Portal 2

Rambo

I'm not sure you quite understood what I meant; The song doesn't sound like he laboured in an attempt to outdo his previous work. "Want You Gone" sounds like it came out organically, rather than trying to "beat" the success of "Still Alive." Harken back to Eminem's lyrics in "The Way I Am," how his label wanted him to repeatedly achieve the same results as "My Name Is" with new songs and he was aware that that methodology would fail him. :P
No no no... I didn't mean it was an attempt to best the track. I just meant that IMHO, he's created a better song :D Like you said, organically, and I just happen to like it better than Still Alive :D

Some of us may have differing opinions about the ending songs of the two games. I think they are both equal in quality, maybe the second one being more of a broad song and the first being specific to Portal. I think the surge in popularity in the first one was due to the fact that such an ending song was not done before. There is usually a random pointless song or the main theme in an epic form at the end. Yet Portal was odd in that up until the end there was no "music" until the credits.

Also, it hasn't been mentioned, but please don't spoil the game for me. I will return to my Xbox in about 2 weeks, and I will definitely get it the first day I come back.

Yet Portal was odd in that up until the end there was no "music" until the credits.

Portal (1) has music at various parts of the game, but none with vocals until the end credits.

The music tracks are named after where they first play in the game, with names like "Taste of Blood" and "Subject Name Here."

This game is amazing. A definite improvement from the already awesome concept of the first game. One of my favourite new additions are the light bridges. Story has some interesting hooks, but I haven't beat it yet so I'm wondering what else is in store.

Can't wait to try out some co-op with my friend when he picks it up this weekend.

Kudos Valve.

Don't forget 4000 Degrees Kelvin. For a time it was the most popular song on Audiosurf because the orange box music came with the game for free :)

Also, has anyone found the song that The National did for the game yet? It's in a really obvious Rat den but it's also easy to miss it simply because you're not looking for it (although I'll admit that I saw it in a video before checking it out myself).

I absolutely cannot wait for the map building tools to come out, by the way. I've played through single player three times and have every achievement except catching a bouncy blue box and beating that test chamber in less than 70 seconds. If anyone has beaten co-op and wants the Portal Professor achievement, add me on steam and we can do it to it as I have not touched co-op yet.

edit: I am an idot, http://steamcommunity.com/id/garianse :)

Man, the puzzles were so cleverly designed. I can't believe how well they expanded on the already awesome puzzles from Portal 1. Who's with me when I say that they were so cleverly conceived, that it made me feel like a freaking genius every time I solved one, especially there towards the end? :)

Concerning the ending:

*SPOILERS BELOW, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED*

So how awesome would it have been to get to the surface say, right in the middle of White Forest only to see Gordon Freeman drive by or something? I mean, we already know HL and Portal are linked. And the fact that the Aperature has gone to pot IMO maybe could be a great tie in to the resonance cascade and subsequent Combine invasion.

At the very least, i was slightly disappointed that you get released into a golden field on a beautiful day. It seems like the camera should have at least panned around to show some sort of apocalyptic ominous clouds of doom or burning forest/cities/whatever off in the distance.

Anyway, I loved the credits for both single player and co-op. I especially loved the choir of turrets. That was particularly brilliant. I also loved the cowboy-ish corrupt core that you installed on Wheatley. I feel bad that he's in space now. It wasn't his fault he turned baddie... :(

You could've just made the spoilers white text. :P

Nothing wrong with scrolling. ToMAYto ToMAHto. The both get the job done.

Speaking of which, I enjoyed co-op's puzzles much more than single player. There's probably several reasons for this, some of which are certainly subjective, but having 4 portals to work with in distinct pairs is really unique. The very last puzzle requires a particular logical leap that's used nowhere else in the game as far as I know.

You know what would have been awesome? Linked portal guns. Like, Mouse 1 for P1 ties into Mouse 1 for P2. Mouse 2 for P1 ties into Mouse 2.

That would enable them to release a whole new series of puzzles right there. :)

On an unrelated note, does anyone know why the Pneumatic Diversity Vents weren't included in the final product? The trailer featuring them was hilarious. All I can think of is that its only real application seemed to be clearing a room full of turrets.

I don't think I ever saw this preview until you mentioned that.

Link -

Now I'm disappointed that they weren't in there.

On a different subject, there's a particular test (I forget where, maybe half way through) where you start out by walking past a vent that has an unreachable turret in front of it, and what appears to be some sort of secret room behind it. Is that something we are supposed to be able to get to?

*SPOILERS BELOW, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED*

WELLLLLllllll

According to the timeline, this is hundreds of years after the the events in Half-Life 2. Granted, Gordon Freeman could've been put under again for a LONG time. From what I understand the events of Portal 1 take place right around the same time the Combine is invading. So HL2 and Portal 1 are taking place at relatively the same time. By the time Portal 2 comes along, the events of Episode 3 have already taken place, and it SOUNDS like humans won the war. Hinted by GLaDOS saying "I did see a human today, though".

I'm not sure whether or not she can even see outside, but in the first game she tells you how grim it is outside, and I'd think she'd keep bringing that up if the situation was really still bad out there. But ya'know...that's assuming she has any shred of honesty in her at all.

Anyway ALL THAT SAID, it's more likely that we'll see Aperture Science and what led up to Portal 2 mentioned a lot in Episode 3, rather than vice versa.

ALSO: The Aperture Science timeline doesn't seem to line up with the Cave Johnson dialogue in the game...leaves me kind of confused :|

I really do like how Portal 2 has an actual storyline where as Portal 1 was essentially puzzles, escape, and some implied story here and there. It comes off feeling like Portal 1 is a prologue to the real story that takes place here.

I also agree that the credits, while still a great song, isn't nearly as quirky and memorable as the original. It's definitely clever, but no where near as clever.

I also agree that the credits, while still a great song, isn't nearly as quirky and memorable as the original. It's definitely clever, but no where near as clever.

as long as everyone and their grandmother's dog isn't singing it at every half opportunity by this time next week idgaff

Where is this timeline you speak of? I'd be interested to take a peak. Also, stop raining on my fantasy! :lol:

Did anyone else think that Cave Johnson was like a funny version of Atlas? In fact, Aperature Science was basically like a funny version of Rapture from Bioshock.

http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Aperture_Science

I read through this last night.

Most of this information is also reiterated here:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2010/03/24/aperture-science_3a00_-a-history.aspx

But again...doesn't exactly add up.

On a different subject, there's a particular test (I forget where, maybe half way through) where you start out by walking past a vent that has an unreachable turret in front of it, and what appears to be some sort of secret room behind it. Is that something we are supposed to be able to get to?

It honestly wasn't any harder than Portal 1. It just took some time adjusting and reapplying what you know about portals with the new puzzle elements.

Also the puzzles got dumber when you left the underground.

Well them getting dumber does make some sense after you come back from the underground given what's been happening while you were off. ;)

Well them getting dumber does make some sense after you come back from the underground given what's been happening while you were off. ;)

I was expecting something a bit more maddening and perhaps a puzzle or two that integrated everything together.

And the last battle was even more braindead than the first Portal. Granted in context it is probably supposed to be dumb but eh it didn't have to be THAT dumb.

Still best game I've played this year so far though.