Sign in to follow this  
Outset Initiative

finished Metroid Prime - Underwater Frigate Reactor Core (Justice Z Remix)

This is my first post here, so let me know if I've done anything wrong! :)

This is a remix from Metroid Prime, Underwater Frigate Reactor Core, by Kenji Yamamoto. I finished it a few months ago before finding OCRemix. Original Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmJTk3WZ-GM

You can listen to my remix on: (For those of you who like Metroid Prime, I actually made a gameplay video to go along with my remix!)

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DarYri-39zU

SoundCloud: http://soundcloud.com/justicez/underwater-frigate-reactor-core_psycha-remix

Thanks for listening, cheers everyone!

Edited by Outset Initiative

I remixed this recently for a totally secret Prime project, so I know the source well. You've got an instrument that's really weirdly timed in the intro, a high kind'a wailing synth sound. Time that one better or make it seem less accidental. Then there's the piercing bell sound that needs some muffling or something.

Waay too much bass, and it's causing some serious compression issues. When the bass and kick drop out at 5:47, the track gets so much better. Fix the compression and excessive bass and subbass. Most of the other instruments don't need much bass either, but the kick and bass are the main offenders here. Shorter compressor time would also help.

The tremolo effect you're using from around 4:20 is weird. Nothing wrong with tremolo, but it doesn't sound intentional. Give stuff like that a little more thought as to how they fit with the flow of the track.

It's a bit on the conservative side, but if this was subbed to ocr, I wouldn't mind the interpretation. It's too long to repeat the same two or three ideas tho.

I like it. Has a bunch of production problems and some length issues, but it's got groove and a cool sound. Nice work, now fix it up and make it great. :P

...and welcome to ocr. :D

Thank you for the feedback.

Just to skip ahead to the largest issue, the bass, I can honestly say that I'm not surprised. I have never been very good with the whole compression idea. I can definitely hear the difference between compressed/non-compressed bass, but my issue is not understanding what to listen for. Maybe you could give me some pointers? Or are there any good instructions/tutorials that you know of?

Most of the other things you mentioned are either intentional or easily fixable. Although, I probably won't go back and revisit this track for awhile, at least until I understand compression and can make a significant improvement. :P

I'm glad you enjoyed it, even with its flaws. And if your totally secret Prime project is not totally secret anymore, I would be interested in hearing your remix! :)

Cheers!

Best I can tell you is to sit down and listen to music, really pick it apart. if you do it on the wip board, you get to hear newb mistakes. If you do it with music industry music, you hear the flawed trends of modern music production. If you do it with old recording, you hear primitive production. If you listen to concert recordings, you hear reverb from the venue and occasional performance slipups. Listen, pick it apart, figure out what standard you wanna go for. Without the right tools, you're not gonna make über-produced stuff, but that doesn't mean you can't improve with the tools you've got.

In the case of the bass, grab a bunch of well mixed tracks in similar styles. Listen to them. Make a playlist, add yours there. When yours comes up, what's different? Too much bass? Too long bass drum? Too much volume pumping? Not enough volume*? Too much highs. Not enough highs? Thin? Muddy? Shrill? Indistinct? Distant? Figure out what's different, figure out why, figure out how to fix it... and then you're one step better at production. :D

*) tricky to pull off without pro mastering tools, _I know_

And no, you can't listen to the track. Totally secret is totally secret. :P

Haha the prime project isn't secret, it's just not in public domain for reasons concerning having to have a PR guy. (because I totally suck at PR and don't want to set release dates and make teasers and stuff)

ON TOPIC:

In addition to what Rozo said, the snare/clap is pretty thin and weak. Stop panning it around, make it thicker.

That kick also needs more mid bass and less sub bass. Needs some THUMPING if you're gonna have that crazy side chaining going on.

Thanks for listening neblix. I'm making notes of all these comments, so when I do figure out my bass stuff, I can test all of these ideas out. I was trying to keep my percussion on the light side, but i'll definitely try giving it a bit more presence.

I have to admit, out of all the bgm songs in Prime 1.

I always loved the underwater frigate theme.

(here you give it a "BT" trip, now that is classy!)

This remix still keeps that "haunting" melody. But it keeps the energy high.

Solid, love it. =D

Thanks guys!

Yeah Kadosho, I have to agree with you, this song is definitely one of my favorites as well. Tallon Overworld and Phendrana Drifts would be on my list as well though. :)

After hearing this mix, I don't know if I can call Phendrana my favorite theme anymore. :)

I agree, Phendrana Drifts and Tallon Overworld are some of the best, along with this one. Also the menu theme. :)

All the Prime games have great music, but the first one had the best.

Does anyone know how far the project has come so far?

That's just not soon enough! If I could, I would hook up Metroid Prime music directly to my veins. :)

this is why i don't run this project publicly.

SO I DON'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH PEOPLE LIKE YOU :<

But in all seriousness, the less you ask the sooner it gets done.

That's how karma works. :D

done and answered, now stop posting off topicly ;)