Downtempo/Chill ~ 24 Shades - Tuned Logic

Tuned Logic

UPDATE: Thanks for all of the comments, and I hope you enjoy the music!

See http://tunedlogic.com if you haven't grabbed the album yet!

Hey all,

I just released my first album, and I think many of you would appreciate it; my style is heavily influenced by game music. These are all original pieces (with the exception of my cover song single), and they are all pretty different from each other.

I had trouble classifying a genre for this album; it really has a bunch of different stuff; think of it like an OCR front page of originals :)

Anywho, the iTunes link for both the album and the single is below. Many of you will probably recognize the song I covered in the single (it's not game music, and I apologize ahead of time, but the cover song is only available in the US; album is international). I hope you all enjoy it; this place has been great to me. The album will be available on Amazon, eMusic, CDBaby, and others in due time.

24shadesr.jpg

http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/tuned-logic/id393980110

Update: CD Baby Link: http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/TunedLogic

Update 2 : You can listen to the tracks here: http://www.youtube.com/user/TLogicM

Update 3, by popular demand: bandcamp_130x27_black.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

Just an update with some more links, in case anyone is interested.

Amazon MP3:

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1287460964/ref=sr_shvl_1-all?ie=UTF8&keywords=tuned%20logic&rh=k%3Atuned%20logic%2Ci%3Adigital-music%2Cn%3A163856011%2Cn%3A%21624868011%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A625150011

Last.fm

http://www.last.fm/music/Tuned+Logic/24+Shades

eMusic: http://www.emusic.com/album/Tuned-Logic-24-Shades-MP3-Download/12151612.html

GreatIndieMusic: http://www.greatindie.com/ipnmusic/store/list.php?item_number=884502786071

Bandcamp will hopefully be up in the near future; I have no time! Haha.

Anyway, even if you don't buy it, please have a listen on YouTube! I always appreciate comments/criticisms from fellow forum members so I can keep making better music (including better ReMixes :D).

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I love this album. Some great chillout genre stuff here. Very airy and encompassing. The more upbeat songs are just bubbly enough to lift my mood :D Reminds me of a higher quality Ragnarok OST.

You're right though, it is hard to give your album a genre, which is very rare these days. Great work! Very happy you shared and I found.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I totally missed this somehow, excellent stuff, really digging this!

"Never Better" is really standing out to me so far, but it's all great really, different atmospheres throughout the album, just like you described. This group of genres has really become one of my hands down favorites in the last couple years and if stuff like this keeps showing up, that isn't likely to change any time soon!

• 2 weeks later...

^Glad you like it!

First review posted for those interested:

DIY-er (“Do-it-your-selfer”) and one-man show Michael Feinstein, a.k.a. Tuned Logic, shows how far the imagination can escape by simply utilizing a computer and some electronic equipment to blend euro-techno rants with contemporary jazz aesthetics and electronic elements on his debut album, 24 Shades. As crafty and artful as the music is, the songs are sometimes formulaic in their structure and hence, become predictable after awhile. Still, they’re no less inviting and pleasing to listen to. These formulaic songs are ideal for movies and television shows that require dramatic, mood-creating loops.

24 Shades starts off with mid-tempo easy-listener “Night Lights.” The glittery synthesizer strings and wobbly bass lines are effortless and make this song an ear-pleaser. Like most of the songs on 24 Shades, “Night Lights”’ melody and arrangement shifts smoothly through dynamic variations creating a multitude of moods within each song section. These mini-moods are a signature throughout the artist’s work. “Caught in the Rain” also starts off in a mid-tempo loop and includes a deliberate banging on a classical piano, but then quickly builds into a rhythmic breakout of boogie synths and electro drumbeats. It’s simultaneously playful and dynamic.

The record takes a turn for the funk with “Never Better.” Its collage of big beats and synth sounds include a bass-like boom which pumps throughout the song. The song’s catchy melody is craving for some kicking vocals, but instead are lead by a lone electric-sounding synth. “Never Better” pushes an infectious and optimistic mood into the listener’s purview. Some of the moods created on 24 Shades are just the kind of sounds made for television shows and movies. “Still” is a delicate balance of classic piano laced with the sound of pattering rain, echoing clatter and acoustic guitar. The piano loops into a series of repetitive notes that create an eerie aural sensation. The mood and atmosphere is made creepier by the minute as the piano continues on in its repetitive hypnotic rage. Music producers looking for good soundtracks for their thrillers or crime dramas should pay close attention.

The mood shifts completely with “Midnight Reflection.” The artist reaches into his contemporary jazz repertoire of lounge-sounds. There is enough musically going in “Midnight Reflection” to keep a relaxed listener engaged. However, at times, there were unnecessary touches, like the hissing synth sounds made to define a new verse. Even though the sleepy pace of “Midnight Reflection” borders on music heard in the background of medical offices, it is a well-produced track that complements the other moods played out on 24 Shades.

Another techno track in the same vein as album-opener “Night Lights” is “Pulse.” Appropriately named for its pulsating bass line spouting throughout, “Pulse” illuminates the artist’s dance and rhythm tendencies with screechy synths, adding a symphonic dimension to the song. “Pulse” would fit in perfectly on an all-night dance-club set along with other electro-techno maestros like The Juan MacLean or LCD Soundsystem. “Unwind” is a trip hop respite from the dance and techno sounds prevalent on the album. It takes the listener into a dusty contemporary jazz progression, led by a series of atmospheric synth sweeps and delicate touches of rain. “Unwind”’s dramatic mood makes it good food for TV crime dramas or movie dream scenes. The pitter-patter of rain and pelting synths toward the end of the song add a haunting layer.

“Pure Imagination,” the song from the 1971 classic film Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory, is a euro techno spin of the classic Willy Wonka song. The synth maestro pulls off his version using carefully drawn industrial-sounding synthesizers that whiz, ping and whine throughout. Perhaps a disco mash-up with “The Candy Man” would have been an appropriate touch on 24 Shades? Nonetheless, the cover song choice is a smart and whimsical selection, and will definitely serve as a fan favorite on this album.

Music producers looking for some soundtracks to their crime drama or thriller projects would benefit from Tuned Logic’s ear for atmospherics, while fans of ambient and dance music acts like Moby, The Juan MacLean or any of the pioneering electro-dance music borne out of DFA records would perk up to the sounds of 24 Shades.

Review by Michael Morgan

Rating: 4 stars (out of 5)