Metroid Prime 1/2 Soundfont/Sounds?

ncocs

I just want to say that "learn synthesis" is probably the best advice in this thread. Once you know synths, you can make most of the sounds you want. The rest of the sounds you can probably create with a sampler and some effects by the time you know synths well enough.

Seriously. Get a synth (3xOSC or whatever), turn everything down to it's most basic state, then start screwing with it to really get an idea of what does what. I would recommend a synth with a clean interface like TAL-Ekek7ro or FreeAlpha (use google). They both come with factory presets that you can learn from. Read up on synthesis, look at other synths, listen to what ppl do with synths... learn that stuff.

If you don't learn this, you'll always have to come to someone else to get the sounds you need, even when you could make those sounds in a minute yourself.

I just want to say that "learn synthesis" is probably the best advice in this thread. Once you know synths, you can make most of the sounds you want. The rest of the sounds you can probably create with a sampler and some effects by the time you know synths well enough.

Seriously. Get a synth (3xOSC or whatever), turn everything down to it's most basic state, then start screwing with it to really get an idea of what does what. I would recommend a synth with a clean interface like TAL-Ekek7ro or FreeAlpha (use google). They both come with factory presets that you can learn from. Read up on synthesis, look at other synths, listen to what ppl do with synths... learn that stuff.

If you don't learn this, you'll always have to come to someone else to get the sounds you need, even when you could make those sounds in a minute yourself.

Learning synthesis seems like too big of a job for me right now. I'm still in school, and I'm already short on time as it is. I can't take the time to learn synthesis. That's why right now I'm trying to get suggestions for these great sounds that I LOOOVE.

Is nobody going to give me any suggestions for the most recent songs posted?

If you don't have time to learn synthesis, why do you have time to make music at all? ;)

You don't become a musician in 24 hours. It's something you spend a lifetime on.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=synthesizer+boot+camp&aq=f

There, go watch that. Basic and byte-sized.

Now, synthesis is not that super-useful on a SNES - which is sample-based. On the other hand, when you cut down a sample to a small enough piece, you usually end up with something you can synthesize; and that knowledge is useful for a lot more than plain techno bleeps and bloops or chiptunes.

Since the SNES has a soundchip with only a small amount of memory, lots of sounds aren't rendered realistically at all; if you'd given those composers the choice between the SNES and real instruments and synthesizers, they would've chosen the latter. What's in the SNES is a pale imitation; but it says quite a bit that it still sounds good (and it appeals to people) after all that time (and that's mostly thanks to theory and composition, not synthesis).

Gah, I'm getting old. Anyway, there are no Metroid Prime soundfonts because the music in Prime can not be pulled apart that way.

Here, get these: http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/the-13-best-free-vst-plug-ins-in-the-world-today-277953/ and these http://audionewsroom.blogspot.com/search/label/freeware . It'll give you a neat combination of synthetic sounds and realistic ones; additionally you could throw in E-mu's Proteus VX in there (which is free after signing up with their mailing list; then you can unsubscribe if you want to).

Even then, the comments about synthesis still ring true; for the atmospheric sounds, you need to build your own - or cough up the money. The less work you want to do, the more it's going to cost. For instance, Omnisphere has some amazing movie soundtrack pad sounds right out of the box, but it's $479.

Besides free, also look at "dirt cheap". http://www.audiomidi.com/String-Studio-VS-1-No-Brainer-Deal-P14511.aspx is pretty good (used to cost $99). Cobalt is pretty great - http://www.lesliesanford.com/Products.shtml .

Sample libraries for percussion also don't cost a lot.

For a few bucks you have more power at your hands than I had from 1990 to 2005.

After finishing today's lesson with Rozovian, I feel confident in my Synthesis abilities. Suggestions would still be nice though. So really, I'm saying that I'M done with this thread, but will still be watching for suggestions.

To get your metroid prime synth sounds, follow prophet's instructions (because you can actually UNDERSTAND them now)

Would you hand any 16-year old who's had a single driving lesson the keys of your car?

Well no. I'm going to MAKE the sounds that I asked for with prophet's instructions. Then, I'm going to stop speaking on this thread, and hopefully as other people do, I'll get some more sounds out of it.

Practice a month or so (this doesn't mean 8 hours per day) on listening to various combinations of basic waveforms (sine, saw, pulse, square, modulated pulse) at various tunings - third, fifth, octave, two octaves - all up and down. Then, apply filters to those combinations. Internalize those, because that's going to help you immensely when you want to learn how to mimic sounds.

And that's just subtractive; you can do amazing stuff that's hard/impossible with subtractive with lots of other things. Except for orchestral sounds which are sample-based anyway it can save you a huge load of money, because more plugins invariably means more overlap. Lots of free stuff is simply the hundredth incarnation of (classic synthesizer) and doesn't really add anything new; lots of paid stuff is the same.

Nightmare mode; pick a sound you like, start up the demo of Reason (quits after 20 minutes) and try to mimic a sound - any sound - before it closes.

So, yeah, serious business :-)

or just twiddle dem knobs and go 'oooh! ahhh!'

dunno, that's how i remember my first encounters with a synth. it kinda was more fun to do at that point, and after a while of doing this i got the hang of basic subtractive synth architecture.

i read up on filters, envelopes and all that a while later, but what really got me started with synthesizers was the process of twiddling knobs and waiting for the crazee shit to happen.

YMMV ofcourse.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...