OCR02099 - Silent Line: Armored Core "Morning, Thinker"

djpretzel

This is really catchy. Great work! I like how DA's vocals make me think of Imogen Heap. Might just be the effects, but, whatever, it's cool. I also find it great that DA's getting to show just how versatile her voice is with all the mixes she's been ending up in. Oh, and AnSo's good too. :P

If you're not paying attention around 1:43, it starts to sound like "I thank God. I thank God. I thank God." #cantunhearit

Finally Anosou is manning up enough to rock out a little! ;-)

I love the catchy energy of this one, and the variations on the melody. Guitar playing was good, with some nice counter melodies, and a good mix of clean and distorted playing. The synths all worked well, no surprise there. Vocals were super crazy but very cool.

The little piano flourishes were really nice and fit well into the track, and really everything works together.

Nice work Mattias, you will always be my second-favorite Swede. <3

Nice work Deia, you will always be my drastic baby. <3

Awesome collab!

I very rarely post in the review threads, something I should really do more often.

But this track was so awesome I had to speak up. Anso, more of this please!! :P And Deia, awesome work -- how much material did you actually record for this? Anso really working the filters here to great effect. <3 to both of you!

So, for some reason this reminds me of some other track on OCR, and I can't figure out what it is. The key is in the notes to "I'm a thinker, I could break it down." They sound like some other song on OCR that I can't get out of my head, but I also can't figure out what it is, so I figure this is the best place to turn. The things I know about the mystery track:

1. It's trance-ish, with a 4-on-the-floor beat during at least the part that sounds like this song.

2. There is, coincidentally, a female vocalist in it as well.

3. The only lyric I can remember has something to do with "forever".

If you have any ideas, let me know, it's bugging the heck out of me!

P.S. Is there any way to search for songs with female vocalists, which might help drastically here?

Wow, this song is really cool stuff, pretty out there in terms of instrumentation and structure. The comparison to Imogen Heap is definitely fitting - not just the vocal effects, but also the mishmash of guitars and electronics.

So, for some reason this reminds me of some other track on OCR, and I can't figure out what it is. The key is in the notes to "I'm a thinker, I could break it down." They sound like some other song on OCR that I can't get out of my head, but I also can't figure out what it is, so I figure this is the best place to turn. The things I know about the mystery track:

1. It's trance-ish, with a 4-on-the-floor beat during at least the part that sounds like this song.

2. There is, coincidentally, a female vocalist in it as well.

3. The only lyric I can remember has something to do with "forever".

If you have any ideas, let me know, it's bugging the heck out of me!

P.S. Is there any way to search for songs with female vocalists, which might help drastically here?

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02078/ ? One of the only English words in it is "forever", in any case.

Well this is an interesting mix.

I gotta say at first, I wasn't sure. The first minute or so bothered me a little for three reasons: I didn't think the drums fitted well with the rest of the instruments, i'd have put the strings lower in the background than they were, and it didn't quite expand enough to keep my interest. However, after the 1st minute, things got really interesting with the sudden change of pace to hard rock, which seems a little too processed for my liking, but still pretty cool :)

There are some really cool moments tho. The vocals are great (altho the distortion seems to be causing some sort of distorted pops or something... seems intentional but i'd have prefered a cleaner distortion on those vocals). Neptune right? I haven't got reason 5/record yet. The synths are pretty cool as well, have a chiptunish feel to them.

So there are some small problems I do have with this mix but overall, this is a cool mix and very much recommended if you like electronic or rock music... which should be everyone right? :P

Anso has been moving towards weirder and weirder instrument combinations, and those sound choices can get a bit detracting imo. This track seems like a random sound experiment until the break around 1:10 where it kicks into a more focused gear. Vocals are expressive and processed in a really cool way, impressive work guys. I oughta steal some ideas from this track. This is a lot better than what I expected from just reading the lyrics tab. :D

This is the weirdest thing I've heard from AnSo and DEFINITELY the stranges from DA. AWESOME!

This is totally unexpected in every sense of the word. The sounds used, the choice to include vocals and then to process them so heavily. The lyrics being catchy and cute all at once.

This kind of reminds me of some of the cooler stuff that comes out of Japan, with processed vocals and catchy, high tempo beats. Of course, I can't think of any particular examples, but then again this is just a reminder for me.

I love it though, and as someone who is an Armoured Core fan, I can't help but glee a bit at the OST being covered by AnSo! With special guests!

Also, I just want to aside for one second. DA - does every mix you collab on just magically turn to Gold? I haven't heard one I haven't liked. I mean, I've had some issues with a couple but damnit, there's nothing you've helped out on that hasn't been enjoyable! Mix that with the musical genius of Sweden and this is like... oooh... platinum.

• 1 month later...

After listening to the sources, I can see why Anso fell in love with the music. Wow, they're amazing, and what Anso and DA did with them... DANG. It's just mind blowing.

It took me a while to catch on to this mix, but when I did, it was like the clouds had parted.

I adore how the strings are handled; if I were data being sent along the internet, that's how I imagine it would sound speeding through the internet. I also just love DA's vocals here, not just the effects Anso applied to them, but like the inflection in her voice when she gets to "baby". It's just really cool. There's just so many things done amazing with this mix.

This is singlehandedly my favorite mix from Anso and DA. If you haven't listened to it now, go do it now.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02099 - Silent Line: Armored Core "Morning, Thinker"