NEWBIES: No "favorite ..." threads

The Coop

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
There is a very easy way to prevent favorites threads being made. Just sticky ONE "favorite remix" thread in GD. At several anime sites I frequent, people don't create favorites threads because one already exists as a sticky.

The problem is we don't want any favourite remix fullstop, as we don't want to hurt the feelings of remixers etc.

• 2 weeks later...
A little nudging to fight off the deletion fairy.

Look at the topic type again, these don't time out ;)

OMG THERE IT IS!!!!

;)

Huh. I hadn't noticed that. I'm so used to these few threads being stickies, it had become almost instinctual to bump them after the last couple months. Nice to see they've been given a more permanent status.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, since it has vanished yet again, here's the third version of this thread.

For those of you coming here for the first time, this is just a friendly request to avoid making a "favorite remix/remixer" thread on this site. I'm sure you're wondering "Why?". Well, the answer is pretty simple. Those threads almost always degenerate into flame wars, as they have been done literally hundreds upon hundreds of times (and thusly, everyone is sick of them). Also, those threads usually get the same answers each time, and this can lead to hurt feelings... and yet more flames.

If you feel the urge to divide your OCR collection up into the "WOW!" and "HOW'D THIS GET ON THE SITE?!" categories, please do so on your hard drive, and not on the site itself.

Moderator edit:

We're broadening this to favorite stuff threads in general. They have the nasty habit of causing flamewars very fast(along the lines of "U IDIOT TAHT GAEM/SYSTEM SUX BALLZ") Same goes for those silly "Who would win?" threads actually. There's no winners in those, only losers. Not to mention that in most cases it's impossible to determine who'd win, since it's all based on opinion anyways ;).

Sorry to re-quote everything you wrote coop but i just want to agree on the fact that favorite topics do lead to flame wars and feelings being hurt. so pretty much, it's not a bad idea to ban favorite threads at all.

• 3 weeks later...
Moderator edit:

We're broadening this to favorite stuff threads in general. They have the nasty habit of causing flamewars very fast(along the lines of "U IDIOT TAHT GAEM/SYSTEM SUX BALLZ") Same goes for those silly "Who would win?" threads actually. There's no winners in those, only losers. Not to mention that in most cases it's impossible to determine who'd win, since it's all based on opinion anyways ;).

NO MORE NINJA-PIRATE FIGHTS!? NOOOO!!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was reading this thread when suddenly it hit me. I JUST SPENT THE LAST FIFTEEN MINUTES OF MY LIFE READING THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN! Today is a boring day. But yeah, any discussion about favorites always ends badly. You should have seen this one thread called "DRAGONBALL Z VS. LOBO" (it was on a different site) One guy had actually hacked one of the other people posting on the thread, found out their address, and threw a brick through the guys window that said

VEGETA KICKS ASS, YOU STUPID M----- F-----!
The only reason I know this is because the other guy threatened to retaliate. It was the funniest thing I've seen in years. Long story short, some nerds get way to worked up about those things.

• 3 months later...

Now would creating a "Wich______ do you reccomend" thread be looked down on? Do you think it would invoke flamming? You see I'm not sure whether I want a photobucket account or image shack to host my photos and such. (those were suggested in the image sticky)

I mean I've never used either, so I'm open to any and all suggestions. I just don't want to get banned for doing something silly.

Now would creating a "Wich______ do you reccomend" thread be looked down on? Do you think it would invoke flamming? You see I'm not sure whether I want a photobucket account or image shack to host my photos and such. (those were suggested in the image sticky)

I mean I've never used either, so I'm open to any and all suggestions. I just don't want to get banned for doing something silly.

Not in this section (Tech Help/Newbies), where it really should be. In other places... it really depends on the maturity level of whoever is online at the time of posting. :P

Recommendation threads, as far as I'm aware, are pretty acceptable. I see them every so often in GenDisc and even in UnMod.

And as for Photobucket vs Imageshack, I personally prefer Imageshack, since it allows bigger file sizes (1024 kb vs 250 with PB), and you can easily transload an image from another site so you don't have to leech from their bandwidth. However, PB is more user friendly and makes it easier to share pics with other people by making your album public, like mine, for example.

• 3 months later...