still in the 10th anniversary year, so I don't think it's ridiculously important to do a release before January of 2006.

I think it's more important to do one cohesive release with everything available rather than to split it up with what basically amounts to an MP3-teaser release.

The only project to ever do multiple releases was Relics of the Chozo and that's because it was the first one, and there was a demand afterwards for lossless. We've come a long way since then, and we understand the demand associated with these big releases. I don't think we should complicate the release by doing two versions. Release the whole thing and be done with it.

We've been waiting patiently for over a year now. A few more weeks isn't going to kill anyone.

It's not a "mp3 teaser", it's a regular release!

Claado wanted to release it this year as he's occupied starting at the dawn of the next. It was also my fault (as mentioned a couple of times) that this release was postponed that often - Murphy's Law, can happen!

Another thing is that I still work on a lot of the bonus material, meaning that some stuff has yet to be finished too. Even if I wanted to, I can't release it (and by "it" I mean the "Special Edition") before new years eve.

If there're "releasing standards" for remixing projects now too, great... We can't (especially I can't) and won't do it any different.

And what's so confusing on different releases and/or release dates? Like I said... it's not any different with DVDs, video games, audio CDs, etc. Now if we do a torrent release "later" than the regular one, then there'll be screams for "why there is no torrent release" and that it's not good to "release it via homepages only - in modern internet times" (again that bandwidth discussion again). I don't get it why we have to give in, do it like somebody else started it cause he felt like it, and now all others adapt that idea? (mp3/flac release).

This is no stunt we try to pull off here. This is how we planned it in the last couple of weeks. You "still" get the lossless version - but a couple of days later. And if another project would have done it that way, I'd have gotten both versions too.

However I'm not the project coordinator. Claado has the final word on it. But I don't think that there will be massive changes anymore.

Just figured I'd throw in another point of view on dual releases (i.e. MP3/FLAC torrents). Personally, I've never really gotten the point. I don't really see why anyone would want both the FLACs and the MP3s. If all they want are something small and listenable, MP3s are fine, if they want something at its original quality, they can get the FLACs. If the torrents are being used as largely separate entities (one group sets the MP3s to Do Not Download, the other sets the FLACs to DND), there's not really much point in their being a single torrent in the first place. The only reason I can think of to have both is if one wanted a FLAC set for archival purposes (or to burn a CD) and an MP3 set for listening purposes (e.g., on a flash DAP). However, if they're already downloading the FLACs, they can encode their own portable files, in whatever format they wish, at whatever bitrate they wish.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts. See user name and sig before responding. :wink:

No one is expected to download both FLAC and mp3 files. In fact, people are usually encouraged to download only one type of file, to save bandwidth.

However, by having both files on one torrent, it becomes easier to manage; as Darkesword said, it is more efficient to have one torrent than two parallel ones.

I will say that, since I will most likely not be able to download the project until late January, I leave the decision of the release up to the project coordinator.

Just posting a little something something for the short wait ahead of us (really really short, yo)...

I've gotten a sneak peek of some of the songs from the project, fully refurbished via Compy's amazing talents, and if there were a verb to describe what you people will do when you hear the final product, "freak the f*ck out" would be the only applicable one.

So get settled in for the new year, people...it's not the only thing worth celebrating!

~.C.S.~