Chrono Trigger: Chrono Symphonic - History

Claado Shou

• 1 month later...

Yeah sorry about that (being absent and stuff). Things coming along slowly, but smoothly. If I could clone myself, I'd do so.

Some "slight" news for you however:

One track of the regular edition is actually being processed in terms of "enhancement". It's still not 100% sure, but Claado works on a longer version of "The Third Guru" (CD2).

Still can't tell you more than you already know. We don't give out releasedates this time either, cause this would only cause frustration again. It's out when it's out. And it will be good. This is all I can give you on the way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Not dead, really. Just...not that alive. Sorta hit by a car and left in the street, bleeding. But someone HAS called an ambulance, and resuscitation is hopefully on the way.

Basically, Compy relayed to me that he's restarted work, but he has other things on his mastering platter, so...don't expect it to be done any time soon, but it should be forthcoming.

~.C.S.~

• 7 months later...

I was away for a week, and when I got back I had gotten no less than TWO fanmails about Chrono Symphonic, and I haven't gotten any for over a year. First of all, I don't understand why they email me instead of Claado Shou, and second... What made them mail this around teh same time? Coincidence? Or has Chrono Syphonic been featured somewhere? Nothing special in the mails. I'll quote them here:

Ross Coyle

I need to know who to get in touch with about the Movie Project. Who

the main coordinator of the efforts of the script and outliners. I

want to know how to get involved in making this a reality.

Roelof Konijnenberg

Hey dude,

I just wanted to say....well, dunno how to say it, but "wow" comes closest I guess. Chrono Symphonic might just be the most awesome thing I ever heard.....kudos to you and everyone else working on this.....

Peace out,

Roelof

• 1 month later...

Just letting you guys know that before I ever touched Chrono Trigger, I was listening to Chrono Symphonic. The music got me into the game, and after playing the game mostly through, I sat down with the script and a pair of headphones and just listened/read for a couple of hours. I'm pretty sure I was moved to tears at some point. Special edition or not, CS is a wonderful contribution to the fan community and the remixer community in general, and I thank you guys a ton.

I cranked out some fan art during that time but I'm too lazy to dig it up, so... yeah. XD

• 2 weeks later...

Chrono Symphonic is the devil...because now I have to create a series of live-action movies for Chrono Trigger (four to be exact) in my lifetime. Hopefully many of you folks involved with this project will not drop off the radar between now and then because it would be a shame not to be able to create a score from a track or at least a similar sounding score for the movie because we couldn't find the original authors. Getting the game composers involved will be hard enough without having to scour the Internet for a trace of someone who's been out of contact for years...

• 1 month later...

Hey,

I just wanted to let you know. On the Chrono Symphonic site, this link not only did not work, but linked me to a virus:

http://www.kylejcrb.com/mirrors/ChronoSymphonic/CD2/Chrono_Symphonic_16_Schala_and_the_Queen.mp3

Thought you should know. Otherwise, excellent website design and concept for one of my favorite games.

- Mike

Just got this in my mail. FYI.

I made this post in the other Chrono Symphonic thread. Just want to make sure that anyone who checks this thread sees this also.

As many people on this forum know, I am an editor of the increasingly well-known Chrono Trigger Novel Project (linked to in my sig). We're seeking official publication and are very close to sending out chapters to Square. They know of our existence and we have not been C&D'ed, so that alone is an indication that they're willing to give us a shot. We've been writing & editing the novel as well as collecting signatures for an official petition to Square Enix indicating the fans really do want this.

We made an appearance at MAGFest last year to bolster publicity and gain signatures. We made a few small waves and got cozy with some of the OCR community. Ever since, I've been getting more involved here in addition to working on the CTNP.

We're definitely going to return for MAGFest VI, and this time we want to really make ourselves known with an official event. This event will probably be a dramatic reading of some selections from the novel, followed by a Q&A session. We'd gain more attention this way, and it's better than just asking for signatures.

We were hoping that, in order to make the dramatic reading more... well... dramatic, the appropriate Chrono Symphonic track could play in the background for whatever scenes we choose to read. It could serve as an unofficial alliance between these two organizations, and I think it would work out really well.

• 5 months later...

This may seem weird for this project, but what is the possibility of music scores for this? Something along the lines of piecing together a full score for the entire "movie". I'd love to see something like that, and I'd be willing to piece all the, well, pieces/tracks together into a score. Perhaps that would help later on down the line.

But then you have to ask yourselves, do you leave the instrumentation for each track as is or expand to a full film orchestra setting?

Hmm.

Still, I would love to be able to review the scores for each track. I'm just weird like that.

I think the majority of remixers on this project sequenced their pieces in a piano roll environment, rather than with programs like Finale or Sibelius... thus converting those projects to readable scores would definitely be an undertaking. Plus, considering the age of the project, it is not likely that all the project files are still available. You would almost be better off simply transcribing by ear.

The only problem I would have with transcribing it by ear is that I might end up standardizing the instrumentation across the board prior to transcribing. Transcribing would probably be an undertaking as well, but I'm up for the challenge. I just don't want to end up with an instrumentation that requires changes to the score.

I'd like to poll to see what files are still available, and then work from there. Piano roll isn't that hard to read, but then again I started with that, so I know a few tricks I can use.

Wouldn't it be great if everything was in MIDI format...just to make it a generic place to start?

I think the first question I should ask is whether or not this would be worth the time. I would like to think it would be worth the time, especially if there is a chance this might actually come to fruition as a movie.

What do you all think? I want to do it, but I also want all the remixers to say it's alright first. After all, it is their work, first and foremost. (And Mitsuda and Uematsu, of course.)