Portal 2

Rambo

I'd say marking spoilers until after the first weekend post-release should be a courtesy. That being said:

The game was freaking awesome. It took me quite a while to figure out how to coat the long mineshaft with the white paint. The feeling of "I'm awesomely intelligent" when I did was great though.

I am waiting on most of the multiplayer (thanks for playing the first world with me, BGC!) until after Holy Week when one of my fraternity buddies is free -- he's on seminary internship for now and this week is the busiest in the church calendar.

By the way, was anyone else disappointed when valve's writers threw away established in-game science in favor of entertainment? I'm referring to Chell not being shredded when she was sucked through the portal to the moon... you know, momentum being preserved and all?. I mean it WAS entertaining and "holy crap that's awesome" but still, it made me :( inside.

I'm more disappointed in that when you play through Portal 2, it's pretty apparent Aperture Science is REALLY into testing. For like...no reason whatsoever. First they payed a lot of money for Olympians, Astronauts, and war heroes, then they wanted to save money and started hiring hobos, and then they started making employees do mandatory tests because they were free.

At some point, they filled up huge reserves of test subjects, as shown when Wheatley talks about the people in cryosleep (either ten thousand, or tens of thousands? I don't remember, but it's a lot). I was suppose they're maybe prisoners given the orange jump suits, but who knows, that's beyond the point.

The point is, they REALLY like to test. GLaDOS had core components that required her to test and build chambers and test and test. Wheatley had to do the same thing when he controlled the facility. They never seemed to have an access of test subjects. So then WHY would GLaDOS try so adamantly to kill Chell in the first game? I mean that's what started this whole thing. GLaDOS tried to kill Chell for no reason. Not the other way around.

The only reason Wheatley even considered that as an option is because he found the robots. He'd NEVER have killed her otherwise because then he couldn't test.

Seeing how they seeming put a lot of resources into preserving test subjects in those hotel room chambers, I really can't see why GLaDOS would try to kill a perfectly good, healthy, young, test subject whom generally performs pretty well (I mean let's be honest, Chell is able to dismantle the entire facility, twice, in only like 12 hours tops active time).

if you really want to gripe about something nonsensical how about the deepest part of the aperture science labs being somewhere in the outer core of the earth

You my friend need to study up a little:Assuming this is not simply a case of incorrectly assuming 'm' is miles, the earths crust ranges from 5km (thinnest oceanic regions) to 70km (thickest continental regions). North America sits between 30km and 45km and the depth as seen in game is well within that range (4500m to maybe 5000m) [url/]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structure_of_the_Earth

Not sure I would consider portal2 to be as "hard" as the first one, most of the puzzles seemed to be solved by looking for the white panel where the portal could be placed. Not to say I breezed through all the puzzles, a few, specifically the one where you get the whiteout achievement, had me stumped because I wasn't looking in the right direction.

I'm more disappointed in that when you play through Portal 2, it's pretty apparent Aperture Science is REALLY into testing. For like...no reason whatsoever. First they payed a lot of money for Olympians, Astronauts, and war heroes, then they wanted to save money and started hiring hobos, and then they started making employees do mandatory tests because they were free.

At some point, they filled up huge reserves of test subjects, as shown when Wheatley talks about the people in cryosleep (either ten thousand, or tens of thousands? I don't remember, but it's a lot). I was suppose they're maybe prisoners given the orange jump suits, but who knows, that's beyond the point.

The point is, they REALLY like to test. GLaDOS had core components that required her to test and build chambers and test and test. Wheatley had to do the same thing when he controlled the facility. They never seemed to have an access of test subjects. So then WHY would GLaDOS try so adamantly to kill Chell in the first game? I mean that's what started this whole thing. GLaDOS tried to kill Chell for no reason. Not the other way around.

The only reason Wheatley even considered that as an option is because he found the robots. He'd NEVER have killed her otherwise because then he couldn't test.

Seeing how they seeming put a lot of resources into preserving test subjects in those hotel room chambers, I really can't see why GLaDOS would try to kill a perfectly good, healthy, young, test subject whom generally performs pretty well (I mean let's be honest, Chell is able to dismantle the entire facility, twice, in only like 12 hours tops active time).

Keep in mind that the very first thing GLaDOS did upon activation was try to kill everyone around her for no real reason. Even with "morality" installed, and being an AI/computer system, she's not exactly a rational, stable being. She's got routines and protocols and all, but she's also got a pointless sadistic streak that existed even before Chell makes it personal.

I finished the single player campaign, but haven't touched co-op yet (so if someone needs that one achievement, let me know, I'm down for it). I tend to agree with the people who've been saying that most of the puzzles were pretty easily solvable by finding the portal-able surface, which was frustrating a few times when they were in obscure places that were hard to notice. The only time I got really stuck (as in, had to look up the solution) was in

(spoilers on the link, obviously) because I didn't notice the bit of ceiling near the wall you could put a portal on. I actually managed to get to the upper level without using that, but then I was stuck because you have to use their solution to progress. I also found an alternate solution to
(more spoilers), by putting a portal on the slanted panel and building up momentum by repeatedly flinging myself through it via moving the portal on the floor so fell through it. I guess I just like the portal-cascade thing a little too much.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. My wife, who really isn't into games, loved watching me play the first one, mainly for Glados' talking. She really enjoyed watching this one, especially with Wheatley. I just wish I knew a way to get the soundtrack, I love the chiptune sound they incorporated with this one, and the final song.

I would have hated being Colton, he probably had a LOT of pressure to live up to the first song (which is near impossible to top.

Now the wait for Half Life Episode 3......:cry:

Wheatly was freakin' hilarious. Anyone impressed by the sound design? They had some binarual mixed stuff for sure; you could close your eyes and imagine you were in said chamber.

I'm more disappointed in that... SPOILERSPOILERSTUFF
I'd assume that in the first game there were more subjects than just Chell. She gets frozen for like 9999999...etc days and she's apparently not the only one who was frozen, just the only one who was woken up.

I've never played the new ending to the first Portal, so I don't know if anything contradicts me there.

Managed to finish Portal 2 on the PS3 before seeing this thread; rather nice that it didn't even ask me to install itself onto the system as it played just fine off disc.

Whole game was fun, theories rose and dissipated through out it all for me and the end felt satisfactory to me;Considering the ending of the first just seem to have hinted that Chell either had died with her first escape attempt or just fainted and left us in the dark. Of course after realizing they had altered the ending to make it seem she was dragged back to within the confines of the facility it makes more sense in context of Portal 2 occurring.

All in all it just makes me more hungry for Episode 3 which then would lead up to HL3 :V

Also considering I have seen certain games get free DLC on the PS3, I'm hoping if they do decide to add any that it'll be free par to Valve's efforts on their games... If not there's always the pc version for me to get it for...