OCR02156 - *YES* Wild Guns 'With the Gold Comes the Curse'

Liontamer

ReMix name: With The Gold Comes The Curse

Game: Wild Guns

Source: Gold Mine stage

ReMiXer: ilp0

I made this remix for the Hiroyuki Iwatsuki tribute compilation called IWADON (http://iwadon.com/), but I failed to finish this on time so it's not on the compilation.

It's finished now so I'll try to post it here...

It's got some James Bond theme song influences and some western moods too..

--

================================

Ilari Nieminen

--------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX6XXGzoy7g - "Gold Mine"

In a vacuum, I love the track. It's cool, and no one can doubt Ilari's arrangement & production skills. That said, I don't feel this used the source enough to be the dominant portion of the arrangement.

The track was 4:22-long, so I needed over 131 seconds of source use for it to be above 50% and pass it. The source usage breakdown I had was

:28.5-:45.25 (-2.2 for rests), 52.5-1:11 (-3.8 for rests), 1:11-1:19, 1:20.75-1:27, 1:30-1:36, 1:39-1:44, 2:03-2:10, 2:32-2:41 (-4 for rests), 2:46-2:51 (-2 for rests), 2:52-3:02, 3:24-3:30, 3:38.25-3:44, 3:52.5-4:10

...which came to 109.25 seconds (41.7%). There was also a section from 3:05-3:23 which may have been very, very loosely based on the chorus, but it was too liberal, IMO, and didn't sound as if there was a direct connection to the source.

Arrangement-wise, I needed more overt usage of the source tune, but I will say that the original sections all pieced together seamlessly and would make anyone thing those parts were also from the game soundtrack.

I'm really digging this as a listener, but, as is frequent with Ilari's music submissions, he really walks a fine line between using the source material enough vs. getting more indulgent with original, non-VGM-based sections. Sorry that I can't vote in favor of this one, but I always look forward to your stuff.

NO (resubmit)

Larry, why aren't you counting the rests as part of the musical phrase? All he did was shorten the source note, but the rhythm is remaining pretty much the same.

I'm going to have to agree with Larry that the source usage was a low, but adding those seconds he removed for rests bring the usage up to ~44%. I am fine with that usage because of how it is approached, and how Ilari keeps returning to the source without too long of a break in between.

Loved listening to this one. YES

Very classy take on the source for sure, and I still LOL at Larry for his stubborn and un-musical treatment of rests, but in this case, I think I'll be siding with him. I definitely hear connection to the source, but i'm not sure it's enough to be consistently dominant for me.

Production is awesome, performances solid, I love the track, but the source use isn't quite frequent or dominant enough. :-(

No

Man, this is tough. It's definitely a liberal arrangement, but I hate to do the literal percentage breakdown of source vs. original material. To a certain extent, I think you have to go with your gut... and my gut is telling me that the connection is apparent enough. I also think the polished production and particularly creative and well-executed interpretation should count for something - bonus points, if you will. If those aspects were just "okay", I might lean the other way, but they are far above the bar.

YES

Love this source, especially that rocking B-section. Iwadon rulez. The arrangement is pretty awesome as well, like something out of Trigun. Brittle guitar over an vast soundscape - you can practically see the tumbleweeds rolling by.

Count those rests! This is a very spare melody and I think the whole section should be counted even if the notes aren't held. I'd also count the B-section usage at 3:05-3:23 because of how distinctive the chord progression is. Don't get me wrong, the song is still on the liberal side, but with counting rests in both sections and 3:05-3:23, it's firmly over 50% and A-OK in my book.

YES

Love the take on the source tune. This is a really well produced track with a really interesting soundscape. I love the chippy stuff underneath the processed organic elements; it really fills in the space in an interesting way. Guitar work sounds wonderful.

This makes me thing of some crazy, Matrix-stylized Western. Awesome

YES

• 4 weeks later...