OCR01256 - Donkey Kong Country "Cry of the Chasmal Critter Chain"

djpretzel

Wow. This ReMix PERFECTLY encaptures the feel of the cave levels on DKC. For anyone who has grown up with the game, or at least played it and savoured the music and graphics the really do try to capture the essence of the wild jungles, forests, caves and other terrains covering Africa, this music perfectly encaptures my idea of CAVE. Beautiful, restful and CAVE.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow, this song is marvelous. It may start a little slowish, but if you just have patience, you can experience the full glory of this remix. Beautiful cello cooperating with drumbeats, synths and some cool marimba makes this one of the best, adhesive boy really sticked to this one and finished it graetly. And if you liked this, you REALLY have to check out the Kong concert.

I cannot set up links, so you just have to go to djpretzel´s review like everybody else.

Adhesive boy, until we meet again. 8)

I didn't like the original DKC song this was based on, but it's a good mix. I liked the arpeggios at 1:45. Overall it's nice and smooth .. What is that weird background sound panning at 2:20? Very realistic strings in the forground around 3:00 but the background strings sound fake and squeal a little. I likes the melody around 3:20 but the bass is overpowering the treble a little too much. I like how you subtlely worked a couple samples from the original. It's a well done inside reference.

It's a decent mix.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had this song for months now, but I think it deserves a comment here now simply for the fact that this song contains such a beautiful intro. Cool yet so soft, it draws you in so carefully. I just find it strange that it still sounds absolutely perfect, it still gives me that feeling of exactly what it is being. I can't think of any other song that does that, I think "carefully" was the keyword there. The intro doesn't ask anything of you, and gets it so right that many months later I find myself wondering how a song exists that still makes me feel like it did the first time I heard it. I never really thought people could do that.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Overall, this is a good mix. It starts off slow, but builds nicely over the first minute. I loved how the song layered all of the instruments, especially when the strings were added about a minute in; the song comes together very nicely at this point. The chimes at 2:25 really brings you back to DKC. After that point, the mix was nice, but you begin to lose the sense of being in a cave, which is what I think draws the listener into the song. However, it does not detract from from a very nice mix. Great job.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Has a typical remix feel to it...

EXCEPT... the usage of real instruments. The cello definitely takes the cake. Also, the improvised melody with the keyboard instruments. In the middle, there's a quiet but prominent suitcase piano instrument... can't put my leg on it right now, but it gives the melody a kind of cozy feel to it. Right about that point it gives me the feeling of sitting down, eating or enjoying coffee at a busy diner in the middle of a large city. There's bustling all about, but I'm able to sit down and talk and/or read the paper...

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Has a typical remix feel to it...

I have to disagree here - this feels pretty unconventional, partly due to the chosen source material, but it feels completely cohesive and organic. While the cello is nice, it's not just the live instruments that gives this mix personality. Every element of the soundscape comes together to make this mix memorable and unique.

One of my favorite DKC remixes, killer job! :-D

• 2 months later...

Adhesive_Boy, where did you go? The world needs more amazing remixes from you.

This song is nostalgia overload - one of the most well-realized DKC mixes on the site imo. I think the hi-passed strings at 2:40 might be mixed slightly too high, but in no way does it hurt the track. Superb production and arrangment ideas make for a moody, nostalgic, and oh-so-subtly haunting listen.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Fantastic....the xylo beat was probably the part of this and bravo on adding real chello to it. You know, a mix that makes me like the source a little more than I used to makes it greater than some other mixes do to me. The fact that I never cared about the original until I heard this says something. Good job.

• 9 months later...

This was one of my favourites from Kong in Concert, and that's saying something considering I couldn't for the life of me remember this source in the slightest. Usually the ReMixes I relate to most I have some sort of connection with the original source, but not this one. The slow pace of the intro and masterful execution of the cello and xylophone give this mellow remix an assurance that if you listen patiently, you will be rewarded.

The drum beats at 1:36 and 1:46 are great, and then when the song quietens down and builds up again bringing in that bell sound it's just lovely. A really nice change of pace, and a surprisingly good arrangement considering the weak source material.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01256 - Donkey Kong Country "Cry of the Chasmal Critter Chain"