SPC upscaling?

_Raijin_

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section. I've searched the forums a bit and turned up no result so here goes. I remember, a good long while back, there was mention, I think on here, of a community based around taking old SPC tunes, exporting the 8 individual tracks and upscaling/modifying/modernising the sound and creating newer versions of old tunes using only the base SPC source track as material. I can't for the life of me find it anywhere on the net, google nor forum search functions seem to be helping me. Just wondering if anyone remembers or knows if this little project is still going on? or was it part of a thread on this site somewhere?

Shit I hope you get an answer. That sounds badass.

yeh I've done a couple myself, want to see what else is out there. Am tempted to start a mini project myself and finish off the rest of the FF5 soundtrack that I've started ^^ It's impressive what a bit of tweaking can do an already epic soundtrack!

So you basically want to mix & master them. People have done this before with SNES and Genesis gamerips, there was a thread at VGMix which is gone now. One issue though is that the channels will not always be playing the same instrument, depending on the artist a channel might be playing a lead, then switch to a cymbal or something. You'd have to cut up the channel recordings and arrange everything properly to make suitable mixer track channels.

This is easier to do with modules as you can simply crop out individual samples and record one by one, I don't think there is any SPC player capable of doing that. You can convert SPCs to IT modules though, but I don't think the conversions will always sound flawless and you'll lose the reverb (but that might even be a good thing considering what you want to do).

So you basically want to mix & master them. People have done this before with SNES and Genesis gamerips, there was a thread at VGMix which is gone now. One issue though is that the channels will not always be playing the same instrument, depending on the artist a channel might be playing a lead, then switch to a cymbal or something. You'd have to cut up the channel recordings and arrange everything properly to make suitable mixer track channels.

This is easier to do with modules as you can simply crop out individual samples and record one by one, I don't think there is any SPC player capable of doing that. You can convert SPCs to IT modules though, but I don't think the conversions will always sound flawless and you'll lose the reverb (but that might even be a good thing considering what you want to do).

Ah, must have been the vgmix one that I remember then. Surprised it didn't catch on. thanks for that

Yeah. I've noticed this. Some spcs are REALLY bad for it.

Some have essentially 1-instrument-per-channel and you can mute all but one to hear any particularly instrument but then some seem to have each note play on whatever channel they want and are ridiculously meticulous to take apart.