Portal 2

Rambo

How exactly does Portal 2 happen 200 years after Portal 1? I don't think Chell was in stasis or anything. She woke up in what looked like a hotel room.

The hotel room is a sort of stasis chamber.

Hence why it tells you the number of days you were in suspended animation when you wake up... and the second time it wakes you up, it says something like 99999 days.

The hotel room is a sort of stasis chamber.

Hence why it tells you the number of days you were in suspended animation when you wake up... and the second time it wakes you up, it says something like 99999 days.

I guess so, but it does seem odd that you'd be in a room at all, when people are clearly in stasis tubes as shown at the end of the co-op game.

The computer says 9-9-9-9-9...9-9 days, which is over 27,000 years according to a quick calculator check. I think that the computer at the relaxation center is probably an unreliable source of information due to whatever damage occurred after Chell is first woken from stasis... who knows what happened though, unless it was merely fallout from GLaDOS being offline.

Um...there were plenty of opportunities to pick this game up for something like 35-45 bucks before it even came out. I mean obviously the game will drop in price or go on sale again, as all PC games do, but it's kind of silly to lament the price point of a game that just came out last week; never mind the fact that it's well worth 50 dollars as it is now anyway.

Um, i got the first game free for something like 12 hours of gameplay.

This game seems to have the same amount of gameplay, but they want $50 dollars for it. Even with the replay value of co-op/multiplayer, it's still coming out a little low on the value scale. I probably won't be picking it up until it's on sale either. This is, of course, a personal decision, but i think it's still a valid way to approach it.

Um, i got the first game free for something like 12 hours of gameplay.

This game seems to have the same amount of gameplay, but they want $50 dollars for it. Even with the replay value of co-op/multiplayer, it's still coming out a little low on the value scale. I probably won't be picking it up until it's on sale either. This is, of course, a personal decision, but i think it's still a valid way to approach it.

Really? The first time I played through Portal it took me about 4 hours.

Really? The first time I played through Portal it took me about 4 hours.

I played around with a couple of different solutions to things, retried maps, i got about 12 hours of enjoyment out of it. But since it was free, it's hard to figure out what would be good a price for the sequel.

I played around with a couple of different solutions to things, retried maps, i got about 12 hours of enjoyment out of it. But since it was free, it's hard to figure out what would be good a price for the sequel.

The sequel is considerably longer. As I recall, the game is split into either 9 or 10 chapters, with a number of test chambers and other things in each one.

Portal 1 was never priced "Free", it came bundled with Orange box or was stand alone somewhere $20-30 i think. Right now its $10 and still not "Free" so not sure where you get that its a free game.

I do not think that its really worth the $50 its currently being sold for, even though I thoroughly enjoyed it. $30-40 would be a better price

So is there an easier way to listen to all of the audio commentary rather than playing through the game?

See the method I mentioned for ripping the audio out of the game, the commentary is in /sound/commentary

Portal 1 was never priced "Free", it came bundled with Orange box or was stand alone somewhere $20-30 i think. Right now its $10 and still not "Free" so not sure where you get that its a free game.

I do not think that its really worth the $50 its currently being sold for, even though I thoroughly enjoyed it. $30-40 would be a better price

At some point, Valve gave away copies of portal to people. I can't remember why, but both mrs bark and i got it at that time. I think if you go to valve's youtube channel, they have an ad for it, that says 'used to be free'. I agree it sounds like a great game, but i'm not sure on the value return for it. I'll pick it up, once it's on sale.

At some point, Valve gave away copies of portal to people. I can't remember why, but both mrs bark and i got it at that time. I think if you go to valve's youtube channel, they have an ad for it, that says 'used to be free'. I agree it sounds like a great game, but i'm not sure on the value return for it. I'll pick it up, once it's on sale.

It was given away free during the "SteamPlay"/"Steam for Mac" system's beginnings, unless I'm mistaken.

It was free for quite some time, too.

Had a busy week so wasn't able to sit down and get through the single player until this weekend. That said it was absolutely spectacular, the characters are just so well done and thoroughly entertaining, and the story managed to be different enough from Portal 1 while still keeping that familiarity and often using it in new, unexpected ways.

The new puzzle elements added some creative new layers of thinking to the solutions, and the more frequent shifts between "just figuring out where to go next" versus "solving a test chamber" helped keep things more fresh.

Looking forward to co-op, no real doubt that it will add even more layers of thinking to the puzzles. Was surprising but cool to see how involved the multiplayer character set up is (TF2 style), I won't complain about getting access to my Tyrant's Helm though! I will assume this means we'll probably see a lot more levels for co-op eventually as having this whole character setup system for just the (handful of?) launch co-op levels seems like massive overkill.

There's a lot more material in Portal 2 than there is in Portal. If you got 12 hours of enjoyment out of that game, you'll get a lot more out of the second one.

Giving away a game during a promotion does not mean the game was free. It may not of cost YOU anything, but the game has a retail price.

You'll note i've made no other claims other than it cost me nothing and my experiences.

There's a lot more material in Portal 2 than there is in Portal. If you got 12 hours of enjoyment out of that game, you'll get a lot more out of the second one.

I'm sure i will. I just don't think it's worth $50 to me at this point.

The computer says 9-9-9-9-9...9-9 days, which is over 27,000 years according to a quick calculator check. I think that the computer at the relaxation center is probably an unreliable source of information due to whatever damage occurred after Chell is first woken from stasis... who knows what happened though, unless it was merely fallout from GLaDOS being offline.

Actually says 9-9-9-9-9.....9-9-9-9-9 days(Found the audio file) So either it's extremely far in the future(If the repeat wasn't a glitch)...or it's around 270 years.

9,999,999,999 days is an extremely long time though and the facility would be in a much MUCH worse state

Portal 2 was a good game.

HOWEVER

Without SDK it is not worth 50 admission. With being able to beat the game in under 6 hours, and no real reason to replay, it is just not worth the praise it is getting.

I wouldn't say that. While the replay value of puzzle/solution games might not be super high by default, I think it did a good job of presenting not only some cool story telling but also plenty of cool details and dialogue bits and easter eggs that will make the game worth revisiting at least a time or two down the road. Maybe not immediately, but isn't that at least par for the course for most good games?

haha, excellent find!