Real Names: Devon Genzler and Thomas McQuaid

Email: Moogri@gmail.com

UserID Number: 33934

Submission Information

Game Remixed: Final Fantasy II

Song Remixed: Battle

Link To Original Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVU9un_8RcA

Link To Remixed Version:

Comments: Four years ago when we first starting making music, we wanted to do some remixes of Final Fantasy songs, and this was our first attempt. It sat in our iTunes since then untouched after our initial remix. It was terrible. So a few months ago we decided to touch up our old remixes and use what we've learned

since then to make them better. This is what we came up with. The first one we did was a hard rock remix, and we thought it'd be kinda neat to add a

hip-hop type element to it to make it stand out. Hope you guys enjoy it, and expect to hear more from us as we've got a whole lot lined up to send in.

------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVU9un_8RcA

I like some of the arrangement ideas that you have. The opening I thought worked particularly well, being a lot more laid back. After that, however, you seemed to almost lose steam. I personally don't think the combination of the synth you have for the melody and the overly crunchy bass is working as well as it could, but that might be due to the production issues. I'd like to hear some more variation in the instrument choices. The addition of the guitar was nice, but the transition itself was a little strange. I was disappointed when the source started to repeat almost verbatim to what it did the first time. I'd like to have heard more variation in the melody at that point into the guitar solo, and less going on during the solo itself; it gets a bit cluttered. I like how you handled the drums throughout, which was a nice plus.

0:23 hits you like a blow. Things are way loud and overcompressed from then on to the end of the song. You really need cut back on that and taper off the levels to get a good balance here. On a similar note, the guitar comes in pretty loud over everything else, and gets overpowering.

I think the production is the big issue that you need to tackle first, but there is some work needed on the arrangement side of things as well. Please make use of our WIP boards to get this one cleaned up, and I'd like to hear it again. NO (resubmit)

The production here is definitely below our bar. Everything is very dry, compressed, and muddy (too much bass/low freqs.) The different parts are not mixed well - the guitars/bass for example are way too loud whereas you can't really hear the kick. The sound choices don't really make much sense. Is it a hip hop track, metal or trance? The blend of completely different genres doesn't really work. The lead is too piercing in the high range and its lack of any kind of vibrato or modulation makes it very plain. The arrangement is OK (at least it isn't a direct MIDI rip) but there aren't really any variations of the source material and if anything it is just simplified and it simply ends. There aren't any dynamics or a sense of beginning, middle and ending.

Now, I'm not trying to be overly critical here and I don't want to discourage you guys from remixing. My early mixes basically sounded like this. But do take advantage of our WIP forums and keep practicing. You should also listen to the remixes we've posted lately to get an idea of where our bar is, in both arrangement and production.

NO OVERRIDE