OCR01265 - *YES* Double Dragon 2 'Mean Streak on Main Street'

djpretzel

The bad before the good. Stuff like that damn slap bass, bah, that's already an Ari staple but it sounds like trash, and I thought the half note drum snaps were overbearing at times as opposed to the other drums hits which were too sedate and didn't fill out the track as well as I felt they could have. The presentation here felt WIP-ish, analogous to how the sounds with "Forest Birdcussion" weren't quite as full last February with his OGG WIP, before he looked at everything and went for fuller sounds in the final version for that mix.

No particular problems here though. Some people won't like the sound choices here and on that level I'm sure there could have been more refinement there, but in many ways (and I know this isn't a great analogy), like I mentioned to Ari on VGF when I talked to him about this, many of the sounds really came across to me like someone pushing the limits of the SNES's sound chip. The synth guitar along with most everything else had a very good 16-bit type texture, which wasn't anything Ari was actively going for as far as I know, but it was there in spirit. Very creative work, and I enjoyed most aspects of the medley; great arrangement ideas, and good transitions on the whole.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

so yeah...the bass is uber-cheesy.

but the groove is...uh...i think the technical term is "kickin'" and as ususal, Prot manages to make fake electric guitars sound like "not ass". sorry for all the technical terms. the solos are excellent, and the leads blend together and transition exceptionally. There are occasions when i wish the organ played more complex chords that didnt mirror the melody. the mix is dying for a good rhythm organ part. the mix does well enough without, although i tend to feel like the mix is lacking in the harmony department. comping needed.

Some things i would have done differently, but on the whole it's quite solid.

"YES"

A couple of issues I had with this mix, I thought this could do with more padding or instrumentation. It felt sparse. Also the snare's sharpness isn't too pleasant on headphones.

This really has a very japanese feel as far as the synth design goes. A very good thing. :) The sequencing and programming of the synths are great. Prot did a great job on it. Could do with more short reverb or delay for the whole piece imo. Sounds a little dry for my taste. Didn't really dig the ending personally.

Really loved the series when I was a kid, and given my familiarity, I thought prot did a very nice job on the arrangement.

Good job prot. YES

There isn't much to say. Ari always makes great things with less than great samples. The processing, arrangement and overall energy of the track is absolutely great. It has a lo-fi quality, while retaining a very authentic electronic vibe. It's a little more sparse than previous offerings, but still absolutely acceptable.

The ending is fine by me, it's a rad little b section that gets things moving to the conclusion. Overall, very solid work.

YES

-D