Chrono Trigger: Chrono Symphonic - History

Claado Shou

I for one have been excited about this Remix Project since I first heard about it. Chrono Trigger was one of my two favorite SNES games, so I am obviously excited about the prospect of hearing a complete project like this one.

And like others before me have said, there are a lot of us who are just plain bleeding from our ears to hear it. We've been ready as long as the project has existed. Some of us have been watching since it's inception. I'm typically an impatient person, but I understand that an undertaking like this one requires a lot of time and effort to accomplish. There are two or three games that I'd like to see Remix Projects of, but I *know* I don't have the time and effort (and ability for that matter) to see any of those off the ground myself. I'm just glad there are people out there who do have those qualities.

I've been more or less cool with the delays. The only thing I'd have to say that bothered me at all is the fact that there are people out there listening to it right now. =\ But I guess if I had a server capable of mirroring then I could have had that privilege as well. I'm just glad the BitTorrent technology exists or I wouldn't be able to help this project at all.

Also, after seeing the public "outcry" when more delays were announced just reminded me of why so many game companies just flat out got rid of the idea of announcing release dates. Blizzard's motto became "The patch will be out when it's done," simply because they know that there are some times (ok... when it comes to Blizzard: SEVERAL times) circumstances that are beyond their control. So they announce a day, miss it, and all their loyal fans and subscribers call them a bunch of liers (with various explatives included). So they pretty much abolished that practice. Perhaps not such a stringent deadline should have been applied. I mean, as you said yourself DarkeSword, as far as the 10 year anniversary goes, you have until the middle of 2006. Perhaps it would have been best to stick with, "Chrono Symphonic will be released as soon as it's finished."

Anyways, I can't wait to see/hear the finished product. I've got many other OC Remix projects on my computer but I really think this is shaping up to be the best one so far.

A big thanks to everyone involved. <3

"Hey guys, excited for mww?"

"MWW, wuts that lawl"

-_-

Anyhow, darke, bold or not, people are going to still review in here hahah.

This project has been like the most anticipated project yet, so safe to say that it will be a success and a huge fan favorite for a long time.

Goodjob to everyone on this. You guys are participating in something ground breaking on OCR until MWW comes out :).

Goodshit guys.

Well, we'll have an extra feedback thread for that, so please stick to that one. The thread remains open for questions only in terms of the "Special Edition". I'll get into that shortly, but fist of all, an apollogy.

An apollogy to all those who got dissapointed with the 5 or so releasedates and this whole thing still got postponed. It can happen. Most of the delays were on my behalf, the last one just wasn't expected. Simply... Murphy's Law... if you think everything goes well, it sure doesn't

The Second apollogy goes to all you listeners. In the last couple of days after I was done uploading the files for the people mirroring/the torrent release, I had the chance to take a deeeper breath and listen to the "regular edition". And as stuff like that always happens, I found some flaws in it in terms of mixing.

Which brings me to the next point, the "Special Edition" itself. I don't want to spoil that much "yet", but a little teaser and info for you, to keep things running.

:arrow:Chrono Symphonic - Special Edition will be completely "remastered"

Meaning that I'll take even more time for it and fix some issues with some tracks I'm not happy with (mainly reverb and EQ issues). This doesn't mean that the regular release is bad. It just means that even I are only human and with the tight timelines, problems while mixing with Wavelab, PC crashes (I lost count how often that happened), etc some minor flaws crawled even into this release. Again, I'm sorry about that.

:arrow:The Special Edition will have at least 35min of extra music material

You'll notice that there're the "audition tracks" missing in the "regular release". Those will be included in the Special Edition, along with a handful of new and previously unreleased tracks

:arrow:The Special Edition is aimed to have 3 CDs and will be released as ISO's (via Torrent)

Yup, that means "lossless" right from the start. It is planned that the CDs are prepared beforehand so that you can burn it straight to CD after you downloaded the torrent files. A mp3/FLAC release is not planned this time, but I consider at least a "remastered" mp3 release of the "Regular Edition", also available via torrent.

:arrow:The Special Edition will contain additional bonus material

Namely: Outtakes, Production Report, Trailer, Artwork, Songtext, Interviews, etc. So far it is planned to include all that on the 3rd CD as "Data Track" like some audio CDs have that too. I'm still sorting out the material so I can't say yet whether or not there will be a 4th CD just with those material only.

:arrow:Chrono Symphonic - Special Edition rough estimated release date

I can't say anything about a definite releasedate yet(!), but I aim for january 2006 (february latest). No guarantee on that yet, though. So please don't scream at me if it comes out a little later (remember, we're still have CT's 10th Anniversary till September). As soon as I think the "pack" is completely finished and ready for release, I'll give out a proper releasedate.

This is all I can give you for now. I'll keep you updated. I hope you'll enjoy the "first" release of Chrono Symphonic, but please stay tuned for the Special Edition, too.

Wow, you are one hell of a perfectionist! I can't wait to hear this, because I can tell you nitpicked the sound quality like...something that nitpicks...I will certainly look forward to the special edition, but damn, with that sort of devotion to quality, I'm sure your not lying about the second release not implying anything bad about the first.

I'm breathing deeply, trying to curb my enthusiasm.

sooooo... the release is tommorow. the 2nd... of january... of the 2000th and sixth year...

what time should I expect to be giddy as a school girl to DL Chrono Symphonic? ...or will Chrono Symphonic become truly timeless with another delay? :wink:

<3 all

Dunno what's up to with the page. However Claado told me that the lyrics (yeah ment that, sorry) will be included on it. The outtakes have a different purpose, though. But I won't say anything about that "yet". ;)

Edit:

I haven't given an update on the "release", so I can't say a thing about it. But it was planned that way. "When" it will be... sorry... can't say either. Folks... you starting that thing again. Don't force me to lock the thread if that goes out of hand.

That Special Edition sounds incredible.

<3 Compy

<3 Claado

<3 Chrono

Aw no <3 Eon?

After all, *I* was finished my part on time.

OH SHI-

I guess I should fix those wallpapers with the dates on them too. Versions with no date on them will be out with the torrent anyway, I believe.

Is anyone actually using them? I've gotten a few people mentioning they'd like versions with no logo or quote on them whatsoever. It's still related to the project, but it's not as much of an advertisment as the original. Anyone want unblemished versions? I'm up for it if people are after it.

I guess I should fix those wallpapers with the dates on them too. Versions with no date on them will be out with the torrent anyway, I believe.

Is anyone actually using them? I've gotten a few people mentioning they'd like versions with no logo or quote on them whatsoever. It's still related to the project, but it's not as much of an advertisment as the original. Anyone want unblemished versions? I'm up for it if people are after it.

GO FOR IT.

Also, if you make a 1920×1200 version for my widescreen laptop, I'd most definitely use it.

<3 Eon

The Special Edition is aimed to have 3 CDs and will be released as ISO's (via Torrent)

I would really prefer it to be released as FLACs, as ISOs will just waste download time for something I'll be converting to FLAC anyway. (FLAC is bit for bit exactly the same as the original audio, only smaller. The compression process actually stores an MD5 of the track to make sure of this.)

Anyway, definitely looking forward to the release, keep up the good work everyone.

*sigh* Not "that" discussion again. Look... if you don't want to download the ISO's, then don't do it. But I won't make different versions this time. ISO's are already lossless, packed up in RAR they eat as much as FLAC's "non packed". You can do the encoding for yourself.

No discussion on that this time. I plan this for weeks now. And my opinion won't change. Sorry. Same with the mp3s. I said "maybe there will be some", but it's not a "must" for me. Also the SE is no must, but I've been working on C.S. for so long now, with a couple of extra material that went on "behind the scenes". Why not push it out?

Sorry if that doesn't please you or even offend you. But these are my rules this time.

And think about this: You get 3(!) CDs with music, professionally engineered... for free. You'd usually pay at least 35bucks for such a project "minimum", and then it's barely a 2 CD release.

Unfortunately, considering that I won't have internet access the entire time the next few days (I'm currently at a Jameson Inn using a wireless connection, on my way to New York), I probably won't be able to announce the release previous to it happening. So the best I can tell you guys, and the best you're going to get, is that it SHOULD be the next two days, the 2nd or the 3rd. I have to wait until I, DJP, and SZ are all available at once, and then it will come out. Trust me, I want NOTHING more than to do this quickly. But we're gonna do it right too.

And also, Compy and I are mentally and emotionally done with people complaining or asking for something different than what they're getting. You're not paying for the privilege of hearing this, and you're not the ones that are sacrificing time and energy and other important aspects of your busy lives for doing this. And just because it's a Fan Project doesn't mean that you, the fans, have any say in how it happens. ISO is the release format of the Special Edition, that's that. I appreciate everyone that isn't badmouthing the decision, but to you others...please wrap it up.

And now back to other business...thanks to DarkeSword for deciding to keep the thread up and running during the SE release. Just wanted to say that.

~.C.S.~

I will say this. Without giving too much lead into things, this album is definitely worth the wait. I won't go into too much more detail because of the big, 16 inch font message on page 116, but it definitely rocks and the team should be very proud of themselves.

The Special Edition seems to be a good idea as well, almost a "just before you thought we were done, we aren't"type deal.

wow, i feel so ignorant posting this....

anywhay i was just wondering what an ISO format was :oops: and i was just curious on how to listen to them, b/e from the sound of it it sounds a lot better format then mp3s.

*so embaracing* lol

Usually I use Daemon Tools (linked is the last non-adware version) for that sort of thing. It is pretty easy, just a waste of space IMHO.

Please don't take it as an insult or anything that I made that suggestion; no "badmouthing" was happening. I wish people wouldn't take things the wrong way.

Like I told you already... I won't release a FLAC/mp3 version this time. If that's a waste of space in times of 400+GB HDDs... your thing. Final word on that.

The main computer I use has a HD of just under 20 gigs. My new computer has under 30. In fact, I don't know anybody who has a computer with over 100 gigabytes.

That aside, though. I apologize if this has been said before in the thread, but what size are we talking about for these ISO files? If it's just enough that I can store until it gets burned, then that'll be fine.

That Special Edition sounds incredible.

<3 Compy

<3 Claado

<3 Chrono

Aw no <3 Eon?

After all, *I* was finished my part on time.

OH SHI-

I'm using them. And hey, if it's easy to release unblemished versions, I wouldn't turn them down.

Most ISOs are between 650 to 700 MB if the entire CD is used. There are some CD'sthat can go up to 900 MB, but those are very, very, very rare and I can't think of anyone who has ever released anything using that capacity (possibly because by that point, the data is more prone to becoming corrupt?)

So...going with 700 MB iso images...

700 * 3 = 2100 MBs or roughly 2 gigs. Due take into account the crudeness of this equation.

Now, this is presuming they use all three CDs to their entirity (SP?).

So, you are set. Furthermore, it is NOT that hard to buy a new, 80 gig HDD. When I bought an EXTERNAL HDD back in the States, it was roughly 80 U.S.D. By now, things should be even cheaper, perhaps 60 U.S.D. I know I was able to snag a 40-gig notebook drive (a much smaller, thereby more expensive drive) for about 50 U.S.D. So, even if you are in desperate need for space, you can always go that option. And once you have burnt the album, you can still use that drive for a good couple of years, even using it from one computer to another...

The main computer I use has a HD of just under 20 gigs. My new computer has under 30. In fact, I don't know anybody who has a computer with over 100 gigabytes.

Well I have over 380GB. A friend of mine is already over 1TB.

That aside, though. I apologize if this has been said before in the thread, but what size are we talking about for these ISO files? If it's just enough that I can store until it gets burned, then that'll be fine.

CD1 has 47min, CD2 has 39min. Dont't know how big CD3 will be. Just think of 3x700MB. Even though I will pack them. And of course, the less material on the CD, the smaller the packed files. Or in other words: I can't say you anything about that yet.